PDA

View Full Version : Secret Agent Entry: Tyson Ibele

ivanisavich
06-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Tyson Ibele is entered in the "Secret Agent" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/view_entries.php?challenger=17618)

Latest Update: Work In Progress: Animation WIP -3
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1252405143_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6093017#post6093017)

fgdf
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Nice to see you! I hope you're provide us with some inspirational stuff.
Good luck!

doffer
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey Tyson!

Good luck with your entry ;)

Still blown away by your last entry so can't wait to see this :D

Cheers

ximage
06-13-2009, 09:21 AM
hey tyson!

how come your not eligeble for prizes this year, can't see you on the judges panel?

is it just because your too hard to compete with!! ;)

good luck dude

Daniel

ivanisavich
06-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey thanks guys!

Daniel: one of the admins messaged me and mentioned that you can't win twice in a row :)

grafi
06-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Yo Tyson, can't wait to see your entry!

arLutiK
06-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Heya T

Good to see you again here.

This time will try to finish it and keep it simple.

Can't wait to see what you are cooking :)

IestynRoberts
06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey T!

Nice man! Looking forward seeing what you'll come up for this one :)
- Iest

Niall
06-15-2009, 03:08 AM
hi tyson, nice to see you enter again, eventho you cannot win, its ok, we love your inspirational work, cant wait to see more :)

gpepper
06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Cool to see you here even if you won't catch any price...
It is always a pleasure to follow your thread !

Syndicate
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Looking forward to your entry Tyson.
If its better than all of ours and you can't win... someone will probably donate their prize :P

adib
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Master Tyson! But you allready win twice,maybe it s about third time you r not eligible for prize.In my opinion you are a natural born winner.So what is your next movie tutorial?You proabably should make an DVD tutorial with your movies,with this last one.I think will be a great succes.

Again,Respect and Admiration for your skills!

Best to you!

jigu
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
haha T .... I wished you were eligible really there...coz you can make hat trick that for sure.

Looking forward to this one... (I want to see "Kramer" from seinfield as your spy... :D , I remember you made something on seinfield before..)

Pyke
06-19-2009, 07:49 AM
*Tap tap tap*.

Cmaan man! Your stuff is ALWAYS inspirational!

ivanisavich
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Hehe...well I've been extra-ordinarily busy :eek:

Had a final exam today and the last couple of weeks have been filled with projects for MAKE.

I hope to start up on this soon....I'm kinda torn between the type of idea I want to go with though. I haven an idea for a cute/funny animation, and one that's more realistic and hyper-violent.....not sure what I'm going with yet....

Pyke
06-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Well I'm all for the hyper violence! Why not mix the two...hyper violence with cartoony style, like your anim with the mouse that gets caught in the trap? I think it would be 'cool' to see a cartoony guy being shredded by a machine gun. ;)

Tris3d
06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Looking forward to your entry mate! Hope you find time soon.

MaToPi
06-21-2009, 03:30 AM
I have seen some of your previous work and all I can say is that they're awesome. Always a good source of inspiration.

Kev3D
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
OOH, hype-violent please.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

carlw
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I always love your work...I hope you can produce something for this!

Kris-Rusinek
06-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Well well! Tyson again ;) U never stop amazing me... thought U're gonna be the judge this time... but no - here u go - creating stunning CG stuff again.
Good luck!

ivanisavich
07-05-2009, 07:46 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1246776396_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1246776396_medium.jpg)

Side view of head...

ivanisavich
07-05-2009, 07:47 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1246776434_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1246776434_medium.jpg)

Front view of head...

ivanisavich
07-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey guys,

So I've FINALLY had a chance to start my entry (yep that's right....hadn't started it till now :(....I'm a month behind!)

Story is being worked on still....so I won't reveal anything about that. It's going to have a couple of different human characters though. The main character, who you can see here, is our secret agent. There's going to be someone on a motorcycle that he's after, as well as a small child who's role in the story will be revealed later :)

bala2007
07-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Thought you abandoned the challenge. Anyway it's coming along. i hope you finish on time. (what am i saying this Tyson for Christ sakes).

redCigarette
07-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Haha that's a nice model Tyson! Looks like the elder brother of Hemlock guy.:D
And yeah I am curious about the motorcycle sequence! Hope to see some animations soon.

Pyke
07-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice to see you in! You had me worried for a second there...

After seeing your car crash entry with the robot on the 350Z, Ive wanted to see you do a car chase scene for aaaaages!

I like the character so far...he kinda looks like Steve Carell, only cooler. ;)

borisignjatovic
07-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Very nice start. I'm impresed with your last video, and I know that you'll nail this one too.

Good luck!

ivanisavich
07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1248329729_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1248329729_medium.jpg)

Ugh....so I've had almost no time to work on this thing. It sucks because we're almost 2 months into the competition and I only have 1 shot done :(

Oh well, if I don't finish on time for the contest deadline I still plan on finishing the film in my spare time after :)

Here's the clip:

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/SecretAgent/020_01Lg_Prog.mov (2mb)

This is from the beginning of the film where our agent jumps down off a rooftop and pursues the target. He has these gadgets on his hands that use electromagnetism to manipulate metal objects around him. They don't do anything in this clip but you can see their little lights as he jumps off the roof.

Pyke
07-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Damn Tyson! Ill admit I'm kinda glad you cant win! :D

Insane looking shot. I love the sense of momentum you get.
I do have a few questions that I hope you can answer from a technical point of view.

How extensively do you previs your shots? Or do you at all? I know from other challenges that your previs tends to be loose sketches, and you resolve most of your camera moves while animating-but do you do your animation, and then set the camera? Or do you set up the camera move to a blocked out animation, and then refine it?

Are your lens flares done in post? They look really impressive!

Same for your motion blur? Is it in render, or done in post?

I've been having major issues with compressing my video. Your compression and quality is outstanding! Which codecs/programs do you use?

Again man-I'm in awe!

Tris3d
07-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow! Incredible. You seem to be able to fill your scene with so many details. Cant wait to see this finished whether its before or after the deadline!

Tristan

redCigarette
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Sweetness!
The long awaited update! And oh boy, how cool is that.. :D

ivanisavich
07-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys! :D

How extensively do you previs your shots? Or do you at all? I know from other challenges that your previs tends to be loose sketches, and you resolve most of your camera moves while animating-but do you do your animation, and then set the camera? Or do you set up the camera move to a blocked out animation, and then refine it?

I usually do very little previs. For this shot, once I could picture it in my mind, I setup the initial scene by placing boxes where I wanted buildings, and another box where the character should be. Then I animated the box moving forward and going off the edge of the building as reference for my camera move. Once I made the camera move with those proxy objects, I brought in the main character rig and animated it accordingly. Then I went through and replaced all the placeholder building-boxes with actual buildings.

Are your lens flares done in post? They look really impressive!

Yep :)

Same for your motion blur? Is it in render, or done in post?

I used to do all my motion blur in post, but lately I've been doing 3d motion blur right out of max because it looks so much nicer. In the case of this shot, I'm using Mental Ray for all of the passes, and MR has some really nice and fast 3d motion blur. If you turn on MR's fast rasterizer and tweak the settings according, you can get really nice 3d motion blur with only about a 10-15% increase in rendertime.

I've been having major issues with compressing my video. Your compression and quality is outstanding! Which codecs/programs do you use?

Sorenson 3 w/Sorenson Squeeze :)

adib
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Incredible WORK ! Do you have any limits?:applause: So,once again you deserve to win!
See ya Master Tyson!:buttrock:

Duncs
07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I think I said the same about your steampunk entry - you should be in a category of your own mate...

Phenomenal shot, made to look easy...

Ac0rN
07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey, it looks great. Is his clothes moving? looks very nice ;)

saeDubai
07-24-2009, 12:33 AM
w00t, consider me floored, haha.

Best regards, Varun

carlw
07-24-2009, 03:58 AM
That looks incredible!
How long did it take to put the scene together? Like how many different buildings did you have to model etc. ?

Niall
07-24-2009, 04:12 AM
wow:surprised, as always tyson.... incredible shot, maybe you should make your own movie... like animated series or something :D

hmmm... i think his pose while he start to jump is a bit akward... i think even when he is jumping like that his head should facing forward... instead of tuck down, but i guess it just me :D.....cant wait to see this finish....

tokanohanna
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I actually like the dip he takes before he leaps. It's suttle, but it makes the jump more explosive. City is real nice bro.

ragdoll
07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
feels like prototype...i like very much!...is this using the boxx that you won? :D

mad-
07-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Great work!!

destruct007
07-25-2009, 01:07 AM
2 months is plenty of time. Edit something down for the deadline and submit that, and finish the rest in your spare time. Looks great so far! Great camera work!

edit: 2 months ...er 6 weeks? Oh damn!

arLutiK
07-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Heya T

Glad to see you are still working on it, I'm stuck on so many contract I can't work on the contest at all (at least bank account gets bigger)

Hell of a job you did on the building they are very nice, did you have those done before for another project or did you model them for this one.

You're the king of ambiance, it's damn time we see your name on a big Holywood production :)

Keep up the great work mate

visionmaster2
07-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Great Work Tyson, i can't wait to see your short !

:drool:

Weihalter
07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Just epic, I hope you win :)

ivanisavich
08-08-2009, 04:39 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1249702782_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1249702782_medium.jpg)

Hey all,

Another animation/editing update. Here's the current state of the intro of the film.

The juxtaposition of city/snowy environments will make more sense once you see how the story is further fleshed out :)

There's a few issues that need sorting out here. The biggest ones are the contrast loss during the roof jump bit, as well as some funky stuff going on with the fingers of the character's hand right before he slumps down into the snow. Progress is slow though...with school/work, I'm only able to get like 1 shot done per week for this project.

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/SecretAgent/sequence_comp_03Lg_Prog.mov (25mb)

redCigarette
08-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Looks great! So its going to be a short film? You planning to continue it over even after the challenge or what? That would be awesome.
Besides, just one small thing at the end, the agent's transition from falling to standing(and talking on phone?) looks a bit off. Or maybe we just need to see the whole thing ;)

Wish it had sound though.

Richard3d
08-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Really impressive stuff Tyson. You create such a strong atmosphere in every shot. Well done.

squall787
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Looks great! So its going to be a short film? You planning to continue it over even after the challenge or what? That would be awesome.
Besides, just one small thing at the end, the agent's transition from falling to standing(and talking on phone?) looks a bit off. Or maybe we just need to see the whole thing ;)

Wish it had sound though.

I think whats wrong is that the characters weight is on his front leg instead of his back leg when he starts to stand up. I believe if i were to lift my right leg with my center of weight like that, i would surely fall on my face :)

But like he said, it looks awesome!!

ragdoll
08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
I think whats wrong is that the characters weight is on his front leg instead of his back leg when he starts to stand up. I believe if i were to lift my right leg with my center of weight like that, i would surely fall on my face :)

But like he said, it looks awesome!!

the guy's a super secret agent! no right leg, left leg, difference is gonna make him fall flat on his face! where's your sense of imagination sir?!

just kidding... :D

good point! the shot of him standing up does look a bit weird, perhaps a step forward with his left leg instead of a step backward with his right would make it look better...no? either way :thumbsup:

ivanisavich
08-09-2009, 01:49 AM

Try acting out the motion...you'll see it feels natural to push off with your front leg. And no, you won't fall on your face :D

Maybe someday if I have time I'll have him lean back a little more just to exaggerate the motion.

JsGuillemette
08-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Wow seriously. You once again set the bar quite high. Really inspiring for our team to see this! Even tho we're entering late in the game, its projects like this that motivate us to work harder!

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see how this will look like in the end!

neo7566
08-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Tyson,
I'm a editor by trade and just started out with CG, but I really can appreciate the transitional edit from the snowy scene to your city scene. The match cut between when he fail in the snow to when he jumps to the ground is great. Very cool idea. Your animation is always great, but I want to say, keep up the great editing!
Charles

GerR
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Always loved your stuff Tyson. This is promissing to be really great when you finish it.

There is quite a similar look between this character and the character from your steampunk entry. I guess you have a consistant look that you like to go for when doing independent work.

tokanohanna
08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1249702782_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1249702782_medium.jpg)

Hey all,

Another animation/editing update. Here's the current state of the intro of the film.

The juxtaposition of city/snowy environments will make more sense once you see how the story is further fleshed out :)

There's a few issues that need sorting out here. The biggest ones are the contrast loss during the roof jump bit, as well as some funky stuff going on with the fingers of the character's hand right before he slumps down into the snow. Progress is slow though...with school/work, I'm only able to get like 1 shot done per week for this project.

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/SecretAgent/sequence_comp_03Lg_Prog.mov (25mb)

You are a one man army. Great start. I'm kinda in the same boat you are. I'm shuffling between work and night school. It's quite difficult trying to get shots out. Just going to keep grinding and whatever I get done I'll just submit. Hope to see more. Good luck bro.

visionmaster2
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Great Work Tyson ! :buttrock:

Thiago-Pires
08-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Amazing work as always!

gregmcquay
08-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Wow! Another classic in the works! Can't wait to see the next scene!

KingTezz
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
your work is amazing, checked out your portfolio jus now :eek: :bowdown:

dhesing
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
HI Tyson,

Amazing work, How many hours you work in a day. I am wondaring!!

arturro
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
insane! you must be an agent to do all this your own, and you must have a lot of tech gadgets that help you :twisted:
awsome stuff, just awsome
good luck

ivanisavich
08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments :)

Making progress has been hard. I was sick for a week recently, and have been busy with other things. I try to get a couple shots out a week though. I have some new progress but I won't post it yet :)

However, Colin Heath offered to do a sound treatment for the shots I posted so far. Check it out here! http://vimeo.com/6299556

baron8566
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey Tyson,

I like the sound, what Colin made.. is he going to make sound for your finished film?

ivanisavich
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey Tyson,

I like the sound, what Colin made.. is he going to make sound for your finished film?

No, I'll be doing the sound for the final.

pierzak
08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
It will be hard to make it different and better than what your friend did.

Syndicate
08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Hmm I think Tyson can do a better job, the music doesnt quite sit with me.
Still a great gesture though, as you can see Mr T inspires a lot of people :)

tokanohanna
08-28-2009, 05:36 PM
A hustler's dream is a hater's nightmare.

Poirot
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Mr T inspires a lot of people :)

You can say that again. (about 1000 times)

I will be looking forward to this day when Tyson finishes this animation. I wont be surprised if in couple of years we will be seeing a full feature CG movie created by T.I :)

Staszek
08-31-2009, 03:22 PM
nice gloves :) but remmember that i had in storybord power gloves first! ;)

I like effect of falling down - nice feeling of distance.
Cloths are realy nice - mix of cloth simulation and rigg? - maybe some of noise modificator too ?

ivanisavich
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for stopping by guys :)

nice gloves :) but remmember that i had in storybord power gloves first! ;)

They're not gloves :) They're gadgets attached to the backs of his hands....you'll see them better in some of the next shots where you see closeups of them.

Cloths are realy nice - mix of cloth simulation and rigg? - maybe some of noise modificator too ?

The clothes are done with built-in max cloth. It's tricky getting it to work right (verrry ****ing tricky....I spent hours and hours getting the sim to work for the jumping down shot hahaa) but it works pretty well once you iron out the bugs.

Staszek
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
thats true maxs cloth are very tricky... awsome you did it - i have to say its best max bulit in cloth sim i saw... i thought you did it in maya - there its not easy too but for sure works better i guess:)

im wondering how did you figured out those problems with arms down(arm pits).. as far i tested maxcloth, the cloth was interupting all the time cosing lot of troubles esspetially in dynamic animation.

last question ;) did you maded cloth from mesh or from splines and garment ?

pierzak
08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
If you don't mind me asking.. but shouldn't you be in the Jury ? :)

BTW. How are you doing with your animation... will you make it min 90 sec becasue I find it quite difficult, but perhaps I have chosen most difficult approach with green screen etc..

ivanisavich
09-01-2009, 02:50 AM
im wondering how did you figured out those problems with arms down(arm pits).. as far i tested maxcloth, the cloth was interupting all the time cosing lot of troubles esspetially in dynamic animation.

Well, there's no easy answer. For some of the shots, the armpits simmed fine, for others, I had to set the vertices in the problem area to "preserved" so that they just use the animation from the skin modifier. In other shots, I simmed the pit areas, but they were very garbled, so after the sim I used a relax modifier on them to smooth them out.

last question ;) did you maded cloth from mesh or from splines and garment ?

Nah it's just a mesh :) I don't know how to use the garment maker.

ivanisavich
09-01-2009, 04:42 AM
If you don't mind me asking.. but shouldn't you be in the Jury ? :)

I was originally asked to...but when I replied I never got an answer. I think maybe my email got lost in cyberspace :)

BTW. How are you doing with your animation... will you make it min 90 sec becasue I find it quite difficult, but perhaps I have chosen most difficult approach with green screen etc..

I'm a minute in so far, but definitely won't finish for the deadline. I'm going to be expanding the film and finishing it after though :)

pierzak
09-01-2009, 08:08 AM
You can always do 30 fade to black at the end :)... just joking.

ivanisavich
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1252405143_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/25/17618/17618_1252405143_medium.jpg)

Hey guys,

So as I already mentioned I won't be able to finish this film by the deadline, but I'm dedicated to finishing it anyways. It's just over a minute long now, and I'm estimating that when it's done it'll be about 6 minutes.

I've been able to get about 3-4 shots done a week these days. Here's my progress for the last few weeks.

One thing to note, is that you'll see a scene with a flyer attached to a wall that probably won't make sense right now, but the image on it (as well as the character's "hallucination") play very important roles in the film later on. Also, I've recorded a scratch track for the dialog because there's some speaking in the film, but this render has no audio.

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/SecretAgent/sequence_comp_04_fullLg_Prog.mov

pierzak
09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Good stuff. Nice renders, animation is also good. Well done.
I like the guy in the last shot. It looks like an agent from my entry :)
I like to think that our stories overlap at some point :)

Syndicate
09-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey nice work Tyson. Keep it up.

I really like the silhouette of the other guy. Some great camera techniques too.

sknne77
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Question, what lighting solutions do you use? and how long would you say that one of your scenes takes to render?

thanks

Ian S.

ivanisavich
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Question, what lighting solutions do you use? and how long would you say that one of your scenes takes to render?

Everything is being rendered with Mental Ray right now. I haven't been using GI or final gather...just lots of MR Area Omni lights, which give nice soft shadows.

The building pass is about 6-8 minutes a frame. The character pass is about 3-4. The AO is about 3.

ivanisavich
09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks Dariusz and Jonathan :)

More to come soon hopefully!

Richard3d
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Yea that's looking awesome.

destruct007
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
very cool stuff! I love the style if the eyes, how they are dark... seems very noir. Really nice work so far!

baron8566
09-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Tyson,

I can't understand, how you can manage all of that quality stuff just by yourself.. And You're just keep saying that, you havent got enough time, because of work and things... I just can't understand.. The only explanation I can think of, is that You're a machine from an other planet.. just kidding!;)

You're the best, and I mean it.:applause:

sknne77
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Everything is being rendered with Mental Ray right now. I haven't been using GI or final gather...just lots of MR Area Omni lights, which give nice soft shadows.

The building pass is about 6-8 minutes a frame. The character pass is about 3-4. The AO is about 3.

well i gotta say its looking sweet dude. I was originally gonna go with Mental ray to get the textures and the feel to my animation more 'real world' looking. but i just didnt have the time to spare as i joined the competition late as well. ah well next time i suppose, but my idea is down, hope i can pull it off. thanks for your reply mate, much appreciated.

Ian S.

flowingbytes
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Great job, can't wait to see it finished.

Even without soundFX or music it has great mood, love it.

gregmcquay
09-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow! I wish we had more time...I want to see this one finished! Keep up the good work...I'm learning alot from ya!

dhesing
09-09-2009, 07:38 AM
You are the one man army. You are my inspiration. waiting for your final video.

fgdf
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Truly inspirational work men.
_BB

Poirot
09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Not only the CG what is pure. Your video looks and feels like a real movie. Camera angles, movement, the way to story advances. I am so curious to see what comes next.

Maybe i should forget this thread for a while and wait to see the entire film when its done. :)

Saladin17
11-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Stunning work Tyson, I love the color scheme of the back alley it reminds me of Killzone 2, were you aiming for that?...Anyway it would be really awesome to see a tutorial on your camera work and how you tackle that part of the process...keep up the awesome work its nothing short of inspirational:)

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2009, 05:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.