PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick Questions on mip_matteshadow

Dangertaz
06-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm working through the demo at the very end of the Mental Ray Production Document; it works but there's something missing:

1) If my background plate is an outdoor shot, should I use the physical sun? If so, what connections need to be made so it's working in conjunction with the mirrorball, cameramap etc..

2) How can my cast shadows match the shadows that are present in the photo? I can tweak the intensity of the light casting the shadow but the color is off. In an outdoor show my geometry has a black shadow will the shadows in the photo have a bluish cast (from the sky). I tweak the shadow color on the light and within mip_matteshadow but it turns the shadow a bizzare color instead.

Also...should I be using mip_matteshadow or mip_matteshadow_mtl for this type of work? matteshadow seems to be ok but my geometry cast shadows stick out like a sore thumb...

Thanks very much in advance!!

Dangertaz
06-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Tweaking the shadow color on the matteshadow paid off. I kept the value low and the saturation low-ish and it gives a reasonable proximity of an outdoor shadow- slightly bluish. Still trying to get env_blur to work in there somehow....

cbamber85
06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure mip_matteshadow_mtl is just a phenomemomomom giving photonic support to mip_matteshadow. It's mainly centred around use with HDRI's, which is why matching lighting issues isn't normally an issue.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.