PDA

View Full Version : posibility of doing phd in 3d animation

rashi
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
hi guys i hope this thread want be banned

im a sri lankan in sri lanka there's no art schools to do 3d animation(degree)

but i have a great passion and dedication for 3d animation

im currently studying to get to the computer engineering faculty in my university

so i would like to know is there any possibility that i can do my higher studies(masters/phd)i 3d animation?

thankyou

Couture
06-15-2009, 02:07 PM
There are Masters degrees, but from what I gathered are only useful to have to be able to teach at accredited institutions. As far as a PHD, why would you want one in 3D animation? I don't believe such a thing exists anyhow.

Kev3D
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm sure I've seen a few animations which were a major part of a thesis. You have to be a bit creative, it can't be just a 3D animation (how is that research?) but maybe it could be related to virtual reality, new dynamic solvers, faster rendering algorithms, etc.

rashi
06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
thanks guys any way i hate to be a engineer, coz my dad want me to be engineer,i just want to be a 3d artist but im not able to do my career in 3d in sri lanka coz there's not much industry here

so only option is to get abroad
and this cannot be done because my family dont have that kind f money

so the only possible way for me is to work hard and get to computer engineering and do masters or higher studies and get in to the industry

as long as i can do 3d stuff im happy to do what ever research and get into the industry:)

Paul McLaughlin
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I've heard of someone getting a PhD in animation, so I think it's possible.

leigh
06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I've heard of someone getting a PhD in animation, so I think it's possible.

But the real question is: why? I mean, it's not like it's going to increase your employability. All it's going to do is take up more of your time and more of your money when you could be working instead. Because, at the end of the day, it's your experience of working in the industry that really counts, and not your degrees or other qualifications. That's not to say that I think qualifications are worthless, but if you're struggling to find the money to fund degrees, then I don't understand why you'd want to go all the way to do a PhD when it's really not going to help you find a job.

SheepFactory
06-15-2009, 09:19 PM
A PHD in animation sounds like some school trying to suck as much money as they can out of naive students. Leigh is absolutely right, I would save your money.

Meloncov
06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Getting a phd in animation is silly for reasons given above. However, getting a PhD in computer science, with a focus on graphics, seems reasonable. Many important developments in computer graphics have certainly come from the academic sphere.

Paul McLaughlin
06-16-2009, 12:20 AM
But the real question is: why? I mean, it's not like it's going to increase your employability. All it's going to do is take up more of your time and more of your money when you could be working instead. Because, at the end of the day, it's your experience of working in the industry that really counts, and not your degrees or other qualifications. That's not to say that I think qualifications are worthless, but if you're struggling to find the money to fund degrees, then I don't understand why you'd want to go all the way to do a PhD when it's really not going to help you find a job.

You are talking to someone who dropped out of college 5 credit hours away from a degree.

I did it on principle.

In regards to the animation PhD question, I was just passing along information. Not offering advice.

RobertoOrtiz
06-16-2009, 12:24 AM
If you want an advanced program
check out Carnegie Mellon university.
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
They do have a very advanced program, and their international studies programs are
very extensive.
-R

http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/they

Paul McLaughlin
06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, but that college is full of nerds.

Do you want poindexter on your beer pong team... NO.

Per-Anders
06-16-2009, 12:36 AM
You are talking to someone who dropped out of college 5 credit hours away from a degree.

I did it on principle.

In regards to the animation PhD question, I was just passing along information. Not offering advice.
Errmm... what principle exactly? Did it work?

(Who are you being defensive to by the way, the post you responded to is clearly to the OP, not you or anyone else in the thread, unless you are the OP on another account that is).

Novakog
06-16-2009, 01:45 AM
If you want an advanced program
check out Carnegie Mellon university.
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
They do have a very advanced program, and their international studies programs are
very extensive.
-R

http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/they

Those programs aren't in 3D animation though, they're just computer graphics from a computer science/programming perspective. If he were doing that, anywhere with top notch CS programs is going to be good - Stanford, UC Berkeley, Cornell, MIT, UC San Diego, and yeah Carnegie Mellon.

As others said, a PhD in 3D animation is not likely to be very useful, if it does even exist anywhere. PhD's are generally useful if you want to pursue academia and research; if you want to be a hands-on 3D artist, than just spending that time working on your abilities is likely to be much more beneficial.

rashi
06-16-2009, 03:35 AM
hmmm so it seems that my decision of going for a master or a phd is waist of time and money,so i think i must at least try to get a freelance job

and sheepfactory i checked the courses available in the link that you have provided it seems its all about research and i think i'll be missing all the fun in the industry doing the fun stuff

i think i''l have to do more research in this question before going for a decision

any way thanks all of you guys for taking time for replying

Artbot
06-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Honestly, with the constantly shifting landscape of this industry and the tools, it's hard to imagine a phd in anything but pure r&d (as opposed to animation production, where the best school would be on the job).

On the other hand, it would be a crack-up to have a dinner party where one of your guests is choking on a chicken bone and someone says, "Is there a doctor in the house?!" and you would be able to answer "yes" to that question.

Remi
06-16-2009, 04:09 AM
On the other hand, it would be a crack-up to have a dinner party where one of your guests is choking on a chicken bone and someone says, "Is there a doctor in the house?!" and you would be able to answer "yes" to that question.

And still not know what to do:)

forsakendreams
06-16-2009, 06:22 AM
im currently studying to get to the computer engineering faculty in my university

so i would like to know is there any possibility that i can do my higher studies(masters/phd)i 3d animation?

Generally an animation degree is a Fine Art degree so the terminal degree in the field is typically an MFA. Many schools offer an MFA in animation if you so desire and can give you a good grounding in film-making following your degree in CE.

However, if you are interested in a PhD, that would be a terminal degree in something like computer science/engineering. With a specialization in graphics or graphics animation, ideally you would be writing/submitting papers for siggraph, developing new cg techniques and solutions, and probably becoming highly desirable to top studios.

It all depends on what your ultimate goal is.

MrPositive
06-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Of course, it all depends on what you want to do with your life. Do you want to be a researcher/teacher or work in industry? We just started a PhD for New Media, but it is heavily research based. You could probably slant 3D graphics with uncanny valley, virtual reality, virtual worlds, cellular, physics based CG research, or even engineering research. It sounds insane, but there are people (even a former ILM artist) salivating trying to get into this degree. Why? Because, there is possibly no 'better job' in the world than being a tenured professor (#1 overall job in Forbes...and no I'm not tenured). Phd professors teach 1-2 classes a year, get a 6 month paid sabbatical every 3 years, around a 6 figure salary, and are basically untouchable (though you have to deliver on the grant side of things). With a Phd, you basically have a job for life as universities, especially in this economic climate, are clamoring to increase their terminal degree (non MFA) percentage stats for federal funding. After saying all that, if there is any inkling of you wanting to work in the industry, then I'd have to question your sanity. A PhD is usually 3 to 4 years of intense studies, that requires extraordinary writing abilities, a creative mind at an elite level, peer reviews like you've never seen, an insane amount of money, and very little actual 3D work I would presume (mostly writing and mathematics for CG research). If you want a more arts based terminal degree, then I'd suggest the MFA actually and not a Phd. Just know exactly what you want to do, before you make any rash decisions.

Paul McLaughlin
06-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Did it work?

Only time will tell.

switchblade327
06-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Errmm... what principle exactly? Did it work?

I've got to agree. Dropping out to work halfway through school is one thing but dropping out right before the finish isn't a very desirable trait on a CV without a really awesome excuse ("Pixar needed me NOW").

As for the PhD in 3d animation, what Leigh and SheepFactory said. Someone who started with a certificate or an AA degree has a five-six year head start on you when it comes to finding work and getting real production experience. They could be making a high five/low six figure salary as a senior or a lead by the time you graduate and try to get your first job with six figures worth of debt.

Paul McLaughlin
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I've got to agree. Dropping out to work halfway through school is one thing but dropping out right before the finish isn't a very desirable trait on a CV without a really awesome excuse ("Pixar needed me NOW").

I asked for an exemption to do an independent study in place of my last requirement. They didn't give it to me, so I left.

College isn't just about the degree. There aren't many other places where you can hang with people from a variety of different areas of study. I would imagine if you are getting your PhD, MFA, etc. you have an additional chance to learn from people doing everything from architecture to fashion... and play more beer pong.

As for me... well, don't worry about me.

szewei
06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Just my two cents: you CAN get a job in the industry with a PHD.

I used to work at a University research lab focusing on CG and virtual reality research. A lot of the alumni ended up working for EA, Dreamworks, Sony etc. So they ARE in the industry... Of course most of them work on developing new tools: some of them linked to a specific production, come in the R&D department.

It is a very interesting part of CG as you deal with the latest state of the art techniques: stuff that isn't used commercially yet. So you see the development of CG and where things are going etc. But then it's not pure production...

So as a lot of people said: it all depends on what you want to do...

In any case: good luck in pursuing whatever career you choose!

gamekeeperr
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
<spam removed by admin>

rashi
06-17-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks guys
now i have at least a fair knowledge how stuff go in cg industry

and i would really like to research stuff so i dont think trying for phd is bad idea, but i think i will have to get good results in university and get a scholarship(i hope if it is possible)and go abroad and do higher studies

but i would also like to do 3d modeling so i have to improve my skills to get a good job

and i cannot give up uni and go for fulltime freelance job ,i just dnt knw wat to do hard to make a clear decision

shehanRN
06-22-2009, 08:32 PM
hi rashiga

i'm a sri lankan who works in japan as a freelance artist. Me too faced the same problem when i was in sri lanka. When it comes to professional CG training u really don't get much of a choice in sri lanka. I also have never heard of 3D PHD but u can always go for a BFA, MFA. here's link for one of them.

http://www.academyart.edu/animation-school/index.html

But small piece of advice when it comes to getting a job, more than a degree a strong focus show reel that shows ur unique talent would really work most of the time.

keep in touch
Best regards

rashi
06-23-2009, 03:44 AM
hi shehan its really nice to meet you specially a fellow sri lankan working as a freelancer in abroad yea now i have realized that its only about the talent when it comes to cg but even learning in a top uni in cg is way too expensive for me so the only option to me is to make use of the free education given in sl

yosemited
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, but that college is full of nerds.

Do you want poindexter on your beer pong team... NO.
you don't really go to university or college to have fun, the first aim is to learn something

mgkaplan
06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
A place you might consider is the digital arts and experimental media program at the University of Washington. They have a pHD program, and so if you are truly interested in pursuing one it is an option.

http://www.washington.edu/dxarts/index.php

Keithtron
06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I really really value the Master's degree I got in animation. I'm very happy with the path I took, and wouldn't change anything if I had to do it all over again.

I went to University at Buffalo, a public school in NY, for my undergrad. I started out as a computer science major, but was a bit bored with straight up CS, so I wound up double majoring in CS and Digital Media production. I got a really extensive programming background, while getting a decent start on digital graphics... a bit of Maya, OpenGL programming, VR, 2d stuff, etc. Then I went to NYU's CADA for my MS in animation, and got a good generalist background while concentrating on TD work.

Moving to NYC and getting my MS at NYU opened up a LOT of doors for me. It helps to be in an area that has a lot of production work going on, and all of the teachers at school were working artists. The networking we got out of grad school was invaluable. Networking is just as important as a good reel, if not more so.

I'm sure I've seen a few animations which were a major part of a thesis. You have to be a bit creative, it can't be just a 3D animation (how is that research?) but maybe it could be related to virtual reality, new dynamic solvers, faster rendering algorithms, etc.

Not true, our thesis projects were just straight up animation pieces. The only requirements are that the project supports your specialty and that there's some artisitic creativity behind it. Can't just be purely technical.

HamsterHuey
07-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Hi there,

Have you considered working in the 3D industry in India? I'm from India (I live in the US now) and I do know that the 3D industry has exploded over the last few years. A lot of kids are going into animation now. There have also been quite a few collaborations between US and Indian animation studios. All that considered, you might want to consider applying to some of the animation houses in India. Since it is a newer field there, you would have a better chance of standing out, especially if you work on developing your skills and demo reel on your own free time.

I completely understand the do not want to be engineer thing :). Thankfully things are changing slowly, but for a majority of people it is still the "either be a doctor or an engineer" mentality. Good luck!

rashi
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
thnx guys for all the information well i just got selected for my university so this is the end of ma long vacation and this means lot studyn and less modeling :cry:
any way hope someday i''l be able to go abroad and at least visit to a single SIGRAPH

rashi
09-18-2009, 04:18 PM
hi guys i got selected to university of moratuwa,sri lanka well there no course for 3d animation but theres computer science engineering so i think i'll get to CSE and some fine day get in to 3d

pierechod
09-22-2009, 11:17 PM
yea, i have been looking into this myself, i currently work in the industry and was looking into this as a part time endeavour (4-6 yrs - 20 hrs per week).

There wont be a specific 3d animation course in 3d, however as someone said before you can move to either side of the industry.

Someone said computer science (the process of the technology - scripting, plugins, software, alt software, new software and applications (like AR technology), or simply software and hardware integration (better 3d integration into web browser platforms).

I also however, looked at the other side, the artistic and creative elements.

I am in talks with 5 unis in the UK about some of these, however this is as far as i have got (thesis proposal writing!!!).

HOWEVER

I have also been chatting with a couple of industry schools as an additional educational portal. (escape studios, and VFS) - these would be the quickest route to serious industry, these guys have good long standing relationships with the big studio players.

Personally i am at a bit of a loss! - I am UK based and currently work in the north at a good / large advertising and marketing agency (they have offered to fund either). I do like living up North and if poss dont really fancy london. So do i do the PHD and go the research - technical route or do the industry stuff and try and sell the post pro services into the company up here (i would need to create the studio here and build the team up here)?????

we all need to advance and education can often be that route to progression, so what do you guys think?

hope the info helped!

rashi
09-23-2009, 02:03 PM
hmmmmm in sri lanka we dont have big insdutry in cg so i just dnt knw what to do,i jst have to 4gt about my dreams and do a normal ina computer engineering,i'm totaly messed up just dnt knw what to do

any way thnx 4 your reply

praburaj
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
try

Bournemouth univ UK

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.