PDA

View Full Version : Motion designer and clothes?

Perambulator
07-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Ok, I have a character.

Body deformed by bones, clothes sit on top of body.

Collision object for clothes will be the bone deformed body.

Do I need to use MDScan (What is this by the way don't really understand) with motion designer to deform the clothes, or will it simply work on the basis of the deformations to the body object?

When would you use MDScan (and the other one that I can't remember the name of?

Thanks

Rich

Rabid pitbull
07-23-2003, 08:50 PM
ok i admit i haven't played with md too much, sort of get a head ache when i do....

but I have seen some very good tutorials on the subject here

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/

hope this helps you.

good luck

Facial Deluxe
07-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Perambulator
Ok, I have a character.

Body deformed by bones, clothes sit on top of body.

Collision object for clothes will be the bone deformed body.

Do I need to use MDScan (What is this by the way don't really understand) with motion designer to deform the clothes, or will it simply work on the basis of the deformations to the body object?

When would you use MDScan (and the other one that I can't remember the name of?

Thanks

Rich

MD Scan is a kind of recorder of deformations.

I use it a lot at the moment :

Got a character rigged and animated, i use MD Scan on it to create a MDD file (deformation record file). That way, all the deformations that happen during animation (bones, morphs etc.) are recorded.
Then I reload my character without the rig and apply the MDD file on it, via MD MetaPlug.
Result is my character is moving the sameway without any rig in it.

This is very useful in scene where you have plenty of characters moving :
you animate them separatly with their proper rig
record MDD fille (MDD Scan)
Reimport all the characters together and aplly their respectives animations (MD MetaPlug)

That way, you only have meshes, no rigs to compute, which make OpenGL much faster :)

Perambulator
07-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Aha, that sounds pretty good and quite efficient. I shall use that once I have the results I need!

Thanks for the help guys. Will show off my results soon.

Rich

Celshader
07-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Perambulator
...will it simply work on the basis of the deformations to the body object?

Yes, it will.

I did not use MD_Scan for my taekwondo (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/md/TKD-kara.mov) animation. The MD calculated fine despite the bones and IK applied to the elf-girl's body.

Shade01
07-24-2003, 10:40 AM
If you use MD Scan on one figure and apply it to a figure of a different height, does MD scan scale to the height of the figure or do you have to use a figure of similar build to get expected results?

Facial Deluxe
07-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Not sure, I'd say no...

Celshader
07-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Shade01
If you use MD Scan on one figure and apply it to a figure of a different height, does MD scan scale to the height of the figure or do you have to use a figure of similar build to get expected results?

Even if both characters had the same point order, I figure the ponts of the different-height character would snap to the same positions dictated in the MDD file.

If you played the MDD back on an object with a different point order using MD_MetaPlug, the "Cage" object should be an object with the same point order as the object that you originally recorded the MDD data from. The "Cage" object would act as a lattice on the playback object.

I say use a figure of similar build to get predictable results.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.