PDA

View Full Version : 3D Wheel Design rendering/lighting advice

JooS10
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of having several of my 2D wheel designs converted to 3D for visualization purposes in investor presentations.

This is an example of the level of rendering I am going for to help showcase the designs:

http://completecustomwheels.net/store/images/UNO%20Danube.jpg

Any advice in terms of optimal lighting & shader specifications for 3DS Max to help achieve this level of rendering and lighting? What would you suggest to get close to this caliper of rendering?

I greatly appreciate the input.

best regards,

Justin Romo
EI Design, CEO

Goran333
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
men i would love to help you...but and i want same as you...i don't now either how to achieve that...:banghead: i hope that someone here will help you....

noouch
06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
For the sake of simplicity, it would probably be best to use mental ray. The shader shouldn't be too hard, just make an arch&design material with no diffuse, about 95% reflectivity at all angles (check the BRDF settings in the material for that).

The lighting is the hard part. I'm guessing the rim in the render you show was lit using well-placed white cards. In another thread someone posted a link to some nice studio lighting resources, for example this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zARqGgHjNc

I've had pretty good experiences with just pointing spotlights at white planes to make my whitecards. Not the fastest-rendering, but pretty good results.

Alternatively, you can take the easy route and use pre-built studio HDRIs (just google for studio hdri), but that doesn't give you very much control over the result.

phix314
06-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Agreed with the cards approach. Since metal doesn't have anything to light, you must light everything around the metal to give it it's appearance.

One small piece of advice for when you get started - give the cards a ramp, not a solid white. "Real" softboxes aren't edge-to-edge evenly lit.

mister3d
06-21-2009, 10:03 PM
One small piece of advice for when you get started - give the cards a ramp, not a solid white. "Real" softboxes aren't edge-to-edge evenly lit.

That's a good advice :) , as it looks more sophisticated.

JooS10
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!
We will try that out.

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.