PDA

View Full Version : Ubi Soft Purchases XSI

raffael3d
07-24-2003, 01:09 PM
http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=564

adam3d
07-25-2003, 02:12 AM
If you read it closely it's just for a single cinematic team. Great marketing spin though. You see these misleading announcements all the time from Soft and Alias to try and increase the effect of a small purchase.

From what I understand Ubi hired a cinematic director who was already in the XSI camp, so it wasn't a "switch", more a company saying something like "use what you'll be most productive in"...so he did.

So the Ubi Max artists (150-or so I think) aren't switching.

I know for a fact that the Canadian Discreet team has done an amazing job keeping Max and Discreet the leading software used up north, keeping strong relationships with their clients and schools, and promoting their work in tons of well designed marketing. Have you seen the latest ads in magazines and customer stories on Disreet.com?

On a daily basis there's a group of Soft guy or Alias guys knocking on the doors of large facilities like Ubi, trying every sales trick in the book to make them switch. "We'll give you xxx programmers free...". I witnessed this first hand.

Do a little more research next time, this is exactly how incorrect information spreads so wildly.

3dsmax-LA
07-25-2003, 06:57 AM
from a professional source...

Max has over 170 licenses at this UBi location; XSI less than 20. Sound like a switch to you?

XSI is only used for cinematics and it is because they hired a bunch of people who were let go from soft (which is across the street)

Ubi uses Max for everything else (including the sequel to SplinterCell- their most successful game ever). Discreet's relationship is secure as mentioned in the press release not 4 months ago: see press release on 3/31/03 http://www.discreet.com/press/
Also, look at the press releases regarding the technical partnerships with Criterion and Alien Brain.

acidboy
07-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Chill out guys! :rolleyes:

The press release explains that XSI is being used for cinematics only. If ya read it you'll realize there is no misleading at all.

Anyone would think yaz are insecure about ya software or something ;)

wmendez
07-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by 3dsmax-LA

XSI is only used for cinematics and it is because they hired a bunch of people who were let go from soft (which is across the street)

Well not really , across the street from soft there is a gas station, Tim Hortons, and some trendy restaurants. Ubisoft is in the area though but not as close as you make it seem :)

dudeguy
07-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by wmendez
Well not really , across the street from soft there is a gas station, Tim Hortons, and some trendy restaurants. LMAO, haha.

eirenicon
07-26-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by wmendez
Well not really , across the street from soft there is a [...] Tim Hortons

No need to be redundant, there's a Tim Hortons across from everything :D

matty429
07-26-2003, 04:19 AM
I was mislead....I thought UbiSoft Bought The whole Softimage operation

wmendez
07-26-2003, 06:12 PM
LOL, Tim so true!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.