PDA

View Full Version : Animation test

nhan (young) Vo
07-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,

I just finished this animation test. Please, tell me what you think.
At the bottom of the page click on work in progress. Thanks.
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~nvo/main_pages/animation/anim_test_page.htm (Animation test)

Thanks again Guys and Gals,
Young:buttrock:

jellyfish
07-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Your link isn't working correctly. Try this:

Animation Test (http://emsh.calarts.edu/~nvo/main_pages/animation/anim_test_page.htm)

jellyfish

jellyfish
07-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Or, more properly, you should link directly to the file, as in:

Animation Test Movie (http://emsh.calarts.edu/~nvo/main_pages/animation/stu_avi/anim_test.avi)

I think you're on the right track with this piece, however, there are a couple things that stand out to me. Your walk at the very first seems slow and muddy compared with the snappy animation of the rest of it. Also, in a couple places, the balance of the character seemed way off, particularly when he gets hit (he leans so far forward, he should put his foot WAY forward to catch himself, although his arms seem to track correctly), he also seems to be canted forward all the time (maybe this is intentional). When he goes to throw the ball, he leans extremely far back without anything to counteract this lean (ie his opposite leg would have to be almost straight to balance this movement). Just after he throws it, is he supposed to be watching and reacting to it hitting something? Because instead he just comes across as shaking in anger. If he's watching it, I would make him lean forward, perhaps track his head as he watches it go up and then down, and then his "victory" fist would fit in just fine.

My overall impression was good, but it does seem a bit jerky. Can you smooth the keys, just a tad, especially on the extremes?

Hope this helps some.

jellyfish

nhan (young) Vo
07-22-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the response Jellyfish. That does help. I really like what you said about the actions or thought process after the throw. Iím going to rework that part. Youíre also right about him being a little off balance. You have any tips on conveying thought through body language?

Thanks
Young
:thumbsup:

jellyfish
07-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Hmmm... I think the best way would be to act it out yourself. Pay attention especially to the angle of the head and torso -- I think he would lean forward slightly (for this period, he has a reason to, as you unconsciously try to put your eyes closer to something you are watching intently) and his head would move up, then down as the ball arcs towards his target. He would lean more as the ball gets closer to the target, maybe swaying a bit to "steer" the ball. His arms would be back or scrunched up, balancing his lean forward. Maybe he even takes a step or two forward. Since you are exaggerating his movement here, you could try a loony-tune reaction to the direct hit his ball makes, like sort of a "YES!" pose or fists-hitting-down pose, then moving down and up into his victory fist pose.

Of course, to get this across you will probably need more time after the throw than you currently have.

This is what I got from my acting out. Try it yourself, feel the movements you are making. If you have a camcorder, try shooting yourself from that angle a few times and see what you can see.

Note that this really isn't a thinking pose, what he's doing is in reaction to events around him, not anything inside his head. Unless you count the thought "cmon, hit him, hit him, hit him, YES!" :P

Hope this isn't too much detail. This is your animation, make sure it's in your style, not mine. :)

jellyfish

Volker
07-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Hey Young, what's up!!!

How's CalArts treating you? I see you got a Sony internship, that's awsome! Good to know you're still alive.

Anyways...about this animation. I think Jelly has some great stuff to say. I would add a couple more point...

1) His fall from the hit feels off. I believe it's because when his left foot steps forward to catch himself, it doesn't move forward enough. If you stop the anim on the frame where his left leg has just touched ground to catch himself, he would have fallen over. I would scoot it forward at least one foot's length, maybe more.
2) When he jumps around to see who threw the ball, he doesn't really jump, his feet just pick up and his body rotates. You need to move those hips up and then back down again. He seems to really lose his weight there.
3) The throw seems to all happen in fast motion. I like how he picks up the ball quickly, and throws it quickly, but I would let him settle inbetween those two parts. It all just seems so rushed. Let him pick it up and think"Boy I gonna really nail who threw this at me..." and then let him throw it.
4) His reaction afterwards seems too poppy. It seems like you just made a couple of poses, and then tweened to them. Maybe ease in and out a little bit more. And maybe a step backwards when he leans back?
5) His turn and run reaction is pretty good, although maybe a bit fast. The problem here is that he slows down as he is moving screen left, instead of speeding up. Just watch his velocity.

That's it, hope I wasn't too harsh, can't wait to see the next version! Keep in touch and let me know what's going on.
Babyhopper@hotmail.com

Take care,
~Zach

nhan (young) Vo
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Calarts is good. I just got my diploma in the mail. Wierd!

Honesty is never harsh the critique is going to make my stuff better and I want to be better. Thanks for taking the time dude. I'm making some of those changes now. Good stuff.

Are you going to Siggraph?

Later,
Nhan (Young) Vo

Volker
07-23-2003, 08:50 PM
I was going to, but I decided not to just recently. Too bad...

Diploma? Didn't you still have another year? How did your final film do? Upload it!

~Zach

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.