PDA

View Full Version : face mapping

KOryH
07-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Is there an easy way to map a texture on to each poly/face on a model?

This has me stumped.

thanks

Facial Deluxe
07-23-2003, 01:12 AM
I don't think there's an automate plug that does this.
What about,if you are working with quads, unwelding all point, flatten them, hit F2 to center all quads, scale them to the same size so that all polys are in the same exact place, and apply an UV to that (those) face.
Dunno if it's clear, dunno if it is doable with your type of mesh, just an idea...

terryford
07-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Facials approach would work but you can do it more easily with "New Quad Poly Map" - Map Tab. You might need to use "UV Rotate" in order to correct the image orientation on some of the quads.

If you're working with Tris or n-gons instead of quads then it's a bit trickier, you could try "Poly Norm UVs" but they'll likley take quite a bit of tweaking (unweld if you get "stuck" UVs, merge after you've got your UVs edited)

Both the commands I mentioned require you to select polys before you run them, they won't do anything if no polys are selected.

Regards,
Terry

Steve Warner
07-23-2003, 02:25 AM
Hmmm. I agree with everyone that the UV thing would be the fastest approach. But if that doesn't work, you can try using Steve Hurley's Diff_Surfs plug-in.

http://www.hurleyworks.com

It will give every poly in your object a unique surface. From there, it would be a matter of setting up the original texture and copying/pasting it to each of the subsequent surfaces. That's tedious, but not overly time consuming. The time consuming part comes when you have to set Automatic Sizing for each poly. Still, it works:

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Temp/polymap.jpg

Hope this helps!

Steve

KOryH
07-23-2003, 03:20 AM
Hey Thanks!

That New Quad Poly map thing works like a charm.

I never knew that was there.
I guess the fact that half the title on the button is not readable dosen't help.

Thanks again for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.