PDA

View Full Version : Finished work in ZBrush, can't get a good render from Maya/C4D

distinctgore
06-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi, I recently got ZBrush, and over the last week I have been playing around in it. I made a little test to see how well it output when rendering. I plan to sculpt in ZBrush, get a very high quality render whatever it takes, and then use photoshop for major post production work. Since I just got ZBrush, I decided to make a quick model, and try to render it in high quality. Unfortunately that's as far as I got .

Since I don't like the default way that ZBrush renders (I'm probably doing something wrong) I decided that I would try in Maya or C4D, but I never got that to look very good either. I read most tutorials, but my renders always ended up looking crappy. At the moment, the default view in ZBrush looks the best haha.

These are exports of my model in Zbrush without eyes or teeth.

http://yfrog.com/3o001t
http://yfrog.com/0q002t

I don't need all these options and settings and whistles and bells when rendering. All I need is a way I can sculpt creatures and details in ZBrush, and then get a nice looking render, where I can setup light sources and materials (something that I find hard to fake in photoshop). Going through Maya just hurt my head. I like C4D because it has a much easier UI and I like the material options much better.

I just can't get detail from my Displacement maps in Maya or C4D, I haven't tried 3ds Max yet, does anyone know if that is easier? For one thing, their are actual in-depth tutorials on 3ds Max which I couldn't find on Maya or let alone C4D.

Is Vray any friendlier to use? Basically what I am trying to achieve is a look like this:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=038589

You will probably need more info as to what the renders actually look like in Maya and C4D, but before I go into that deep stuff, I just wanted to know if 3ds Max is any easier (or if the tutorials are more user friendly). And anything else that might help me achieve a nice render.

Thanks heaps, Max

wwswimming
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I just can't get detail from my Displacement maps in Maya or C4D, I haven't tried 3ds Max yet, does anyone know if that is easier? For one thing, their are actual in-depth tutorials on 3ds Max which I couldn't find on Maya or let alone C4D.

Thanks heaps, Max

in order to capture the detail, it helps to open up the maps in Photoshop & adjust levels to make the detail 'pop out'.

it takes a lot of experimentation. you get a different displacement map for different model resolutions (adjusted in Geometry). also, the displacement map tends to have white & black artifacts at the Pelt (UV) seams.

newellteapot
06-18-2009, 09:19 AM
If I got it right, you are struggling with exporting displacement maps?
well, why don't you just export the model at a very high detail in maya, I mean without using maps?
If it's just a still you are after......

BHVampire
06-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Try with a Paralel camera...

I prefer increase the width...

Z-Brush use a parallel camera...

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2009, 05:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.