PDA

View Full Version : Any cool tricks for rendering a cloudy day?

Dangertaz
06-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Physical sky has the haze feature but that seems to shift everything towards yellow. I realize this can be counter acted with the reb/blue shift slider but I'm wondering if there was a better way.
When I plug a HDRI into a sphere and assign a surface shader to it I lose too much color saturation. I also like the ease of changing the time of day with the physical sun+sky set up....

Has anyone played with using the Physical Sun and Sky to simulate a cloudy/overcast day?

Many thanks!

ytsejam1976
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi.
If yellow appear, tune the whitepoint on exposure photog, in this case, on a blue washed :)
In your haze sky, for appear the clouds, you get a multiply divide node, with a luminance and a file node with your clouds map, but the clouds map is most important that is on gray scale.

Dangertaz
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM
So if I'm understanding you correctly: increase the haze attribute a bit. Tell the white point to be a bit bluer than normal to counter act the yellowing that occurs when haze is increased. If you want to see some clouds, use a multiply/divide node (5000,5000,5000 output) with an image file of some clouds mapped into the haze channel. The cloud file should be black and white.

I'll try it!

Thanks again

scarface1
06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
i think its still beter to use techniques like mapping light and using light setups with several lights and get the look in comp cuz its more art directed. i said that since i tought you are looking for a very specific look.

ytsejam1976
06-10-2009, 10:12 PM
i think its still beter to use techniques like mapping light and using light setups with several lights and get the look in comp cuz its more art directed. i said that since i tought you are looking for a very specific look.

Oh yes you are wright.
This way is only for the environment reflection, cluds shadows and more. But the clouds in compositing final.

scarface1
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
thanks ytsejam1976,could you put a reference of what you want ,because im practicing lighting shading and comp already and just looking for contexts to practice.

Hamburger
06-11-2009, 04:28 AM
some really nice tricks the way Antony Sakton uses:

http://www.explore-3d.com/Fast.php

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2009, 04:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.