PDA

View Full Version : Painting clothing help?

ACFred
05-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Hey folks,

I'm coloring in a sketch of this ugly old lady and want to cover her shoulders in a crochetted off-white sweater.
While I'm still working on her face and other exposed skin elements, could any of you help me in the technique of suggesting the mesh of the sweater without actually having to paint every stitch?
I have a hard time just suggesting the look of the clothing and, if left to my own devices, will end up painting each stitch -- which I don't want to do.

I know there are some really talented painters here on this site and would like to pick up some pointers if any of you are so inclined.

Here's the old broad:
http://www.community3d.com/images/fish_woman.jpg

Thanks!

jeroentje
05-10-2002, 07:18 AM
Well...
The answer is in the question ;)
Don't overdo it.

Clothes have less wrinkles than you might think. It just folds up in the inner side of a bend (=good english???). Don't put too hard lines in it, clothes are soft, so keep 'm that way.

Tip: take a good close look at your laundry :)

She reminds me of Jabba the Hutt's mother, nice start.
jeroentje

btw: no offence, but move the hand with the stick a bit to the right (her left)
that way it's more there to support her from falling.

ACFred
05-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the response.

I'll do a quick test for the clothing to see what people think. I'm quite sure it'll come out pretty ugly, but I'll give it a go.

I think you're right about the hand. I drew those fingers in so quickly that they're pretty awful to start with, so I'll probably redo the hands.

Thanks again,

jeroentje
05-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Now that I read it back; I got my rights and lefts mixed up :blush:
I meant; move the hand more to the outside of the picture.

Cheers, jeroentje

Benchpress
05-10-2002, 07:57 PM
Maybe the art can improve if u delete the backround black pencils

Killersquirrelz
05-11-2002, 10:17 PM
to mimic the crochet, I'd

1.) draw the sweater. don't worry about texture, just make sure you get the major folds laid out

2.)lay down a dark color over your drawing

3.) then quickly paint the crisscrossed bands of yarn along the contours of the sweater.

you don't need to be too terribly precise what's important is that some of the dark/darker color shows through to give the feel of little holes and imperfections in crochet.

hope that made sense.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.