PDA

View Full Version : What kind of technical knowledge is recommended for a lighting job?

sula_nebouxi
06-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I had a classmate who was recently turned down from a job because of lack of technical expertise in the area. He can obviously light very well and build shaders. So, that makes me wonder what kind of technical expertise do companies look for in lighters? Is it knowing how to code in Python? Or how to build a renderman shader from scratch? Any suggestions or insights would be great :shrug:

mr Bob
06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
technical expertise is not always about programming or being able to write shaders. It boils down to the simple fact they went with someone more experienced.

bezzeler2000
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
The short answer is none. If you have a demo reel that displays well done lighting you will get hired as a lighting TD. By you saying that he was a classmate I'm guessing he does not have a reel displaying any recognizable projects/shots. They were probably looking to hire him as an ATD, lighting T.A, or something else junior. Those positions do reqire you to know python or some sort of coding languange. Hope this helps

God bless

sula_nebouxi
06-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the responses :). Since I'm going for a lighting job too. it's good to know that being a lighting TD doesn't absolutely require programming skills...haven't touched code since high school :(. But yeah he hasn't worked in the industry yet so he doesn't have any shots to his credit. But I'm not entirely sure it was an experience thing since the company did actively seek him out for an interview, two in fact.

Knowing that I don't absolutely have to code anything is a relief...I do want to learn some Python down the road though. I'm just not sure what it's used to do.

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2009, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.