PDA

View Full Version : Question for Gnomon students and or LA residents

MKScrivana
06-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Hey guys, I need some help. I am expecting to be attending Gnomon in the winter term(Jan). I live in New Jersey and I will be visiting the school in september to scope it out. I am sure I will get advice out there on the areas to stay or where not to stay but I wanted to ask you guys and hear your opinions. If you are a gnomon student, or was. where do you think the best place to stay is? keeping in mind I am not wealthy. I am looking to stay somewhere not too far from the school because i wont be having a car. Im looking to probably stay at an apartment and even share a place with a student if I am able to find someone. And lastly I was wondering where are the "good" areas in LA and "bad" areas if there is a clear answer. Sorry I remember my Soc. class and watching a movie on LA gangs and i dont feel like looking for a place to stay where i have to worry about my neighbor stealing my art equipment ha ha. Thanks guys!

- Mike

taxguy
06-18-2009, 03:49 AM
My daughter will be attending Gnomon this summer and taking the Maya Fast Track program. If you call up Gnomon, they have a listing of nearby housing available. You can also go to Craigs list and find a room for rent. Generally, appartments and houses rent for somewhere between $2,000-$2,500 per month and can be usually split between 2-4 folks depending on the layout. Gnomon doesn't have its own housing,which makes it somewhat expensive to live near there.

If you are more than a mile from the school, you can take a bus or will need a car. Parking is available in the Gold's Gym parking lot with a Gnomon sticker.

Have you visited Gnomon? When you first see it, you won't be impressed. It is housed in the Television building ,which has a lot of old studios. However, the seating and computer equipment is very up to par, and everyone seems dedicated. It is an amazing place.

Good luck. I am sure that you are very driven, you will have an amazing experience there and develop some spectacular skills.

MKScrivana
06-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks taxman, yeah i havent visited it yet and i heard it wasnt that big but, bigger isnt always better right? but i feel it would be one of the better ways to hone my abilities and give me an upperhand. I really hope it all works well.

taxguy
06-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, it isn't as big as many college campuses. In fact, it has no campus. However, it is spread out among a number of studios.It does seem to be an amazing place though.

I met two animators who have had long standing careers. When I asked about schooling, both independently recommended Gnomon and/or Animation Mentor.

In fact, there is one other great benefit to attending Gnomon that I bet you didn't know about. As a student, you can borrow any of their video tutorials for free. They have a huge library of these that are available to Gnomon students.

With all that said, I probably would have advised you to get a BFA or some college degree before you went there. Why?

Gnomon is a great place from what I can tell;however, it is a trade oriented school. If , for some reason, you don't succeed at geting a job with studios, you have limited your options going there. For example, you also won't be able to teach without a basic BFA either. It will also be difficult to switch careers too. I have a friend who didn't make it in fine art and went to law school. As you can see, a college degree opens up many options that you won't have. You are preparing yourself for a narrow speciality and hopefully it will work out for you.

In addition, Gnomon won't hone the skills of oral communication and writing skills. Good communication skills are very important for all jobs. It can make the difference between being an animator all your life or becoming an art director. Communication skills might seem to be an intangible benefit to you,but they are important in life. A college degree with help you hone those skills if you go to a good program.

To me, Gnomon is a great place for those that are either already in the industry working or have a college degree already. Just my two cents. I am sure that others might disagree with me about this.

j0j0y
06-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm actually moving to LA tomorrow ;D I'll be attending Gnomon starting the end of this month... in the Entertainment Design program.

I got a place on the edge of Koreatown, about 3 miles south of Gnomon. It's a relatively new one-bedroom and $1200/mo. I probably could've found something cheaper but my parents are helping me out a lot (plus they wanted me in that complex because my sister lives there <3).

I would say that you really should visit before deciding where to live around there. There are a lot of semi-nice places next to places that look like they're falling apart. Some people I talked to while there told me that for the most part, it gets worse the further south you go... and to avoid Chinatown. But then again, this is just what I heard. I don't live there YET!

As a side note: I think it's awesome how small Gnomon is! It took my family forever to find because you sorta have to look into this gate entrance and catch the big "G" sign. And yeah, the labs are impressive and totally not what you'd expect from the outside :D

htdog
06-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey MKScrivana and jojoy. I am currently looking into attending Gnomon in the Fall. I am heading down to LA next weekend for the Gnomon workshop! I am very excited to check out the facility and the events. I am going to be asking a lot of questions about the school and places to live. Feel free to contact me through pm. I would be more than willing to help out since I am in the same boat. Woo!! Gnomon here we come!!!

MKScrivana
06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
haha yeah gooodd stuff, htdog you know where youll be staying yet

htdog
06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I will be staying in Hollywood for the weekend, but I am not sure where I will live while I go to school there.

SanjayChand
06-19-2009, 11:40 PM
When I attended Gnomon for the first year, I lived with two other students (3 of us total) in a 2 bedroom that was off of Fountain and Fuller. It was pretty expensive but also quite nice.

The last year I was there I lived off of Yucca st and Hollywood Blvd, which is walkable to Gnomon (about a mile away). You can call Gnomon and they should be able to give you the email addresses of other students who want to share an apartment.

Stankluv
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
You might save a little bit and live in a slightly nicer area if you take the metro to North Hollywood or Studio City. Gnomon is in a not so great area and it gets pricy fast as soon as it starts to get nicer.

stinkles
07-04-2009, 04:38 AM
apartments are actually getting abit cheaper with the recession. I have a nice one bedroom in santa monoca, near the beach for 1500, 2 people could easily live here. and it would have gone for 2000 a couple years ago. If you go to gnomon and transportation is a probalem, then try to find a place off wilshire blvd as the big blue bus runs up and down and you can get a anual pass, it runds right pas the school. Anthing north of hollywood towards the vally will get cheaper. The further east you go, the lower the rent.

I will be in the fast track this summer too, just sold my car to pay tuition. If you are not too proud to ride the bus, you can get around the LA area just fine with either a bike, or bus pass. Remeber, it hardly ever rains here so riding a bike may be a healthy alternative.

rcal
07-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Live as close as possible to the school. I lived at McCadden and Fountain which is .8 mi away from the school -w/ a coffee shop on the way <- crucial! :P

I'd advise staying West of Vine. You'll do yourself a huge favor by not relying on public transportation there since it SUCKS!

I had a bike which was perfect for my two years in Hollywood. Especially since most of my time was spent at Gnomon in a dark lab or at home in a bed.

Like Sanjay said, get emails from Gnomon of other students looking for roommates and take your chances w/ a complete stranger. I did and it worked out great, he was a neat freak so I never had a dirty bathroom :)

Good luck and have fun!

Stankluv
07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I think the metro is awesome...a nice little walk is a great treat for any cg artist. Otherwise you might learn about squash and stretch the hard way.

TGNSD
08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
mike, gnomon is looking better and better every day for myself also, have you visited the school yet? How recently have you graduated highschool? I'm an 08 grad and after transferring first year I was planning on going to SVA this fall coming up but the price tag is without a doubt going to shadow me for well.... ever. If I do go to gnomon I'm also going to need a roomie, idk, FB me or something.... http://www.facebook.com/brizzo7

MKScrivana
08-04-2009, 06:55 AM
hey tom PM me or facebook or whatever. lemme know whats up

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2009, 06:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.