PDA

View Full Version : What to use..?

iwkya
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey guys,

I'm very new to dealing with my renders and want to learn as much as i can with post production. I have just watched a few tutorials on render pass's which were then shown to be edited together with a software called fusion. I have never really heard of this fusion and the example was a simple still frame of a teapot with 4 render passes. Now, i am only just learning what passes are and how they are used, but to me it seemed a lot of time spent in fusion to put together 4 passes properly for one frame.

As this was a still frame in the example, my question is based on what the passes for an animation. Is there a faster way to render say 100 frames out for each pass and put them together all at once in ae, as oppose to merging each pass together for each frame.

I hope this makes sense as it barley does to me :)

Is there any place anyone can point to for a beginners guide to passes and post editing in something other than fusion :) ..

My head hurts
Thanks

theotheo
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Ehrm, any comp app can pick up an image sequence, you don't have to merge each pass for each frame, the app does it for you as long as you supply an image-sequence (ie test001.exr test002.exr test003.exr etc etc)

Hope that makes sense,

-theo

iwkya
06-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the reply mate.

After i posted a did a simple 100 frame anim with sannerline render. I made 4 passes - Lighting, diffuse, shadow and specular all as tga's. I then took them into after effects and added them all to a new composition and used screen and multiply blend modes. This seemed to work great, but the only thing i was unsure on was the order these passes should go in ?

Any help on this will be great, and thanks again for replying theotheo.. :)

scrimski
06-12-2009, 06:18 PM
http://3drender.com/light/compositing/index.html

A quick google search for "compositing after effects" offer a few more links.

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2009, 06:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.