PDA

View Full Version : MegaBoxx v1

kretin
07-24-2003, 03:30 AM
Just thought I'd give you a little preview of something Proton will be showing at Siggraph...

A few weeks ago William asked me if I could make him a transformer to show in OpenGL. I thought, yeah cool, making a transformer, one of the existing designs, would be pretty easy, and fun to do.

Well, when it came time for him to tell me which transformer he wanted... he asked if I could design one that transforms into a Boxx computer. Not so easy any more, but still a fun challenge, and William knows I can't turn down a challenge :p

So this is the first version of the MegaBoxx. Doing it for realtime OpenGL worked really well, because the intial design phase, blocking all the bits in so I know they fit and work together is the perfect version to use for OpenGL. Now I'm working on the final version, high-res and sexy looking... Look out for that one later in the year...

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/gallery/3Ddig/Boxx/MegaBoxxPreview.jpg

Download DivX AVI (http://www.zerogravity.com.au/gallery/3Ddig/Boxx/ZGE-MegaBoxx_OpenGL.avi)

I believe the files, as well as being shown at Siggraph will be included in the new LW content, so you'll be able to pick it apart soon :)

Qslugs
07-24-2003, 03:41 AM
Fantastic.

Not much else to say than that.

Shade01
07-24-2003, 03:51 AM
haha, that's great! I love it :thumbsup:

Monty
07-24-2003, 03:55 AM
Where's the keyboard and mouse? He he... great work! :applause:

Mechis
07-24-2003, 04:03 AM
Dang. I wish my computer turned into a robot like that! cool!!!!

T4D
07-24-2003, 05:39 AM
great stuff:beer:
a lazer mouse is all it needs :p

kretin
07-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Thanks guys :)

The final high-res version/animation will show the rest of the computer bits, mouse keyboard etc... The high-res version won't be included in the LW content though, just the current low-res one.

Facial Deluxe
07-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Excellent, can't wait to see it moving :)

Ayreon
07-24-2003, 08:37 AM
It's great! Really cool design and animation!:thumbsup:

Ayreon

Fasty
07-24-2003, 08:54 AM
That is brilliant, I love it how it transforms just like the toys used to. Well researched! ;)

peterpro
07-24-2003, 10:52 AM
very nice animation.

Needs some more secondary animations, and some more attention to weight i think.

Gotta make it grow about 500% too to be a a true transformer hehe..

seriously.. really good character animation, and ingenuity.. clever work fitting all that inside a boxx =)

just curious but how long did that take to do?
and
well
how did you go about making this?

I mean i'd probably make the boxx computer first, and then build pieces and sclice it up.
curious to what was your progression.

a+ work !!

pete

peterpro
07-24-2003, 10:55 AM
you could put the cpu on the top of the head =)

or part of the one of the doors with the main board. =)

or

you could have it's computer guts spill out and it trys to scoop them back into itself.

anieves
07-24-2003, 03:03 PM
cool!
planning a model like this that can transform like that with no parts crossing each other is not an easy task.:cool:

pixelranger
07-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Excellent work as allways, kretin!

But the avi is rendered, right? It's not showing how it looks in Opengl, I suppose (shadows).. Or have I overlooked something that would make me very happy and excited...

kretin
07-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Facial Deluxe, did you see the link to the anim?

Peterpro, yeah I was running out of time, so the animation is pretty quick and nasty.

It took about a week to design and create the model, a day to rig, and a couple of days to animate.

First I created the Boxx.
Then did a sketch of the robot, working out roughly what bits went where.
Then set about creating the innards and cutting up the Boxx.
I used a morph for the transformed position so I could test what it looked like open while I created it closed.
I created each major section in it's own layer, front panel, left upper leg+Pelvis, left lower leg+foot, left arm, right upperleg+Pelvis, etc. This made weighting the bits easier, as well as allowing me to just have the right or left side visible so I could see inside the case more easily.
Then created weights and skelegons, and copied it all into a single layer for animation.

Yeah Pixelranger, it is rendered :p I turned off raytraced shadows, but forgot there was a shadowmapped light, oops :) But it's very close to what you see in OpenGL. At 5000 polys (just over 10,000 tri's) it runs at 25-30 fps on my machine, but limited to 15 fps which it was animated for.

Facial Deluxe
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Man that kills asssssssss :drool:
Love the way it transforms !
About the animation, I just would have made him more "cartoony touchy" when he's looking for the start button. A little more speed and unprecise
A little panicky , like :
-"Where's my start button ? (touch touch) Where's my start button ? ( touch touch) Uuuh Gotcha ! (press)"

But that is personnal :)

Excellent work, me loves :)

oxygen_77
07-25-2003, 05:32 PM
The still image doesn't do that justice!!! very nice job! I didn't expect much from it just looking at the still image, but the animation shows the true complexity of the base model. Great job!

kretin
07-26-2003, 01:13 AM
Thanks guys :)

Facial Deluxe, I was trying more for a kind of first time transformation, like he was a little unsure of what's going on, like "Ooh, I've got an arm.... what do I do now?...oh here's a button let's see what that does". I like your idea though... I laughed when I visualised it :) Perhaps I can incorporate that into a future anim...

Oxygen_77, Thanks...you're right, most of my work tends to look best when animated... that's the main reason why I didn't submit anything for the CGTalk book :p But hopefully the high-res version will look real sexy even in stills...

Facial Deluxe
07-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by kretin
Oxygen_77, Thanks...you're right, most of my work tends to look best when animated... that's the main reason why I didn't submit anything for the CGTalk book :p But hopefully the high-res version will look real sexy even in stills...

A good trick to emphasis models that are not so good, is to animate them behind the camera....

kretin
07-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Hehe, think you're funny don't ya :p

Facial Deluxe
07-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Hey, I try hard:blush:

Triple G
07-26-2003, 03:20 AM
This is really cool, Kretin. I was a total Transformers junkie when I was a kid growing up, so stuff like this still really appeals to me. Thanks for sharing it! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.