PDA

View Full Version : Cover mountains or tiny steps?

Pandaren117
06-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Just as a personal question, I was wondering how you guys are feeling about "learning."

Let me elaborate.

I've been playing drums for a bit, and of course, the transition from pad to real drum set and more advanced percussion is a big leap, and as I think many people feel the same way for other things when they learn in that sort of journey. So in that sense, making big leaps in learning, almost a transformation.

But after you can hold beats down, follow a band, does it feel like anything after that just feels like add-ons? A fill here, a new piece of equipment or a different way to make different sounds? Other than the occasional major change, does it feel like there aren't as many big leaps, no radical changes? Almost like a slow down? Not that learning new things is bad, but after your foundation is set, anything after that is like good, but bite sized morsels, in relation to art?

Paul McLaughlin
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
<---- check avatar.

Diminishing returns ftw.

Kanga
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I think you hit a demystifying low. The magic has gone because of the understanding you gained. But then go back and listen to buddy rich and the magic is back. When you are really advanced you can listen to the guy from the stones (forget the name) who's drums are so ancient you cant even tune the skins and think: 'how does he get such a great sound when it is so simple'?

:)

mister3d
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I had the same question... so I can tell you, with time your perception changes from "learning" to "expressing". Of course you can polish and perfect, but it becomes easier and easier, as the amount of efforts is much less than at the beginning. In the end you just forget it all and anjoy playing the drums.

Pandaren117
06-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Haha thanks, but I was just using the drum example as a vehicle. I was wondering what it meant for art in general.

mister3d
06-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Haha thanks, but I was just using the drum example as a vehicle. I was wondering what it meant for art in general.

My bad... :blush: so my not very clever explaining.
All my say - is future is Good! :thumbsup:

Couture
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I feel that with 3D, there is initially an exceptionally steep learning curve compared to other visual artistic mediums. In my academic career, this difficulty seemed to turn a lot of students away from 3D because of how difficult it is at first. There is a point in the difficulty that everyone reaches however where things just start to "click," and the curve plateaus out. At this point (from my observations and experiences), you learn much easier, and much faster in many regards, and it becomes far more enjoyable albeit demystified.

matmonkfish
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
hmmm, i think there is always more to learn in relation to learning a many things.

I dont think you can really max out, and think, oh i can do that now. There is always a higher level of expertise, generally, unless you are an absulute master.

Maybe at first as you can make gains that feel big quickly and then start to lose interest when the gains slow down. Maybe this is where the master continues, or their interest constatly evolves, depsite there not being much difference in the day to day playing or whatever.

I spent 6 months in brazil a couple of years ago, and learnt some portuguese. At first it was fun as my language went from nothing to actually being able to have a conversation. But then i plateaud and it got frustrating and it became much more confusing as i went deeper into it. To actually not lose interest at that stage and push through it until its second nature is something different.

Same with piano. You can spend a few months playing it and learn some nice tunes, but to really master it takes decades.

So maybe it is a case that after the foundation is set, as you say, there is a real challenge to persevere becuase thats when it is ore difficult. maybe that is where art takes over, becuase you cant really be artistic with something until you have learnt a foundation.

Like you can learn maya, but you till have to do something with it. it doesnt mean anything to know maya, its what can you do with it. How beautifully can you play piano. thats the difference

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.