View Full Version : Anyone still with LW 5.6?
07-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Just curious if anyone is still using 5.6
I bought 5.6, and maybe if I feel like going way in debt I might purchase the upgrade. I didn't go MAX, because I didn't like the interface as much, and I was quite impressed with Lightwave at the time 5.0 was new. The biggest thing I don't like is the import support for Lightwave, no .stl or iges, which hurts because I come from a CAD environment, and want to do some engineering renderings.
What are going to be my biggest disadvantages of not moving up to the newest version?
07-23-2003, 01:00 AM
There is a free STL- importer for LW 7.5 (currently in beta, I think, but already available).
Thanks to Michael Wolf from Gadget!
your only problem with this will be that it will most certainly not work with LW 5.6.
07-23-2003, 01:58 AM
Yea Im still using 5.6 along with CAD software..... but I mostly do all the I/O with DXF and .3ds formats between lightwave and Lightscape and Autocad.
Not much has improved with newer versions handle of CAD formats. there are 3rd party solutions,, though I never have had a need for them.
07-23-2003, 04:27 AM
That's cool. I have access to Polytrans so I can handle almost any format.
Why didn't you upgrade your 5.6?
07-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Played with the LW7 demo and found for what I need LW for, there was no need to change..
But im not an animator, nor into games.I am an illustrator, getting , more into Arch and Civil projects rendering. with other apps I allready own that interface and work well with 5.6 like lightscape 3.2, Messiah, worldbuilder. etc etc I can do what I need to get done.
BUT.. Since getting this new more powerful computer, Im looking hard at (and waiting for) LW 8... the clients are getting savy to the "Look" that you can get with HDRI and SSS and this older software just can't cut it anymore.
07-23-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm on 5.5 and will be for a long time. I just learned that the upgrade will cost me $1195.00 when i thought it was gonna cost me $495.00. Very sad news for me. Oh well, so much for the bargain on ebay. :shrug:
07-23-2003, 04:25 PM
ask for a receipt showing the product was purchased prior to 2003. Then you should be entitled to the upgrade.
I bought mine last year, and I was told I should get the upgrade pricing. Up until recently I was using MAX (where I work) but decided to dust off the lightwave investment and have a go at it on my own.
07-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Heya Duderender -
I will give that a go. Thanks.
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.