PDA

View Full Version : Teesside university help (please)

rockstar30
06-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Hi all,

I received an offer letter from Teesside university for MA in digital animation and I am planning to join the same. My course starts in September. I have several questions in my head can somebody please help me?

1. Is the course really good? I have also received an offer letter from Coventry? Is Teesside better than Coventry?

2. Since money is a major issue for me I will have to work. But will I be able to manage handling a part time job with the given course structure?

3. How is the university like? Is it a fun place to be in?

4. How is Teesside (Middlesbrough) as a place to stay?

If anyone has any info on this university please do let me know :)

Thank you!

ciff
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Hey Smriti,
I did my degree and an MA at Teesside, my MA was in creative multimedia, but my degree was more animation based. They have some great staff an facilities there. Do you know if they teach Maya there now? as it used to be soft or Max. I would say Teesside over Coventry, Teesside and Bournemouth are the leaders in 3d and digital Animation in the UK, their animation courses have been around since the 80's, and the animation festival at Teesside, Animex, held every February is fantastic, with people from ILM, PIXAR, Dreamworks, Sony Imageworks, etc there.

The city is ok, its not the nicest, but no worse than Coventry, and it is improving, the uni itself is very nice, pretty huge now, and the Student Union is award winning, so you don't really need to venture into town too much, but the town its self isn't too bad while the students are there.

Living wise, uni halls, or as close to the uni as possible is good, the outskirts are Rough! lol, so avoid them if possible.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask :)

rockstar30
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the suggestions... I will definitely keep them in mind.

The university rep did tell me that they will be teaching animation in new software, including Maya. He also said that they will be teaching animation right from the basics, starting from drawing. Since the animation process is huge my only concern is they should not rush through the program. I have no 3d experience, which would make it a tedious task.

However, I will go by your word that the staff is good. So I hope I can cope with the course.

Thanks for your help
Smriti

womble1234
06-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I don't have any info about Teeside but just a note about working in the UK:

If you don't have a UK Working Visa then getting a part time job while being a student can be tough. I believe that they check you have enough finances to study and live in the UK without any part time employment, and then you're allowed to work up to something like 15 hours a week.

Just be aware, you need to demonstrate that you can afford to study in the UK without a part time job before you will be allocated a student visa.

Check with your student advisor though, that information might not be totally up to date.

rockstar30
06-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I do know that I am only allowed to work for around 20 hours a week under student visa. I certainly wont be doing anything illegally ;) . It's only during holidays that I can work.

Yeah. you're right I will only get a student visa if I show sufficient funds

Birkie
06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I also went to Teesside, and recommend it; they have some fantastic facilities (in the last couple of years they've spent a huge pile of money on new equipment). As already stated, it's one of the top animation schools in the UK, and as I've never heard of Coventry in association with animation, I'd say you're much better off at Tees.

The hours are more or less what you want them to be to be honest. I only did a BA, and not MA, but on the assumption that the workload is similar, the classes won't take up too much of your time. However, what you will get out of the course will be directly proportional to the amount of time and effort you put into your work outside of classes. I'm not sure what level of expertise you're hoping to come away with, but if you have no 3D experience and want to have an animation reel which will get you an animation job at the end of a year, you will have to work hard! Some people pick up the software more quickly than others, but be prepared for lots of self-directed learning. Teesside have a DVD library full of tutorial DVDs by the likes of Gnomon and Digital Tutors and I recommend you use them often - I was amazed by how few other students were using it while I was there because I learned so much more, and more quickly, from them than from the lectures.

The city is not exactly the nicest place to live in the UK but it's worth being there for the university, especially if you'll only be there for one year.

Good luck, and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have. :)

rockstar30
06-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi James,

Thanks for your valuable tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind when I am there.

Regards,
Smriti

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2009, 05:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.