PDA

View Full Version : help with compression my short...

Wesball
07-22-2003, 04:41 PM
hi guys & gals,

I've been trying for a while to get my short up to show you guys... but I haven't had any luck compressing it for downloading... its really not my area of expertise.

Anyone have any tips for compressing... especially settings they use alot...

my short is about 8 minutes long, and I also need sound.

Have both quicktime, and DIVx...

any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

devin
07-22-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm not that familiar w/ DIVX but I have worked w/ QT a good bit. I'd recommend using the Sorenson compressor. Use VBR (variable bit-rate) if it's available and see below for general data rate settings. This is directly from Sorenson's site...

"Keep the data rate low. Depending on the target resolution and medium, settings may vary anywhere from 2KBytes to 300KBytes a second. The general guidelines are 28K modem to 1.5KBytes, 56K modem to 3.5KBytes, Dual ISDN to 12 Kbytes, T1 to 22KBytes, CD-ROM to 70KBytes. When first using Sorenson Video, lower the data rate until the picture looks blocky and then raise the data rate up until video blockiness clears. "

Obviously, you can try modifying the size and frame rate. Dropping your audio to 22khz/16-bit/mono will help as well in addition to using an appropriate audio compressor.

For more info, you can check sorenson's site or discreet's cleaner site. Look in the support and FAQ sections.

sorenson (http://www.sorenson.com)
discreet (http://www.discreet.com)

Maybe this will give you a jumping off point for QT at least. It's all a bit of trial and error and varies with each project. Feel free to email/msg. me w/ any questions. I have tons of notes/resources at home that aren't w/ me at the moment.

/devin

Wesball
07-22-2003, 05:09 PM
cool! That was fast!

thankyousir. :)

Wesball
07-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Anyone know what file size I could expect for a 8 min short?

Facial Deluxe
07-22-2003, 05:48 PM
very heavy I'm affraid...

Steve Warner
07-22-2003, 06:23 PM
I've seen some amazing video in Quicktime (mostly on Apple's site), but I've never had any luck compressing my own video with it. It always seems to come down to a choice between massive file size or poor quality video. I'm not blaming the technology. But I think that if you want good video using QT, you need to really work at it.

I personally use Divx because the quality to file size ratio is increadible. I set the defaults to Home Theatre, 1 pass, and crank it up to 4MB/sec and get wonderful results. And I'm constantly amazed at how small the file sizes are.

At work, we can't use Quicktime or Divx because they require special codecs. So we use the Microsoft MPEG-4 v2 codec. I have to say that I'm really impressed with it. We have managed to jam some really intense flight videos into tiny file sizes with minimal quality loss. And since it's a Microsoft codec, we've had no problem playing it back on a wide range of machine configuratioins. If you're looking for a nice compromise between Divx and Quicktime, this might be the choice for you.

Hope this helps!

Steve

BeeVee
07-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Don't forget also that if you render out frames rather than an animation, you can use LightWave to create lots of different animation formats very quickly like so:

Start new new scene with the right number of frames and the same camera size as you originally used (unless you'd like a smaller version of your anim). Turn off anti-aliasing.

In the image editor, load the first frame of your anim and change image type to sequence

in display options (d), set the Camera View Background to Background Image

in Compositing set background to your image sequence.

If you change Layout to the Camera view you can now scrub through your animation.

Now in render options, set the animation type you'd like and hit f10. Each frame will only take a fraction of a second to render because you have no obects, just the backdrops. This will create the animations for you in no time at all and you can experiment with all the different anim types to see which is best for your needs.

B

geoff3dnz
07-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Perhaps you could try TMPGEnc, which is a free MPG encoder - works like a charm, the files can be played on a mac or PC with no additional downloads, and look good with a small file size.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/

:)

marchermann
07-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I used TMPGEnc to offer an MPEG-1 version of my short. It's still larger than with DivX or Xvid. And as far as I know you need to have an AVI first.

About Quicktime: I have never managed to compress my film below 60MB whereas Divx would go as low as about 13MB. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. But that's why I produced an MPEG-1 version.

An easy way to experiment would be to make an uncompressed AVI (can be very large) of the images only, a 48kHz-16bit-stereo WAV from the soundtrack and put them together in VirtualDub, trying out different codecs and settings for compressing video and audio. When I produced the compressed AVI, I had trouble with MP3 compression, so I used CCIT uLaw, mono, instead, which was okay.

Marc

Robsi
07-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi,
if you want really small Quicktime Sorenson files you canīt do this with Quicktime alone. You need something like Sorenson Squeeze or Cleaner5. With that you can use 2pass VBR and you will get about the same file size and quality like Divx.
One advantage of Quicktime is that you can scrub back and forward which is not possible with Divx.

Robert

geoff3dnz
07-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by marcboy
Yeah, I used TMPGEnc to offer an MPEG-1 version of my short. It's still larger than with DivX or Xvid. And as far as I know you need to have an AVI first.
You can do it with tga sequences too. ;)

DreamcastDC
07-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Try Doom9.org, they have great DivX Compression guide.

3DDave
07-23-2003, 11:58 PM
The Quicktime 6 Mpeg 4 compression is pretty good as far as quality and file size.

peterpro
07-24-2003, 12:06 AM
microsofts mpg4 codec comes with 2000 and xp. and downloads with media player when needed (instant compatiablity everywhere)
good if you want compatability and decent file size.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.