PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 8 features - hypervoxels?

peterpro
07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Anyone know if they are going to update hypervoxels in lw8?

I would love to see some sort of wisp feature.

say you have a blob hypervoxel. 2 points
and you seperate them.. .at some point they will turn back into seperate balls of hyperwhatever you set it to.
like metaballs. spread them far enough, you get balls - i dont think there is currently alot of control over that attraction with hypervoxels.. so here is an idea about that.

Things like wispy clouds are complicated to(animated with wisps that is) To make wisps come out of say a cloud would require seperations of masses of particles alot smaller than the main mass of hypervoxels portraying the cloud

The problem is that if not done exactly right this attempt at wisps always looks like little points drifting away from the big mass instead of nice decaying wisps.

It would be nice if there was some setting that created wisps that traveled away from a mass, and didn't turn into blobs of equal size. (automatically without having to setup multiple particle systems)
no random size helps very little with that (but thank god for that feature) I believe there isn't a control size based on distance a hypervoxel has traveled away from it's mass. (it would be nice to be able to set this)

Basically the feature i'm looking for in hypervoxels 4 would best be described as a 3d version of smear in photoshop for voxels. Being able to grab a section of a hypervoxel and have that area wisp out like a smear. Perhaps a special point group that smears wisps out of a main hypervoxel group.

imagine a hyervoxel mass of a couple of points making a cloud.

then imagine either being able to tell that mass to emmit wisps.
or to run another particle stream into creating vortexes and the like through the mass.

I'm in hawaii right now, and you get these really intersting mixing clouds off the volcanic ridges, and the top layer vortexes as the bottom layer spins up.. really amazing looking clouds.

Hypervoxel clouds are very static, it's not easy to animate them blending into each other or to have tendrils and wisps of hypervoxel billow out.

I mean alot of this is already possible, but it's very time consuming and requires alot of eacxting technique currently.

Steamer 2 had better wisping in my opion than hypervoxels does now.

I know hypervoxels is a total rewrite over steamer 2.
I dont know much about the exact mechanics of it except that
as particles sytems get more advanced..
hypervoxels would benefit from some sort of better control over
"wisping" or blending.
gotta get rid of those little balls that are left all on thier own when some stray particles leave the group or don't merge because they are from a differnt particle group. ect ect.

wisps would be a good name for it, becuase it's the most lacking thing with hypervoxels right now.
=)

dont get me wrong I love hypervoxels and you can do the most amazing things with them.. I've used them for lots of stuff, clouds, water, tears, vapor trails, exaust, fire, =)

Wisps.. that would be an amazing thing for hypervoxels. a wisping function of some sort.

sorry for not being technical about the description of my feature wish.

pete

aurora
07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
I need two selections. I have no problems with HV's till I try to do real accurate physical sims. Then I wish I could easily write scripts to control the particle behavior. But I would love to see a whispy type option or better yet something like Maya's PaintEffects. Now that is truely cool!

Jimzip
07-22-2003, 02:46 PM
You want a new HyperVoxels system?
Maybe you'll get your wish.. :rolleyes:

Personally, I've not got to the stage where they are really hard to use.. I understand what you mean. And I think also that it would be nice to have a system that isn't always spheres, but other shapes as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jimzip :D

ChrisS
07-22-2003, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see Steamer come back.
Certainly not to replace HyperVoxels, but in addition to.
Just seemed to work better for some things.

vbk!!!
07-22-2003, 03:10 PM
i'm agree with you ChrisS about the Steamer.
HV could be use with the surface editor to have good volumetric texture in a complex shape. it could be useful to make something like ice-cube ( with many volumetric noise inside ) for example.

HowardM
07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
I voted no, because they arent hard to use...but they do need ALOT more types of shaders for them...and more controls, and of course everything should use an envelope and ALL the same Gradients!!!

aurora
07-22-2003, 05:34 PM
HowardM you just hit on the biggest thing on my wish list, envelopes for EVERYTHING!! Add to that the ability to access everything with LScript (cough, like MEL, cough). Imagine the things you could do with HV's with you could have this power. Better yet is there anything you could not do? Since they have hinted at a change to the particle system in LW8 my fingers are crossed!

Facial Deluxe
07-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Agree agree :)

I would also like emiters to be able to generate objects (instances), instead of linking obects to particles, would be less heavy (and long).

Mike Pauza
07-22-2003, 05:44 PM
I'd like to have HV refraction...stuff like air bubbles in water, heat ripples, force fields, bullet time effects, etc. would be kinda cool.

-Mike

ital
07-22-2003, 06:12 PM
I like the old Steamer, a little slow, but we can do easily what we want!
Since hypervoxel2 start, i stop volumetric light simulation,
Why changing what is good?
Ital

3DDave
07-22-2003, 06:17 PM
I was doing a water flow effect but I couldn't get the renders out of Lightwave without random glitches. I was using all the bells and whistles with transparency, relfection and refraction.

Shade01
07-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Hypervoxels are easy to use, but the really slow rendering times makes me want to use them as little as possible. When I do use them, I find myself sacrificing quality for speed.

carnera
07-22-2003, 09:21 PM
well...we used hypervoxels in our forthcoming cinematic for a pc-game.
you can achieve good looking results....but as always quality results in longer rendering time....and i mean "long". in one of the cuts i had 1.5 h / frame....now, thats what i call loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnggg....

hope to see some render-engine speed optimizations in 8

Shade01
07-22-2003, 09:32 PM
but as always quality results in longer rendering time....and i mean "long".

Exactly. I set up a hypervoxel cloud scene once, left my machine on for 2 days straight, and came back to 18 rendered frames :surprised

Facial Deluxe
07-22-2003, 10:02 PM
I rarely use hv in volume mode.
When I need a good smoke I work with hv sprites, quite fast and easy to setup. If I need I duplicate several layers in AE to complete the effect.

VitoVonAntwon
07-23-2003, 06:02 AM
I agree, Render out a loop, and then paste it in as a composite.

Cuts down your renders to nil. Of course you still have to render the loop out.

VitoVonAntwon

milqman
07-23-2003, 06:10 AM
there wont be significant changes in Lw8 to the render engine... read the Newtek boards.
:hmm:

peterpro
07-23-2003, 10:12 PM
milqman
does that mean no changes to hypervoxels?

yog
07-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Peterpro.

Lee Stranaham (Newtek spokesman) didn't say anything about hypervoxels.
Just "no significant changes to the renderer", or to Modeler come to that :shrug:

VitoVonAntwon
07-24-2003, 01:17 AM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=8266

LightWave[8] includes
- Multiple undo / redo in layout, as well as a number of other general workflow enhancements
- Enhanced IK / FK system
- Rigid body dynamics
- New soft body dynamics tools
- New particle system tools
- Auto Character Setup tools
- New character setup workflow that avoids going back and forth between modeler and layout
- Simplified render output workflow
- Game exporters
- Animatible UV coords
- Scene auto saving

Mike RB
07-24-2003, 03:42 AM
About Hypervoxels:

Gregory Duquesne:

Gregory Duquesne is an industry expert in the areas of surface shading and volumetric rendering. With a background in games development as the Art Director for the award winning French title, "L'Amerzone," Gregory brings a unique mix to the team as an engineer. His pioneering work in volumetric rendering resulted in the pyroclastic and organic rendering tool, HyperVoxels™. Duquesne was also responsible for the LightWave surface editor as well as several other rendering tools in LightWave 3D. In 2001 Duquesne left the LightWave development team to travel the world with his wife. Upon their return Gregory joined forces with Luxology.

That's from Lux's site. So If there is an update at Newtek for HV's in LightWave it's looking like its without Mr. Duquesne.

Mike

peterpro
07-24-2003, 06:30 AM
nice find mike!!

well crossing fingers about hypervoxels. !! =)

Jimzip
07-24-2003, 08:56 AM
I never got to use steamer.. :sad:
It seems like ever day is longer since Lightwave 8 was announced.. ;)
I am looking forward to the fourth quarter soooooo much..

Jimzip :D

peterpro
07-30-2003, 12:09 AM
anyone at siggraph find out about hypervoxels and lightwave 8?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.