PDA

View Full Version : fast water surface

mischi3d
06-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi there,
I know, this is an easy question for most of you: I would like to create a water-surface with small waves (not even waves, just a little movement). I do not want to use fluids, that would take way to long to render. It's just a little architectual visualization with a small lake and some boats in front of it. The water should be animated so that there is something going on all the time. Actually I would like to use an animated bump map for that. What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot,
have a nice Sunday,
Michael from finally sunny Munich

royterr
06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=750391

Skoczylas
06-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi!
try to assign a mia_material and start with its water preset.
have a look at this tutorial: http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007/06/nice-water-with-miamaterial-arch.html

vpont
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi! I've been using maya for 1 year to make product visualizations,but now I would like to give the step forward to more complex things like landscapes. I feel totally lost when talking about water.
If I want to do a ocean, i would use the ocean fluid, but.. ¿what if I want to make a small calm lake with some small waves because a boat? or just a static fountain.

What would be the different methods if this is focused to do one single render or a sequence?

thanks in advance!

InfernalDarkness
11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
For a small lake or pond, if you're doing a still landscape, I would create a simple plane shape and then sculpt in all your ripples, waves, turbulence, etc. This might even work for animation, with a bit of tweaking and nCloth with turbulence.

For a still shot, I wouldn't use displacement mapping, but import the full-poly model from Zbrush or Mubox. I've used this method successfully before, but it is a lot of work. You don't need a ridiculous amount of polys for the detailing, and can simulate a lot more detail with bump maps.

For a fountain, nParticles or RealFlow work well and are very animatable. I've tried sculpting decent waterfall water, but failed miserably. Using nParticles helps me show my clients how the residential custom water features I design will work, and has been a very useful tool.

vpont
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks a lot!

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.