PDA

View Full Version : Ubi Soft creates cinematics division

zzzrByte
07-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be one of the first games featuring work from the company's new division.

Ubi Soft has announced that it has created a cinematics division that will focus solely on producing cutscenes for upcoming Ubi Soft games. The company decided to open the division in order to create cutscenes that were on par with what moviegoers see in the theaters but without the outrageous budgets. As such, Ubi Soft will be using Softimage as its primary software toolset for creating these scenes. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be the first game to take advantage of the new division.

"The mandate of our team is to create games with the visual qualities of a movie, but without the luxury of a typical movie budget. We chose Softimage/XSI because it was the only software that could deliver the superior visual quality we needed, within the demanding time and budgetary constraints we faced," commented Ron Martin, director of cinematics at Ubi Soft. "After a few short weeks of use, we found XSI to foster a greater level of creativity and collaboration, increasing our productivity and reducing our typical project turnaround time. And as gamers will soon see, it has also enabled us to create a breathtaking visual experience."

For more information on Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, check out our previous coverage of the game.

Taken from this GameSpot article (http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/princeofpersiathesot/news_6072232.html).

adam3d
07-25-2003, 02:13 AM
If you read it closely it's just for a single cinematic team. Great marketing spin though. You see these misleading announcements all the time from Soft and Alias to try and increase the effect of a small purchase.

From what I understand Ubi hired a cinematic director who was already in the XSI camp, so it wasn't a "switch", more a company saying something like "use what you'll be most productive in"...so he did.

So the Ubi Max artists (150-or so I think) aren't switching.

I know for a fact that the Canadian Discreet team has done an amazing job keeping Max and Discreet the leading software used up north, keeping strong relationships with their clients and schools, and promoting their work in tons of well designed marketing. Have you seen the latest ads in magazines and customer stories on Disreet.com?

On a daily basis there's a group of Soft guy or Alias guys knocking on the doors of large facilities like Ubi, trying every sales trick in the book to make them switch. "We'll give you xxx programmers free...". I witnessed this first hand.

Do a little more research next time, this is exactly how incorrect information spreads so wildly.

zzzrByte
07-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Do a little more research next time, this is exactly how incorrect information spreads so wildly.
:rolleyes:

I was just passing on a piece of news I read somewhere without commenting on it.
The real value in this piece in my opinion was the fact that game companies are spending more and more time and money into creating "cinematic quality cinematics". Hence the title of this post: Ubi Soft creates cinematics division... and not Ubi Soft adopts XSI for their cinematics production.
And besides... I use Maya... Why would I flaunt the fact that a game company just adopted XSI

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.