PDA

View Full Version : Displacement and SubDivision Approximation issues.

acc9340
06-11-2009, 10:32 PM
This is happening in MAYA 2008. I hope someone can help me.

I have created a displacement map for a moderately low poly model. When I apply it, it looks pretty good.

I then select the mesh and go to window>rendering editor>mental ray>approximation editor.
I create a subdivision approximation node.

The result is a smooth mesh but I lose all displacement. How can I have both at the same time?

Any help would be appreciated.

As always thanks, CG-Folk.

ACC

PacManiac
06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Check that your image isn't using any filtering (top of the list in the attr editor). Most of the time it's best to have it off, occasionally I've found things go bad if it's not on. A bit odd..

Speaking of odd, sometimes my RGB texture goes totally blurs out if my subd level goes above a certain level. Step one level down and it's sharp again. Thought you might want to keep that in mind if that pops up. Has happened a few times for me in 2009.

Also I'm guessing you've checked that your subd levels in the approximation node is high enough? Doubt that's what's causing your problem though.

Good luck. Using MR for Maya, you might need it.

dangerweenie
07-05-2009, 04:53 PM
have you found a solution to this yet? i'm having the same problem.

This is happening in MAYA 2008. I hope someone can help me.

I have created a displacement map for a moderately low poly model. When I apply it, it looks pretty good.

I then select the mesh and go to window>rendering editor>mental ray>approximation editor.
I create a subdivision approximation node.

The result is a smooth mesh but I lose all displacement. How can I have both at the same time?

Any help would be appreciated.

As always thanks, CG-Folk.

ACC

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2009, 04:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.