PDA

View Full Version : maya fur mental ray flicker solution?

alecorre
06-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Rendering fur in maya with mental ray looks great, except when you have an animation. then it just flickers like mad. Are there any render settings/methods to avoid flickering fur? I have been searching everywhere for an answer...

cbamber85
06-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Is it just the fur, or is it other surfaces as well? Are you using FG/GI, just FG or neither? Show some pics...

alecorre
06-14-2009, 12:31 AM
just the fur flickers, no final gathering, no global illumination, nothing special, just a regular mental ray render set on production preset. If the fur is rendered with the native maya render, there is no flickering so it is definitely a mental ray issue.

will have to upload an animation as a still doesn't show anything of course.

I have read of several others having the same issues with mental ray and fur, but have yet to read a solution.

There must be some special settings for mental ray to render fur either on the fur settings or on the render settings in mental ray, but I can't find any answers.

cbamber85
06-14-2009, 12:48 AM
You've probably tried this, but I have to ask.

Solution: Use the Production: Rapid Fur Quality Preset option in the Quality tab in Render Settings: mental ray tabs (file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/Maya2009/docs/Maya2009/en_US/files/Rendering_Windows_and_Editors_Render_Settings_mental_ray_tab.htm) as a good starting point, then increase the Number of Samples on the Fur Feedback node; make sure that the overall sampling range is as large as the sampling setting in the fur feedback, otherwise these per object values will be clipped. Use the Production: Fine Trace Quality Preset option if you need to raytrace.

alecorre
06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
to increase the number of samples in the volume fur samples setting or do you mean in the mental ray tab in the fur feedback Shapenode to increase the min and max sample levels in the antialiasing sampling override?

cbamber85
06-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I've never used it personally, but it appears to say set the fur sample settings the same or smaller than the global settings/override settings - so both.

alecorre
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
thanks for the replies. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.