http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/imagestudio/index.shtml

Looks like "mental ray for dummies."

Cool. :buttrock:

elvis75k
07-23-2003, 11:15 AM
hope this is free!! :applause:

lowkey
07-23-2003, 01:03 PM
well, look's like it's just some easy-to-use rendering frontend based on mentalRay!

reminds me of discreet's cleaner somehow.

IMHO, not really a 'must have' killer app! :shrug:

dmeyer
07-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by lowkey

IMHO, not really a 'must have' killer app! :shrug:

Depends on price....

lowkey
07-23-2003, 01:21 PM
ok...and dead-line pressure! :thumbsup:

policarpo
07-23-2003, 05:03 PM
I think this will be a good solution for Product Designers who already know Alias Studio like most of us know paper, but who lack the knowledge and skill to exploit something as dense as Maya 5 to gain access to mental ray.

I can see this product fitting in quite nicely in ID shops who want to raise the bar on the quality of their pre-vis prototypes they show to clients.

But price will be a factor. It can't cost as much as Maya 5 Complete...so I am guessing that it will run $999 or there abouts.

dmeyer
07-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by policarpo

But price will be a factor. It can't cost as much as Maya 5 Complete...so I am guessing that it will run $999 or there abouts.

$999! :eek: I can't see it being anywhere near close to that...at least...not if they want to actually sell it.

policarpo
07-23-2003, 05:18 PM
true...let's hope it is reasonable.

it is mental ray after all that they are selling...with a simplified front end.

we have several seats of Alias Studio where I work, so I can see this being a good thing for our Product Designers who really want to push their product pre-vis to a new level without having to learn Maya 5 to gain mental ray's edge.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.