PDA

View Full Version : Renderman for Maya-- Multi-channel EXR Problem

rBrady
06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I have setup all of my AOVs in the new RfM 3.0. Just like all the other versions I get individual files for each AOV. The channels are correctly tagged in the EXR, just like the old versions. I just need to know how to set it to render into a single file.

Anyone had any luck?

Oh, and 64bit RfM... so... Awesome!!

2stepdmb
06-17-2009, 11:50 PM
It should work if you create a custom output. If you then right click in the Output Channels text field, it'll show you all of the available channels. Just select the channels you want to be saved in the EXR file.

Ian

rBrady
06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
All I get is a channels dropdown with combinations of rgbaz. I am not seeing an "output channels" text field. If I right click on my "output" text field nothing happens. If I left click on the triangle to the right of the output field I get a dropdown that allows me to add and modify my AOVs. If I have 8 AOVs set to exr I get 8 files instead of 1 file with 8x3 channels.

Just to make sure we are on the same page. I am doing all this under Render Settings>Renderman(dropdown)>Passes(tab)>Output(tab)
I am also using the eval. The public RfM forums aren't all that great so I am posting here.

Thanks for reading! Any other thoughts?

2stepdmb
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Does this work?

1. In the render settings, go to the Passes tab.
2. You should see Final Defaults as the Pass and rgba as Output.
3. Click on the pointing downward black triangle next to the Output text field. This should bring up a menu that says Create Output.
4. In the Create Output sub-menu, there should be a list of known channels. The very top option should be Custom...
5. Click on Custom and that should bring up a new window with a Output Channels text field. Right click in the text field and add the channels that you want to have put into the EXR file. Each time you add a channel, it should add it to the text field, with each channel separated by a comma.

Ian

rBrady
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
That worked great. I wish that was outlined in the docs. Its strange that they advertise that as a big new feature and then give no hints on how to do it. In fusion the channels appear in the order BGR. Do they appear that way in your compositor? Just a point of curiosity. Its really not that big of a deal.

Thanks again for your help.

2stepdmb
06-20-2009, 12:09 AM
There's supposed to be a tutorial on secondary outputs in the docs that's supposed explain how to set this up. Were you not able to find it?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Fusion. Some users have reported the same issue, and I believe it has something to do with the way we name the channels and what Fusion expects the names to be.

Ian

cheebamonkey
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
awesome find! Even better considering DNASoft doesn't think it's worthwhile to have a multi-channel EXR output, at least in their last version of 3Delight. I wonder if they got smart in the newest version?

Mauritius
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
awesome find! Even better considering DNASoft doesn't think it's worthwhile to have a multi-channel EXR output, at least in their last version of 3Delight. I wonder if they got smart in the newest version?
We first made extensive use of multi-channel EXRs on "Charlotte's Web" at RSP in 2005/2006. Four years ago. We only used 3Delight to create these.

Magic? A feature DNA removed in the meantime? Neither. Still works perfectly, I just tried it.

It is aways advisable to get the facts straight before opening one's mouth. ;)

.mm

lazzhar
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
We first made extensive use of multi-channel EXRs on "Charlotte's Web" at RSP in 2005/2006. Four years ago. We only used 3Delight to create these.

Magic? A feature DNA removed in the meantime? Neither. Still works perfectly, I just tried it.

It is aways advisable to get the facts straight before opening one's mouth. ;)

.mm

I'm sure he was referring to the fact that the current version 3delight for maya doesn't do that out of the box.

Elessar
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Your explanations are very useful but at the moment I cannot get the renders to work properly. I tried putting 3 AOV's and the resulting EXR is completely black with no channels.
If I select tiff as the output image, I just get a black tiff with a lot of alphas (some of them contain data, others don't).
Does anyone know what my problem can be?
Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.