PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for SMC 10

paulcapon
06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi folks,

SMC 10 won't start until Monday, June 15th, but we should probably get some ideas out there now for the next challenge. Any ideas?

OmarO
06-12-2009, 02:47 PM
A pocketknife, Leatherman etc.
You can choose wheter the "stash" can be folded out or what ever you prefer. That would be cool.

Immortal765
06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
An MP3 player connected to either headphones, or dock, or etc.
Models must be representational of current (2 years or younger) devices.

paulcapon
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I dunno folks, how bout something a little more out there. We did RPG weapons a while back...how bout something Sci Fi. Laser guns would be fun.

-JohNny45

Immortal765
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I have a feeling that "out there" is synonymous with "impossible to model in 100 minutes."

:P

BigRed11
06-12-2009, 06:26 PM
How about a chandelier?

paulcapon
06-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't think that's true Immortal...you model what you can in the given time period. if you look at some of the other challenges people have done a lot more in 100 minutes than you would think is possible at first.

Another idea...Jetpacks! :)

Immortal765
06-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Oh well...it's probably just the pessimist in me talking.

How about a pip-boy.

paulcapon
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
That's a really cool idea! Love it.

-JohNny45

Digitool
06-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I think these idea's are too narrow... no offense

The topics should be categories more than a label.

Categories allow for a more wide open variety of entries... otherwise everyone has a slightly different version of the same thing. Which is kind of my idea of the Orrery. Which is a cool idea and all, but it is just one object with one main means of operation.

here are a few suggestions...

Futuristic Public Transportation
Fantasy Creature
Household Appliances

paulcapon
06-13-2009, 04:22 PM
No offence taken...I think you're right. How about Art Deco? Does that qualify? That might be a little 'too' broad...so Art Deco vehicle or Art Deco weapons?

-JohNny45

SKeller
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I like the idea of doing fantasy creatures. Since the beggining of theses challenges we haven't done anything organic. Another suggestion would be cartoon characters.

paulcapon
06-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Sounds good...Fantasy creatures...should get some really nice different results.

jenbu
06-14-2009, 05:21 PM
How about using a generator.
there is plenty at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/ (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/)

its worth a try. sometimes its best to leave it random or people suggest stuff they like modeling. where that is all good and well SMC are more about getting your technique and workflow down rather then modeling stuff you like to do.

just my 2pence like.

J

Digitool
06-14-2009, 05:43 PM
i understand where you're coming from.

When I list topics though, I try to pick things that are random and possibly a challenge or something everyone could gain from.

RossHildick3D
06-14-2009, 06:58 PM
hey, im new to this speed modeling thing... I dont know if this falls under "modeling"? but what about:

Heat? - Think about much you could do in so little time! a real challenge if you ask me!

You get to play with fire, heat waves, lava (so fluid?) all sorts! - will get some very interesting things coming out with that topic... Also, maybe a better choice?:

The Elements. ?

Immortal765
06-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Cnine, I think that would fall closer towards texturing, shaders, lighting, and effects. I mean, true, you can model heat or any of those you mentioned. But, it would only take most of us 10 seconds to model it and I don't think anyone could trully benefit from that.

Something like a volcano would be more towards modeling. Even then, it's not much of a challenge (especially if one has ZBrush).

Digitool, I don't agree with using a broad topic. I feel that if we try to broaden the topic of a SMC, then the SMC will lose its purpose.

Take futuristic public transportation, for example. That term could conjure up a myriad of images. I model a flying car and someone else models some kind of a bullet train. They fall under the topic, but are extremely different from each other. So naturally the difficulty of speed modeling would be variable between those two models. Therefore, how am I able to compare my skill with the skill of the one who modeled the bullet train?

Having a narrow topic allows the participants to compare their skills with others more accurately to be able to seek the advice of those who they think have a more efficient, more sophisiticated method of speed modeling.

To my understanding, there's no judging that's involved in SMC. It is crucial, however, for this to occur on an individual level so that each participant can individually assess their skill and ask questions on how to improve. Therefore, I feel that one's skill level is more easily assessable when a narrow topic is used for SMC.

Sorry for the WOT (wall of text). It's just habit. Understandably, I am somewhat of new blood, but I feel that my opinion is worth hearing.

Digitool
06-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Absolutely. Everyone's opinion is worth hearing and is (for as long as I've ever come to this site) encouraged and welcomed.

You have some good points, but I think that maybe we can compromise.

For example... You can take a topic that is broad, such as the fantasy creature topic I suggested, and narrow it down with the rules / sub-topic.

So basically, say people decided they wanted to model something organic, for a change of pace, and we did the fantasy creature. It wins the votes. Who-ever creates the challenge would then specify more detail to it, in an attempt to bring everyone's creative focus to a relatively similar understanding of what needs to be created.

Say it's : "Challenge is to create a reptilian creature wielding ancient Egyptian armor. Modeling time is 115 minutes. Please submit at the very least a wireframe (or wireframe on shaded view) along with a program default shaded view from the perspective viewport. If you wish to add a beauty render, please do so, but only one beauty shot. Please include a brief paragraph sharing insight to your approach and any techniques. Feel free to ask for advice or ask any questions pertaining to your model."

Basically, I used that based off of past speed modeling challenges from other sites I used to frequent. Normally, I would leave it at just any fantasy creature, but you're totally right, in my opinion, that having a point of reference that has continuity throughout all the participants' submissions is important to growth, in addition to the actual modeling process.

Also, I tossed in a reminder that the objective is to learn more and grow as artists, not to showcase "look what I can do"'s.

By using the vague topic durring voting we can get feedback from those who are voting as to what direction they want to take that topic, so that way although someone may suggest one thing, several other people can add to it and make it more refined by the time the challenge comes around.

We're still trying to establish an identity for these speed modeling challenges. They were untouched for the longest time until a few of us started trying to get some interest back to them, and we're finally starting to see some good, strong participation.

It's common on many other sites to actually have a vote (based on the standard shaded / wirefram submissions) to determine everyones opinion of the "best" model. I personally feel that with such few of us at this point, a vote is kind of pointless, and additionally, a vote takes more away from the learning aspect. Granted it does push you to try and be more creative and have a better looking model.

So I guess, if I still have your attention, lol, should we consider adding a vote to the end of the challenges? It typically (to be most effective) takes a full week to vote, which would mean a new challenge every other week instead of every week.

BigRed11
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I would rather avoid having a vote, especially if it means giving up a week's time that could be used for the next challenge. For me, this is more for praticing, sharing, and improving technique than a competition. Your idea of having the challenge-creator give the topic more constraints is a good one - it adds some aspect of uncertainty to what exactly the challenge will be until it is posted.

paulcapon
06-15-2009, 02:45 PM
How about this week Digitool you choose the challenge and next week Immortal you choose it...using the criteria you've both compromised on...something fairly specific, but with room for artistic interpretation? That way we can get the next challenge started and Immortal you've got a week to come up with something you think will be a good test for all of us. Does that sound reasonable?

-JohNny45

Digitool
06-15-2009, 05:56 PM
sounds good.... challenge on the way

Immortal765
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I accept and am grateful to take on the responsibility of setting up next week's SMC (SMC 11).

I agree with compromise Digitool articulated, but I am still a little confused on SMC preparation.

After SMC 11 (since SMC 10 and 11 are now determined), are we going to hold a vote for the best SMC idea in the preparation thread? Whoever came up with the idea that received the most votes recieves the responsibility of making the SMC or will the responsibility of making the SMC be based on a round-robin system among the participants?

paulcapon
06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
How about this:

Whoever starts the topic...so this week Digitool, chooses a participant from their challenge to decide on the next challenge. Since Immortal is already going next week, he'd be the first to choose someone. That way we pick someone who actually participated in the previous challenge. You could either have that person pick 3 or 4 things and start a poll to decide which one to do or no questions asked, whatever topic they choose.

-JohNny45

Immortal765
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
That's a solid idea.

Digitool
06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
That's nice. A passing of the torch, so to speak.

I think it should be clear though, that a PM should probably be sent to the person chosen as well, in hopes that they can get ready earlier rather than later.

Now, I think we're starting to really make some bigger strides with this speed modeling. I like all the input and ideas and the willingness to make it better.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.