PDA

View Full Version : Satellite rendering with more than 8 cpus

mlager8
06-12-2009, 12:47 AM
My studio just got a new renderfarm, it has 4 racks with a total of 64 cores. We are using maya unlimited which I know lets you render with up to 8 satellite cpus on one license. I have the farm setup with the workstation as the master and the renderfarm as the servers, I added the 4 ips with the port to the rayhost file and it is definitley working but seems kinda slow for the processing power the renderfarm shoud have. Is the 8 cpu cap limiting me? We do have another maya license but I dont know how to assign satellites to differen license keys. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of network? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is up to me and someone else to get this whole thing running. Thanks in advance.

cheebamonkey
06-12-2009, 02:07 AM
satellite blows. If you're investing in a renderfarm, invest in setting it up right with buying nodes (if using something other than software renderer) and a decent render management software like qube or deadline.

mlager8
06-12-2009, 04:54 AM
the renderfarm did come with qube I just haven't installed it yet. Qube doesn't replace satellite though, just manages it, right?

foggyball
06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
You need to be looking at getting Mental ray standalone licenses to utilize those 48 cores. At the moment your using just 8 + your desktop machine.

MMighe
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
In Maya 2009 Service Pack 1 the cpu limit is changed.from the release notes pdf:
What’s new in mental ray for Maya

License scheme for multi-core CPUs

The license scheme for multi-core CPUs has been changed. The limit of 2 or

4 cores per CPU has been removed.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.