PDA

View Full Version : eyes problem with 3ddaves lw rig

Perambulator
07-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Problem is as follows:

Convert Skelegons to bones. bones weighted to those eyes only. Works perfectly. Eyes rotate when the bones do.

When eye bones are parented to head bone (parent in place active), eye bones now stop rotating the eyes at all!

Any one got any ideas why this doesn
't work.

Cheers

Rich

sensai2nd
07-22-2003, 07:39 PM
hmm . . . I belive you'll need to create a 3-point constraint (also called a "look-at" constraint) in MB to control the eyes' rotation.

Check Kaydara's helpdesk; they have a PDF on how to set this up . . .

Hope that helps.

Peace.

Perambulator
07-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the rig is broken in Layout even before we get to export to Motionbuilder.

RIch

LFGabel
07-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Rich, are your skelegons and mesh (including eyes) all on one layer? Have you checked to make sure your eye bones still have their weightmap applied to them?

Perambulator
07-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Ifgabel,

yeah, that's the weird thing.

Everything is in same layer.

Nothing has changed, other than the parenting. The weight maps are still assigned, and look okay, but the eyes don't budge a bit.

:annoyed:

3DDave
07-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Make sure you are not using "weight map only" for the bone settings. Instead use an influence setting of 1/64 or lower.

LFGabel
07-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Yes 3DDave, but why would that cause the problems Perambulator is describing, *before* getting to MB?

I have characters that use the "Weight Maps Only" feature and I can still deform the mesh.

Perambulator
07-25-2003, 09:01 AM
Yeah, the influence setting isn't the problem, as far as I can see. I think, for some reason, the weight map info simply gets lost.

Going to investigate more this weekend.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.