PDA

View Full Version : Houdini animation Reel

DavidHoang83
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm just about finished an internship at http://www.sidefx.com/, I learned Maya in school but I've been learning to animate with Houdini. I have some other animation stuff but I don't have access to them right now being in Toronto.

I threw together some of the stuff I've animated in the last 3-4 months here at SideFX and the stuff I've been doing at home, I thought I'd throw it up here and get some more critics and see what you guys think before I start applying for jobs.

http://davidhoang.wordpress.com/

My artwork can be seen on there too. I wasn't sure if I should have put life model drawings in or not.

Thanks

(Animation done by me, cloth simulation and knight were done by other interns)

men
06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Great!
the animation of the first two shots in particular is VERY well done!
did you animate everything in houdini?
how the characters are rigged? with the tools of houdini or custom tools?
how is the feedback/interactivity inside houdini for these character animations? I found that sometimes is a bit slow in refresh even with simple objects, opposite to max or maya.
do you like animate characters in houdini? can you tell about the pros and cons?
thank you!

Abazaba
06-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Nice work. The first two anims are of a much higher quality than the rest. They lack weight and the lipsync is too floaty. you really need to hold a pose to communicate to the viewer.

If I were you, Id take one of them, and give it the treatment you gave the first two. Then make a reel with three solid anims. Quality over quantity.

Best of luck.

Solbester
06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Great work! you cycles look awesome... you have very fluent animation.. but you need more acting in your animation reel... and lets see more of the characters interacting with one another.. great job!

P.S the free runner animation should run and move faster...

etmed
06-22-2009, 01:38 AM
hi!
nice dynamic animation... good flow and pose... ;)

DavidHoang83
06-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Great!
the animation of the first two shots in particular is VERY well done!
did you animate everything in houdini?

Yea everything was done in Houdini

how the characters are rigged? with the tools of houdini or custom tools?

The Toon character is a shelf rig that comes with Houdini. The knight was modeled by an intern and rigged with the auto rig by another intern. The animation in my demoreel of the knight is using the animation rig and proxy geometry, that's why if you look closely there are holes in the armor. I'm able to continue animating as the other intern continues to work on the rig.

how is the feedback/interactivity inside houdini for these character animations? I found that sometimes is a bit slow in refresh even with simple objects, opposite to max or maya.

The feedback to me seemed real time as long as I kept the toon character on low-res setting, and then just switched it to high res after to render.

The knight character is actually a very heavy model without a low res version but using the animation rig without having to worry about computing deformers, it was even faster then the toon rig. I think houdini slows down a bit when it has to compute the deformers.

I've never used Max, but Maya was basically the same for me when I was animating with the Moom rig. I'd have to turn on low res while animating then switch to high res for rendering, and I playblast/flipbook to see the animations in 24FPS.

do you like animate characters in houdini? can you tell about the pros and cons?
thank you!

At first it was sort of frustrating using Houdini because I wasn't use to the interface or the hotkeys (damn you spacebar!!), but after a few months animating with it I've gotten really use to it and I'm actually afraid of the process of switching packages now but I figure it's good to learn multiple packages as every studio is different.

In general I think all 3D packages are the same for animation, they all have different things they can do and people mainly think of Houdini for VFX, but for animation, it's all just keys and graph editors with different interfaces.

Abazaba- The knight animations were done just recently, hopefully I'll have time to finish a few more.

Solbester- I was more focused on trying to work out body mechanics at first and just get use to polishing more of the basic animation principles, the next step for me I think will be trying to do some more lip syncs.

DavidHoang83
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I had some time to fix up the back flip animation to fix the floaty landing. I'll try to slowly go over some of the animations or just redo them in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63iuAHURLA&feature=channel_page

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.