PDA

View Full Version : SMC 10: Jet Pack Pilot

Digitool
06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
SMC 10: Jet Pack Pilot;

In this challenge, you have 115 minutes to model a Jet Pack Pilot. More specifically, this pilot uses his Jet Pack for racing. Whether you want it to be an action shot or a simple standing pose is up to you, choose one you feel you can accomplish the most while modeling within the time-frame. Time may not allow for high-res beauty models, so try to be as detailed as you can as you model along. If you struggle with something you should not spend a great deal of time on it, you can always feel free to ask for help after posting. Comments and Critiques are strongly suggested.

Rules:
1.) 115 minute time-frame. Please do not go over the time-limit and say you did it in less. This is not for showing off, this is for practice, and seeking help on ways to streamline your modeling process.

2.) Post only 3 images, wireframe (or a wireframe on shaded), program default shader from perspective view (not a render, transparency adjustments allowed), and 1 beauty shot if you wish to do so.

3.) Please try to help others or seek help from others or both. This is to learn, so it won't help to just toss up a picture and not say anything else the rest of the challenge. Also, you can feel free to add a little background information to your post, obviously not taking up the 115 minutes as that is strictly for modeling.

Hope everyone has fun and is somewhat challenged, either by the model itself for trying to get it done within the time-frame. Reference images are strongly suggested, but not a must if you don't think you need them.

dreadfear
06-16-2009, 01:53 AM
This will be fun, im terrible at characters.

I mite go do some nurbs tutorials, they mite be easier to model characters with

~Reserved

Digitool
06-16-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm horrible at characters as well. NURBS is a good method, then patching together, but I prefer a more... hybrid style between the two ultimately ending in a polygon model at the end.

SKeller
06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
This will be a fun challenge. I'm also terrible at characters, so this will be worth the trouble! Good luck to everyone.

dreadfear
06-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Think this one is asking a bit much . . .

Im still going to try, but its disheartening to see no replies.

paulcapon
06-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Nah, people just needed time to think. It's certainly not easy, that's for sure. I'll try to get something up this weekend.

-JohNny45

paulcapon
06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Well...I tried. Sometimes a disaster is a useful learning experience. I spent way too much time trying out different things on the dude driving. I ended up dumping most of the work I did, because it looked awful and I needed to get to work on the jet pack. Needless to say this is nothing like the concept I drew up. He was gonna be like an alien version of the Rocketeer, but hey, I tried :) and that's what it's all about. Hopefully we see some more entries soon. Take it easy gang and good luck.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/JohNnyTank/jet_pack_light.jpg
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/JohNnyTank/jet_pack_shaded.jpg
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/JohNnyTank/jet_pack_wire.jpg

SKeller
06-20-2009, 08:46 PM
i likeded your concept, JohNny45. I think you should finish your model, it can turn into a nice cartoon character!
I wish i could participate on this one, but now that i have some free time, i'm away from my computer...:banghead:

paulcapon
06-20-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks sKeller. Too bad you can't participate this week, but theres always next week. Saw your project in your porfolio. Looks great! Really nice work. Looks like a perfect little diorama.

-JohNny45

SKeller
06-21-2009, 05:31 AM
thanks JohNny45! I'm glad that at the end of next week my college's term will finish and i will have one month of free time!

Digitool
06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey kids, for fathers day we went camping with my dad in the mountains so I've been gone a few days. Was good to see your model up there johnny, looks good, I agree, finish that badboy.

Immortal765
06-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I'll have my model up tomorrow. BTW, do you think it would be necessary for me to make a preparation thread for SMC 11 or just make the SMC 11 thread?

Digitool
06-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Just go ahead and make the thread. We'll do a prep thread a few days before SMC 12. So don't worry about anything and go ahead and post up your competition thread.

Just try to be fair on the minutes involved but don't put up too many minutes.

Immortal765
06-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Here's my 115 minute attempt :P

paulcapon
06-23-2009, 01:08 AM
it's good Immortal. I especially like where you were going with the jetpack. It's tough as heck to get a creature model done in that time frame. Good work. Looking forward to your challenge this week.

-JohNny45

Digitool
06-23-2009, 05:50 AM
I suppose that was a little bit steep of a time-frame.

Because of work and the weekend vaca with the family, I haven't even started on my model yet. I work until mid-week and probably won't have the time to bang out a model for this. Which is quite embarassing being that it's my own challenge haha.

I do appreciate the participation though. Even if I'm ultimately not able to join in. I didn't expect to work this much, however, the paycheck will be much better than usual.

Immortal765
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, not exactly the best weekend or week to have a modeling challenge I suppose :\

Thanks, Johnny45, for the comments. My inspiration was the jet packs made by Jet Pack International. I was definitely using references that I sketched up. I'm actually very satisfied with it. The general form of the model is there and lacking all the fine details and refinement that would take couple hours to complete. I got where I wanted.

I actually was surprised by yours, Johnny. Not in a bad way, because obviously we had dissimilar styles and ideas. Surprised in the "oh man, I could've done something like that," way.

How did you manage to get the fan blades to be equidistant from each other?

paulcapon
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't know what you're using to model, but I'm sure it's available in all packages. In 3d Max when you shift drag something...either rotate, scale, or translate you have the option to create a copy, and you can choose how many copies you want to make. So, it was really easy, I just shift-rotated the blade to create a copy as far away from the first as looked good, entered how many I wanted to create...and tada :). Real simple, but effective. Yeah, it's great to come out with something totally different...gives you insight into how other people are thinking. Nice work. Can't wait to see your roller coaster.

-JohNny45

Digitool
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
In maya (i haven't tried shift + drag/ rotate) you can "duplicate special" (click option box) and have it duplicated 360 in whichever axis and tell it how many copies you want.

SKeller
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
In maya (i haven't tried shift + drag/ rotate) you can "duplicate special" (click option box) and have it duplicated 360 in whichever axis and tell it how many copies you want.

You also have to put the pivot point in the right location, otherwise the duplicated objects will rotate around its center or some other random location.

Digitool
06-24-2009, 02:20 AM
right, thanks for adding that. and if you don't know how to do that, you hit the insert key and then move it to where you want your pivot point to be then hit insert again (or q,w,e,r)

Immortal765
06-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks, guys. I actually knew about all that stuff, just didn't think of using duplicate special and the pivot point in that manner.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2009, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.