PDA

View Full Version : schools in floida stuck cant decide

vroooom
06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi my name is Arthur i attented SPC i have a gen AA degree i been wanted to do computer animation/game design, but i can't decided what school to attend i live in st.pete for me right now the issue is moving out cant right now at this moment so i would like something in the area like tampa sarasota. I heared there is a good school in orlando FULL SAIL but to far away. I went looked at ITT and IADT but look extermely crapy so, i would like to make career out of it and end up working for big industries i know its hard but i like to push my self for what i like to do, and i know most of it depends on your demo. So whats your suggestions in schools or online school that are good that i can take to have Bachelor's degree

lucerro
06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
call up full sail and take one of their monthly tours and you will be sold, the place is amazing, basically its a fully functioning studio complete with backlot, mocap facility and a working TV studio and more I'm there now and love it. Hours are hellish but you get abachelors degree in under 2 years, (21 months)

pher
06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Arthur, a few things:

Check out Ringling (www.ringling.edu). It's one of the most highly regarded art schools in the states. It's up there with RISD. I wish I had known more about it when I went to school in Tampa and then Gainesville.

You're always going to hear stories from one side or the other about Full Sail. It's worth a visit b/c it's so close. While you are there go visit UCF. A good friend of mine is a successful lead designer here in Emeryville, CA (home of Pixar) and he went through the animation program there.

Work on your english. That's the kind of thing that will get you passed over for consideration at schools and jobs.

--chris

Erdauq
06-26-2009, 02:20 AM
call up full sail and take one of their monthly tours and you will be sold, the place is amazing, basically its a fully functioning studio complete with backlot, mocap facility and a working TV studio and more I'm there now and love it. Hours are hellish but you get a bachelors degree in under 2 years, (21 months)

I was thinking on going to Full Sail after one of their representatives came to our school... im still in high school though (going to 11th grade this year). How are the hours there? Like do you have classes everyday, etc? Anything would be helpful.

pher
06-26-2009, 02:56 AM
That's the thing about Full Sail. You're going to have class very early and very late with weekends also.

Expect to have your butt in a seat for ~60 hours a week. And then toss homework on top of that.

taxguy
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Be careful about Full Sail. Any school that tries to condense four years into two will be VERY intense. It isn't for everyone. You really need to know yourself.

In addition, Full Sail isn't cheap. You will be paying almost what the normal cost would be for a four year program.

Finally, art and design take a lot of time to really develop. I am not sure that the shortened time frame is beneficial.

Carlos
07-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Hi Arthur,

Without any intention to sell you any school at all I would recomend that if you come to Orlando area to check on Full Sail pass also by Dave School. It is a little school in Universal Studios. It is a 1 year program full of assignments, They will not teach you art and design but they will show you how model, animate and create special effects. So if you aiming to learn art this is not the best school. It is a hands on the job school. You can check their website at www.daveschool.com (http://www.daveschool.com). I have 3 classmate in my block that quitted out of Full Sail complaining of the quality of teaching.

Any school you decide to assist before signing any paper ask them to let you seat for an hour on any of their class. If they don't let you or give you any crappy excuses it is a sign that they are not confident with their program. Before signing in Dave School I check on 3 school before, 1 in Fort Lauderdale and 2 in Miami, not worthy, they use the follow the tutorial approach for their curriculum. I decided that I wouldn't pay $15K a year to read and follow tutorials.

Good luck Arthur, I hope that you land on the best school possible.

Carlos

KThnxBye
07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Weee first post is a rant! we're off to a good start, lol!

This guy has been keeping a pretty good vlog on his Full Sail experience http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreativeItch. He seems to really like it but the really good thing about it is that you actually get to see some of the projects they do on a regular basis.

I personally have been considering transferring to Full Sail or some other schools for the fall, but I think I might stick to working for now and maybe taking some art classes on the side. Everything is just so dang expensive! Full Sail really does look like a great school but I already have a semi video game job [army contractor work] and with the current economy and the fact that I am going to be paying for the school through loans scares me a little. I think I could teach myself a lot by just participating in forums like this one. If you are worried about the money like me, you might want to check out this thread over at polycount http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=60320 it helped me think things through at least. If you don't want to read it, pretty much this guy asks if he should pay $80k to get his BS in some game related field and then there are about 4 pages of replies that say that it's way too much money... anddd there are some other details but I'm starting to feel like I'm going a little off subject so I'll stop now :P.

Also, UCF is way cheaper but here is their featured animated video on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/user/UCFAnimation I mean, yeah who knows how long the students actually had to work on it but as far as animation goes it's... well, you decide. I have heard it's a good school though, this is just my 2 cents mostly based on what I've seen from this video and others from them...

All in all though, the most important thing to remember is that you can't expect to go to a school and just go with the flow, you have to try to be, not the best in the class, but the best you can be. If you're someone who needs to compare your work to someone else, don't compare it to someone's in your class, find the most awesome work you can online or wherever and compare it to that. If you have to, ask for help online or find some tutorials to get you where you want to go. And remember, it's not all about which school you go to it's more about what you make of it as a student.

ericdibuono
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
The best you can hope for from itch is help learning about the loan process and pre-requisites before coming to full sail. I know him and he is not a very reliable source of information. I am coming down the home stretch in Full Sail with a focus in organic modeling and there is one very simple thing you need to know about this school: if you can't take responsibility for yourself, do not come here. It will just wind up being a waste of money. I've heard many people complain about the teachers or the classes and they always wind up being the slackers. The people that have dropped out of my class are the people who didn't want it bad enough. If you just like playing video games, or watching pixar movies, this isn't a school for you. You really need to love your art and what you do, and not be afraid to branch out, because you will be doing a little bit of everything here. If you want to be a modeller, don't complain if you have an animation class because everything bit of understanding you can have about the industry pipeline will be beneficial in the long run. I love Full Sail, but if I can here a few years back, I never would have made it. You really need a substantial level of maturity. You get from the school what you put into it, no more, no less.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.