PDA

View Full Version : Object: Photoreal Mech Eye

distortedrealty
07-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Heres what ive been working on the past few weeks...im planning on doing a photoreal render and a very short animation w/ it... the modeling is about 90% complete i might add some more accesories...im open to ideas...the textruing is what im workin on now...each piece of the model is unwrapped and textured one by one...the largest map im using is about 3000 x 1600...
im not looking for anything in particular to be critiqued but im looking to get some help with texturing...not the process...but color wise...mainly what im caught on is what to texture the base w/...... soo..enjoy

Software: 3dsmax 5
Renderer: Brazil 1.0

Here's what i have so far
http://shantergenian.com/CG/texture15-copy.jpg

Heres the wireframe
http://shantergenian.com/CG/wire.jpg

Here's the texturing process
http://shantergenian.com/CG/index1.htm

d8ed
07-24-2003, 07:13 AM
well first of all.. what the hell is it? i saw your texturing process and you have it hanging on some kind of lamp looking base.

and currently it looks too even everywere and procedural rather than hand painted.

and i really don't like the yellow/blue/purple/pink rings around the opening.

accessories might be a good idea as it's very boring at the moment.

and if it's a mech eye it's understood that it'd be made out of metal. only thing that looks metallic so far is that ring around the center with the paint flaking off.

i could see this thing being brushed aluminium or some other kind of metal.. the whole look you're going for doesnt quite match the fact that it sits on a desk or coffee table. your current look would work if it fell into an ocean and was retrieved 75 years later with barnacles on it.

sorry to be so harsh.. i just try to be honest. good luck with it.

distortedrealty
07-24-2003, 04:26 PM
To be honest with you d8ted i really dont know what it is either...but its just supposed to be a mechanical eye..i really dont know how to explain it...hm.......well ill tell u it wont have a real life purpose like other mech stuff...its basically a practice for me...im trying to learn more about texturing and all..

those colored rings around the end are untextured areas, they wont stay that way...

i thought that maybe i could not have everything exactly metal, but have some layers of paint..but ill try out some more metal around the area...

oh..and for the base...i reall didnt know what to do...i didnt want to create andything extremeley comlicated cause my emphasis wasnt on the whole model but rather on the eye...but if you have any suggestions or ideas as to how else i could model a base or a holding device, by all means tell away...

oh and dont worry about being harsh, its cool.:)

d8ed
07-24-2003, 08:21 PM
well.. to make it cooler.. you can focus on trying to animate the iris within the eye and getting the kind of animation you see in lots of movies.. or you can hang it from the ceiling as a surveillance camera.. or attach it to some kind of articulating arm. the more things you get to animate the cooler it'll be i think. maybe model some kind of body for it where it's a flying security camera or something. or put it on a unicycle and make it look funny.

as far as trying to make it painted.. try to figure out it's origin somehow.. and start with a cleanly painted looking mech eye. all surfaced with no textures. then start to add scratches and stuff like that. don't get too carried away or you'll end up with something that's too even and "blah"

when i think of the kind of thing you're trying to do.. i think American Express commercials.. shiny brushed aluminium with blue glows and lights.

check these out.. they might give you some ideas.

http://www.americanexpress.digisle.tv/spot4/

davidSingha
07-26-2003, 05:23 PM
The fluorescence color scheme (orange/yellow) doesn't cut it for me. The contrast is too great. Plus the aging contrast doesn't help either. The center ring looks like chrome plated on platic.

But don't give up. You're not very far from having a good product if you can get the texturing done correctly.

I do agree w/ d8ed about it's origin.

cheers:cool:

qu2k
07-27-2003, 01:36 AM
i dont think an object this small would have such small paint chipping. to me, the small chips make it look like it is very big.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.