PDA

View Full Version : Help starting a car model

trexplayinggolf
06-13-2009, 02:58 AM
I've been out of the loop of modeling for a while, and I need some guidance on modeling a NASCAR stock car for a personal project.
I've tried box modeling, nurbs, and starting from the wheel wells. Nothing is working.
Part of it is due to the fact that my reference image is from the-blueprints.com and not a very good profile picture. The other part is that I don't remember what the topology for a car should be. Any reference images or guidance would be helpful.
Thanks!

Dearranged
06-16-2009, 05:48 PM
The way I see people modelling cars is by using a spline cage, build up the general shape of the car with splines and then add a surface modifier (or equivalent in your software). I think your spline cage has to be composed of quads for the surface modifier to work correctly.

wwswimming
06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
George Maestri has a good car-model-from-NURBS in his Max 6 tutorial at Lynda.com

he uses an Austin mini-Cooper as his image plane drawings.

it's important to get good ref. drawings, if necessary taking your own photos of the vehicle you want to draw. side, front, top

gumurki
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM
There are many ways to skin the fish, you have to be patient, and slowly find out what works best for you! I prefer the method extruding all the panels out of a plane, with the help of some guidecurves!

there are a lot of "Making a car" tuts on the web, check this one

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/

also digital tutors and the gnomonworkshop have some superb dvd's!

cheers

ScotchTapeWorm3D
06-19-2009, 11:47 PM
I would recommend poly by poly.

tyapa
06-24-2009, 02:30 AM
Or maybe, if it's not too hard to do. You could draw and front and side views of the car and put those on a separate camera views and then mould your polygon switch between the front and side views so that the polygon is roughly the shape of the car's outline and then you can put in the smaller details later.

fuzzylizard
06-24-2009, 02:59 AM
Two follow up questions if I may:

1. what about starting off box modeling the rough shape of the car and then adding details?

2. do most people prefer pol/subD modeling or nurbs for doing cars?

Nidirhab
06-24-2009, 05:22 AM
recomend you, edit plane 1x1 segment, then convert it to editable poly and begin modeling ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2009, 05:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.