PDA

View Full Version : High-Res Rendering - SplitRender threads

Frenchw
07-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

Some threads here are talking about problems with my plugin. :surprised

I don't know if it's a good place for that, but I want to know if the problems are solved with the last release (http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/SplitRender/) .:thumbsup:

And, as more than 6 threads are talking about it, to put all comments here...

Thanks also to any new user who would like to test and comment it. :p

FrenchW
Frenchwave (http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/home.shtml)

BoulYaBase
07-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey FrenchW!

SplitRender-Step 2 still had the same problem as the previous version for me. It crashes LightWave during assembly on very large images (e.g. 7200x10800 pixels). The 100 split scenes rendered fine, as far as I can tell by looking at the pieces.

2.4 GHz P4
1GB of physical memory (PC 800 RDRAM)
4GB swap file
Win XP Pro
LightWave 7.5c

Smaller renders (e.g. 2000x2000) assemble fine -- even with 100 pieces like the larger ones -- but I can render those without SplitRender anyway.

Frenchw
07-23-2003, 06:01 AM
OK BoulYaBase,

As SR-Step2 proceeds, it first opens each one of the scene Files to get true camera setting via LW (Scene files store render Region in percents, have to get pixel info via LW to recompose)...

Just to be sure, is it crashing after opening the 100 Scenes ?
This means when pre-rendering the picture in memory...

I'll make some tests today, if I can.
I'll try (poor C knowledge :surprised) to pre-render picture horizontal Split By Horizontal Split. This could same a lot of memory.

Will also try to double the scene files (using nulls for objects) as reference scenes, not to have to open X * Y large scenes, and so, to gain processing time.

Also, as it was requested on The SplitRender Page @ Flay (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1641) I'll have to add Lowercase conversion in scene names, and to add the possibility to keep the current render region on the scene.

Huge work for me ! As I told you, I'm not C aware at all. so please, be patient.

Will say more after my tests and your answer. (and propably other users experience...

FrenchW

BoulYaBase
07-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Frenchw
Just to be sure, is it crashing after opening the 100 Scenes ?
This means when pre-rendering the picture in memory...

Yes. That's the spot when it crashes every time.

Would it be easier to just prompt the user for the full size dimensions during SR-Step1 so that the scenes don't need to be opened? Perhaps, with that information (which could be stored in the DAT file), the plug-in could mathematically divide up the space according to the number of slices and the overlap setting, then assemble the final image without much help required from LightWave at all.

Thanks for your help and dedication! :applause:

Frenchw
07-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Would it be easier to just prompt the user for the full size dimensions during SR-Step1 so that the scenes don't need to be opened? Perhaps, with that information (which could be stored in the DAT file), the plug-in could mathematically divide up the space according to the number of slices and the overlap setting, then assemble the final image without much help required from LightWave at all.

It's easy to get the size in pixel, but I never managed to divide the way Newtek does... And I have had no advizes on that...

But, if you said that it crashes after scene loading, I'll try to create scene copies with only nulls...

Also, could I have comments of users (like Policarpo) who managed to get the plug'in to work ? :surprised ...Funny, to said that with few problems in fact...

FrenchW

Frenchw
07-24-2003, 06:00 PM
OK, here we are :

;) - Fixed the memory allocation (managed to render 10800 * 7200) :surprised 350 MB tga file......

:p - Managed to speed up scene loading in Step 2 (creating null scenes with only camera information.)

:thumbsdow - Next thing (to keep current render region if any) will wait a bit more....

Expect a release before this week-end... (time to test and update the help file...)

FrenchW

BoulYaBase
07-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Whoo hoo!
Looking forward to the new update.
:beer:

Frenchw
07-25-2003, 10:08 AM
OK, program updated to version 1.1A

http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/SplitRender/

V1.1A : (July, 25 2003)

- Better memory allocation. No more crashes with frames bigger than 10k * 10k pixels.
- Creation of a second set of scenes named : "R" followed by the original scene name to speed up loading time in step2

FrenchW

DarkLight
07-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I just downloaded and tried the latest version and i'm getting the error "Error opening one of the rendered picture".

I opened the menithing/radiosity_things scene and tried 3 x 3 segments on 640x480 resolution.

Frenchw
07-25-2003, 02:45 PM
OK, are scenes rendered and placed in the same directory than de .DAT file ?
You must have 9 tga files to run step 2, but even if some are missing, you must have a resulting picture...
FrenchW

BoulYaBase
07-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Works great! I'm now able to assemble 24"x36" posters @ 300dpi for printing.

The new Step2 scene loading is very speedy. Nicely done.

Many thanks, FrenchW!
:thumbsup:

fourd
07-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Excellent news BYB...:thumbsup:

CourtJester
07-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Anybody know whether this plugin would be compatible with X-DOF?

The reason I ask is because X-DOF has to render in one segment, which causes trouble with print-res renders and limited region tests. If this uses limited region, then X-DOF won't like it.

If it manipulates the camera instead, then I'd love to know how it is compensating for perspective effects!

Frenchw
07-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by CourtJester
Anybody know whether this plugin would be compatible with X-DOF?

The reason I ask is because X-DOF has to render in one segment, which causes trouble with print-res renders and limited region tests. If this uses limited region, then X-DOF won't like it.

If it manipulates the camera instead, then I'd love to know how it is compensating for perspective effects!

Never managed to compensate Persp. effect. Have tried this at first attemp... No way...
So SR uses RenderRegion and eventually segments if you scene is create like this.
SR does not modify memory segments saved with your scene, so if you created your scene with memory segments (ouchhhh), you can use SR and X-Dof...
Will make some tries using digital cofusion for see...

don't forget to save your scene BEFORE running step one...

- For other, thanks for you replies, please, don't forget to post (or send me by mail) pictures created with SplitRender for the gallery. And, eventually, make a donnation if you want and if you use SplitRender for commercial Work... (link on SplitRender main Page)...

FrenchW

Frenchw
07-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by BoulYaBase
Works great! I'm now able to assemble 24"x36" posters @ 300dpi for printing.

The new Step2 scene loading is very speedy. Nicely done.

Many thanks, FrenchW!
:thumbsup:

When your tries were crashing, but if you kept rendered pics and want to create finally the final images, simply follow those steps :

- open or print the original "YourScene.DAT"
- delete in the directory you previously told step1 (the one in you .DAT) all the files except the rendered tgas
- open the original scene final (the one you rendered)
- run Step1 the same way you did (read the .DAT file for that)
- run Step2 directly now, it should find scene copies, new "R"Scene files and renderer output and should compose correctly.

FrenchW

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.