PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Gaze

Leonard
07-23-2003, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Our latest article is an interview with Sam Chen, the filmmaker behind 'Eternal Gaze'.

Eternal Gaze recently won the Best Animated Short for the SIGGRAPH 2003 Electronic Theater.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/bigimages/images/eternal_gaze_02.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1423)

Read the Article (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1423)

chudofsinister
07-23-2003, 04:54 AM
Great article, is their anywhere to view the film yet online.

chudofsinister
07-23-2003, 04:59 AM
DOH!
http://www.eternalgaze.com/

Ultragames
07-23-2003, 05:34 AM
I dont see the film on their site. Only the trailer. Is it there and im missing it?

chudofsinister
07-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Nope thats it, says it will not be released until the festival tour is finished.

froggyplat
07-23-2003, 06:36 AM
trailer looks fantastic. i like the choice of "the rite of spring" too...fits well.

flipnap
07-23-2003, 10:14 AM
nice idea.. thought the character animation was a bit stiff, which is a shame cuz it coulda been a really great peice..

Khepri
07-23-2003, 12:51 PM
I have seen the actual statues in a museum, in south of france. pretty cool stuff, he did a nice job giving the animation(from the trailers perspective) the mood it has now.

nice style!

madmanmagic
07-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know, or if Sam is reading this, where he has been working while creating this film?

Was it done in his free time?

The article lists:
Production Statistics
Timeframe: 2.5 years of production, 0.5 years of research and story development.

This brings me to my main point. If you are lucky enough to work at Pixar or dream studio of choice. Does what you create on the side become thier property?

If one artist can create such a great looking film as this piece, but you want to keep the property your own, do you have to take a job that is not industry connected?

Dan

lildragon
07-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by madmanmagic
Does what you create on the side become thier property?

do you have to take a job that is not industry connected?

Dan

Yes and no, it depends on the studio's policy, here @ Calibre Digital in Canada, we're free to create whatever we want outside the company, just so long as you don't use the company's name to promote it. Other studios have policies setup for what you're questioning. Simply ask when you're on an interview and they'll let you know.

-lild

zarkos
07-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Nice anim but not so impressive, seen better.

ukyo
07-23-2003, 11:21 PM
madmanmagic

This brings me to my main point. If you are lucky enough to work at Pixar or dream studio of choice. Does what you create on the side become thier property?

i know at ILM they are incouraged to work on thier own proects in THIER frre time. and as long as it doesnt conflict with studio projects they can even do the work on thier projects in studio. and whats even better is they are allowed to keep all rights with the understanding that ILM will be given credit for their facilities and what have you

chudofsinister
07-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Wow that is really really cool. Its hard to fathom a company that really cares about keeping there employees happy in this day and age.

Levitateme
07-24-2003, 04:00 AM
is it just me or does anyone see jack nance from eraser head inthat cg guy? like the look of it all just reminds me of eraserhead.

chudofsinister
07-24-2003, 04:03 AM
Yeah I see a little Jack Nance in there, god rest his soul. Gotta love the Pixies.

BFlex
07-24-2003, 01:05 PM
i've seen the film about three months ago in an animation festival in Taipei, the film is a lot better than the trailer on the website!!!

iocomposer
07-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by flipnap
nice idea.. thought the character animation was a bit stiff, which is a shame cuz it coulda been a really great peice..

hehe. Well, apparently some people think it IS a great piece.

digitalthug
10-17-2003, 03:08 AM
Hey everyone, just letting u all know that i have actually seen the full movie, and my thoughts on it,
WOW!! $@$%! AMAZING :drool: . It was shown by a student in my video/film class that im taking in college. He has the this year's Siggraph dvd and it was on it. First off, Bflex is right. Kinda sad that the trailer gives off a bad impression about the film - it coulda been a lot better. Ne way, I have to say that for a B&W film it is extremely appealing to the eye. Usually i despise B&W just because im a modern graphics freak-I live for eye candy w/ color. And surprisingly there is NO DIALOGUE. But trust me, the cinematography, the actions by the character, and the music communicates the story clearly; dialogue is def not needed. This is NOT your average short film. Ive seen plenty that have no meaningful plot and give off an aura of "hey look at this, i made this short film just to show off that i can make one for the hell of it". This truly is a masterpiece, one of the best animation shorts I have seen. And be surprised for a great ending. ;) Good Job Sam Chen, u definitely deserve the awards u've received. And I'm sure Alberto Giacometti is proud of u :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.