PDA

View Full Version : Need Feedback: New Online Portfolio App

Psyhke
07-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Hey all,

I've completed version 1 of a simple web app that lets you put your images/portfolio online. I was hoping some of you fellow LW'ers could take a look at it and critique it's performance and usefulness. I want to discover any glaring problems, bugs, shortcomings, etc. before advertising it too much.

Please check it out here:

Link: Panaserve Photobook (http://www.panaserve.com/applications.cfm)

http://www.panaserve.com/photobook/images/pb_thumb.gif

Click 'Try photobook now', and also 'image management' once you're there to upload some pictures if you'd like.

Couple of Q's: 1)We plan to make it skinnable so that HTML challenged people can have a web gallery that fits the style of their work-- does that seem like it would be worth the programming effort in your opinion? 2) From a marketing POV, does the name Photobook have any negative implications to you if you plan on using it for illustrations or 3D pix for example, or would it simply not matter since it wouldn't show up on the site at all?

Any and all feedback sincerely appreciated! :wavey:

Psyhke
07-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Anyone happen to give this a test drive yet? Don't be shy, now. :D

Free :beer: smiley to anyone that finds a bug.

Shade01
07-25-2003, 07:02 AM
I tried it, I didn't go in depth in it but I like it. It's simple and it looks nice. Having it skinnable should be a must, because you need to add value to the fact that you are charging for it. It doesn't do enough to attract someone to be hosted because:

1. Your hosting packages are *very* expensive for what you get

2. Plenty of free image uploaders out there that all at least do basic stuff, which is what Photobook does right now.

3. Plenty of free or cheaper websites that offer similar uploaders

So to answer your question- From an artists point of view, it's nice looking, easy and convenient. From a consumer point of view it needs to do more to make me think about actually wanting to pay for it or be hosted to get it free. Being skinnable is a good first step. Other things I'd consider would be having different ways to display the pictures, being able to adjust thumbnail izes or add mouseover captions, having something that highlights a picture of the month or similar.

Monty
07-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Those on a Mac just use iPhoto and dotMac.

Thast said, Ill test this app a bit later today. :)

Psyhke
07-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you think making it skinnable is a useful idea, since I really want to do that. This started out because when my portfolio is ready I want a very easy way to update it, and have it look very professional. Once it got this point, I figured I'd throw it out there and it may prove very useful to others too.

* Going to work on making it skinnable *

:cool:

DrStrik9
07-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Simple, clean, easy to use. Without reading all the fine print, is there a way to get even BIGGER views of the imagery?

Good work.
Michael

Psyhke
07-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Currently it's set to 640x480. However making the thumbnail size and image size user selectable is among the first things I will add next. That and making it skinnable.

PS - you can click the 'download' button which gives a visitor access to download the full sized original, whatever size that may happen to be.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.