PDA

View Full Version : Storage solution for 2 machines...

PokerG
06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
My girlfriend and I work from home on projects together, she uses a Mac Pro, I use Windows XP & linux on a BOXX workstation. I want to set up a good way for us to share files & backup easily with redundancy from a RAID of some description.

I work in Maya (both in windows and linux) and think it would be useful for me to have the working directory for all my projects on the storage solution and I am not sure if a standard NAS would allow me to do this but I thought an iSCSI would.

My current favourite is a ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition, probably go mad and get the 6TB version and try and chop it up into 2TB chunks for Windows XP to be able to use it.

If I am using iSCSI on my machine to connect to a part of the disk can my girlfriend do it at the same time, ie multiple concurrent users over iSCSI?

Can you think of a better solution that is in a similar price range? (Something with a faster thoughput would be ideal if we want to get full uncompressed HD footage streaming but is not necessary) (Say around 2K)

Thanks for any help you guys can come up with...

Gary J

BoostAbuse
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
http://www.drobo.com/products/drobopro/index.php

Might be worth a gander at <$2k but you still need to fill the drives yourself, I've got a few friends that have them for offloading video and photos and they say the speed is great (two have the 4-bay Drobo FW800 version and one has the Drobo Pro model).

PokerG
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the post BoostAbuse.

As much as I like the look of the Drobo (and Drobo Pro) it seems to suffer from the same problem I think I have encountered with the ReadyNAS which is that they both are limited to one person using it as a filesystem at once. (Single iSCSI connections)

The problem is I want to work on this external HDD and have my girlfriend have the ability to work from it at the same time sharing the same data. For instance we could then both kick off batch renders from a maya scene at the same time without duplicating the resources.

If there is no 2K solution out there that can do the job, what would people recomend at the next price bracket up? Please bare in mind that although I am -relatively- tech savy, I am no sys admin. An idea of my skill level is that I setup and configured my BOXX to be dual boot with CentOS without too much trouble but have never setup a filesystem like the one I mentioned, and wouldn't know where to begin if I were to create my own linux box from scratch for the job.

Thanks again for any help,

Gary J

ZacD
06-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Scenes aren't meant to be open by 2 people at one time.

BoostAbuse
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Not sure what you mean by limited to a single connection over iSCSI, I've got a 2TB file storage system that I have on my network that's mounted as a network drive across two laptops, a macbook and my desktop and I can access it at any time from any of the machines... I share a 500gb external drive off my laptop at the office that other team members can access and open/copy files from if needed as well.

I'd say that rather than reading off the network storage you use it entirely as a backup/storage solution and find yourself some sort of sync software that will sync your project off the storage drive and onto your local drive. It duplicates data on two machines but it keeps everything in sync and would mimic a production style scenario.

PanzerMKZ
06-25-2009, 08:08 AM
what about some of the storage servers? you can have a rack mount unit with a dual socket setup. could do some of the batch rendering locally on the storage server. rackmountpro.com is some of the stuff I was looking at.

Panzer

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2009, 08:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.