PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve this look?

Dangertaz
06-16-2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.dmmultimedia.com/BMW_E92_M3_01.htm

On another page he mentions using Mental Ray Production shaders...
Has anyone successfully put together a shader network that will composite a CG object onto a background plate but uses final gather information from the physical sun and sky (if that's even how he did it)?

I can use Rayswitch advanced with a Lookup_spherical and Physical Sun+Sky plugged in to get a object to reflect a background texture but be lit by the physical sun but there are problems: The look_up spherical only displays a cropped portion of an image and matteshadow gets freaked out (not to mention photo_lens wreaking havoc) so compositing is out.

I'm guessing there is a way with Rayswitch Advanced and mip_matteshadow but I haven't gotten the right look yet.

Thanks in advance!

dave-3d
06-18-2009, 05:42 AM
I used the production shaders to composite the model into an environment and handle the matte shadow plane.

I didn't use physical sun with the production shaders - when you use the large accurate physical sun values you also need to boost shadow values too, this can get tricky.

I used a simple mr Area Spot light and unitless settings for the exposure.

Next part of my tutorial will be online when I grab some time. ;) It will explain it all.

The car has a simple mr car paint shader, slightly tweaked.

Dave

Dangertaz
06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Keep up the amazing work!

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.