PDA

View Full Version : Fire Wire renderred with HDRi and Final Render

Toeng.com
05-09-2002, 04:10 PM
I just want to share my latest work :)
it's my first rather successful work after I installed final render a few days ago.

I also have a question, when I turn the opacity down from the material parameter, why does the render take a hell lot of time??? The blue caps should have been transparent :(

Any tips???

here's the pic :

Toeng.com
05-10-2002, 03:16 AM
Oh ... I used Max to make this and renderred it using Cebas Final Render. I made this model for an entry of the contest held by www.firewiredesign.co.uk and this is my first time designing a magazine cover. I had to see my Computer Arts magazine cover to come up with the composition :) ... so if you see some similarities, don't be alarmed ...

If you didn't get to see the link, here it is: FireWireDesign Mag (http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~wijoyo/temp/fwcontest.jpg)

Please let me know what you think ... and any tips to improve. Thank you.

tpe
05-10-2002, 06:37 AM
Toeng.comery nice but i think you should reduce the specularity and reflection mapping, the reflections on the chrome are a little much and the specularity on the plastic, perhaps you could use a map for the specularity so as it shows more where the plastic is not worn? or maybe you could ut it through a frenzel effect so as it changes withthe angle of incidence? and DOF is great for small objects so it would probably add a lot.

tpe

Toeng.com
05-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Thank you tpe ... I will fix those two things and post the updated version very soon :)

bealobo
05-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Hi!
I suggest you to dirty up a bit the wire if it is going to be grey, it will look more realistic.
Great job!

hypercube
05-10-2002, 09:38 PM
looking cool so far! Everyone's commented on the surfacing, DOF, etc. you're already very well on the way there, just a couple things I noticed model-wise.

Is this based on a real cable you have? Firewire connectors usually have a distinct shape, the end of this looks more like USB perhaps? Also the grooves on the sides seem to extend past the rolled edge of the blue piece..I know plugs now have some very funky molded shapes, but that seems impossible or stands out as CG.

Also don't forget once the casing is translucent, you gotta have the wires and little bits inside :)

Anyway sorry for the ramble, keep up the good work and look forward to seeing the final! :wip:

diazgl
05-11-2002, 11:16 AM
hmm, nice. I'd lower the height of the FIREWIRE letters, and perhaps make em smoother on the edges, make it appear like soft plastic letters.

ToddD
05-13-2002, 02:17 AM
Hey Toeng, looks pretty good, I agree the materials need adjusting. I don't see why you would need HDR or Final render to produce that image. Only reason I say that is you said the render took a hell of a lot of time. Everything I see could have been achieved with max's scanline, probably in a fraction of the time. With proper lighting, and a good reflection map that scene could be produced with the scanline. How long did it take to render?

Toeng.com
05-13-2002, 04:19 AM
I just give it some finishing touch, playing with sub surface scattering, I just played with a lot of tools :)
I renderred this one for nearly 20 hours ... I don't know what I did wrong, but hey, it's an experiment for me.
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~wijoyo/temp/firewire2.jpg

Thanks for the comments ppl ... I appreciate it.

ToddD
05-13-2002, 05:57 AM
20 hours? That's insane, unless there's something I'm missing, I'll stick to my last post. I'm not saying it doesn't look very good, I'm just saying I don't see anything about the render that warrants a 20 hour render. It's not like you have caustics or SSS, 20 hours is just too long IMO.

Toeng.com
05-13-2002, 07:26 AM
I know ... as I recall I only used mesh smooth with 3 interations (render value), sub surface scattering for the blue cables and caps ... and HDRi maps ... that's all ... weird :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.