PDA

View Full Version : label/material ID pass or RGB mask?

jasonhuang1115
06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, folks,

I used to use multiple RGB color separation passes as mask for tweaking some still image in post (Nuke), and started feeling a bit cumbersome when I need to go back in Maya off-and-on to render specific RGB mask or use "Bezier" to create custom mask based on "currently-have" RGB passes. Since I am going to deal with animated objects later on, it is going to be painstaking process.

However, I heard that "label ID" pass is often lack of color accuracy and hence cause artifacts. I have seen some aliasing issue discussed in different forums.

I am wondering, in real production, will you use the RGB mask or label/material ID pass as mask in compositing especially when you are also dealing with animation which has motion blur? (I plan to generate motion vector pass and add in MB in post)

Thanks.

Galakgorr
06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
if you're going to have a significant amount of motion blur or z-blur on your foreground objects you should really render them on a separate layer from the background. otherwise you'll get weird results around the edges of your blurred object.

jasonhuang1115
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Galakgorr,
My background will be live action footage. Hence what I really care is when my foreground CG character is moving and having more or less motion blur, should I consider render RGB pass or label/material pass as masks for color correction in post in terms of efficiency and artifacts?

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.