PDA

View Full Version : VRay Light Vs MR Light

Maaahshoe
06-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi,

I am using 3DsMax and just realised a big difference between MR and VRAY. I typically use MR but a few days ago compairing lights I stumbled on something that really bothers me and I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm doing something wrong. Using a FreeLight and activating the Shape/Area Shadows, I always thought the light gets distributed from the shape as it does with a VRAY Light. But this isn't the case, is there some setting I'm missing???

Someone give me that golden answer.

Matt :wip:

mister3d
06-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Use mrportal light, but turn on "custom" in its paratemers to be self-illuminating.

Maaahshoe
06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply mister3d, but hmmmmm doesn't look as nice as a vray light. Damn...

mister3d
06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the reply mister3d, but hmmmmm doesn't look as nice as a vray light. Damn...

Do you mean its light uneven distribution? It's just different, not worse. MR portal distribution is more scientifically correct.

cani
06-14-2009, 01:55 AM
For physicly correct light use a photometric light with an IES file loaded in the web distribution slot.
Your scene must be at the right scale tough.

IES files are free and are real world's light equivalent (neon, bulb, etc) in computers.

you can find them in many site like this one :

http://www.erco.com/

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2009, 01:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.