PDA

View Full Version : Frequently Asked Questions

Pages : [1] 2

salmonmoose
06-04-2009, 04:30 AM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Challenge-Specific

Q: Do I need a paid CGSociety membership?

A: Not at all! Our CGChallenges are open to all CGTalkers. If you don't already have a free account, get one here (http://www.cgsociety.org/join/).

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?

A: Yes, teams can submit to the video category. See also the Looking For Group (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=236&t=609378) thread.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?

A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?

A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?

A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry") or the CGChallenge Uploader.

Q: How I can get out of this challenge?

A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

Technical

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?

A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?

A: We want to train people to create artwork for print - suddenly detailed textures and meshes are important in the creation of your art! We also like encouraging people to submit their art for Ballistic Publishing books, like EXPOSÉ.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: That's cool, just make it big enough to fill a full page in an A4-sized book. Or make it bigger, even!

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all together later?

A: Yes. This is how professionals work -- you should use every tool and technique availble in the best way possible.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?

A: Yes -- you are free to use any software you like.

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?

A: Yes. You should always use every tool that is apropriate in the best way possible.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?

A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

Spyndel
06-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi all! Thanks for the great new challenge.

Just FYI, the entry confirmation email repeats the free XSI 6.5 offer from the Uplift challenge, and links to an XSI page that still says "Uplift" challenge. Im not sure if this is erroneous or not, but I cant find any mention of it in the Secret Agent challenge pages.

Staszek
06-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Can i use 'Bond' name/title in entry ? Can i make 3d actor identical to actor who was the Bond ? Young Connery for example ? Of course all story im going to make new ect.. In general idea is to make Bond in near future ( for next 20 years) who is is looking like young Sean Connery - is it possible to use those brands ?

finchy
06-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi just wondered if we could use different styles of digital art? e.g 2d painted character on 3d background or vice versa.

Cheers.

Kirt
06-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Staszek - It's never a good idea to use copyrighted material in a challenge. Do something original please.

finchy - Yes.

Staszek
06-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks,

i will:)

Smirtouille
06-13-2009, 10:41 AM
"Other than the rights assigned in the preceding clauses entrants retain copyright of all entered materials and are free to use said materials for personal promotions."

Does it mean I can show my WIP on other websites? I'm not sure.

GonzaloGolpe
06-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi and one question,

I would like to create a comic style image, with something like frames, dialogs, and so on. One single page.

Can I do this?

Regards!

kivi
06-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi,
is it ok if an animation studio lets me to use their software/machines for my work?

PuiArt
06-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Can i use 'Bond' name/title in entry ? Can i make 3d actor identical to actor who was the Bond ? Young Connery for example ? Of course all story im going to make new ect.. In general idea is to make Bond in near future ( for next 20 years) who is is looking like young Sean Connery - is it possible to use those brands ?

hiya Staszek:: perhaps what you meant by was, you want to use the type of character attributes that Sean Connery has when he was bond? sophisticated, young, a smile that is irresistible, a spy facial chrome, and not to mention the hairy chest just to name a few, hehe. if you wish to garnish your piece with Sean Connery's attributes that you envisions that would fit your piece generiously, then i'll say, go for it ;). as long as your piece fits withing the theme and your originality, i dont see why not. Kirt is just out right straight with his answers like that and remember " Do something original please." =)

"Other than the rights assigned in the preceding clauses entrants retain copyright of all entered materials and are free to use said materials for personal promotions."

Does it mean I can show my WIP on other websites? I'm not sure.

Smirtouille:: well, from what i understand after reading the rule list, as long as your image publication( which usually means your final image) either notify the Ballistic publishing 1 week b4 you publish it in any media as stated on the rules that by entering this challenge, Ballistic Publishing reserves the right to be the first publisher of your final artwork. so with that said, i am sure as long as you don't submit your final image to a print center or other book entries without the consent of Ballistic Publishing first, anything else that you do is fair game.

so yes, i am fairly sure you can post your wip progress on more than one single location for the purpose of personal promotion ;)

I would like to create a comic style image, with something like frames, dialogs, and so on. One single page.

Can I do this?

Golpe::yes, whatever lights up your inspiration and persperation, go for it, because your process would fit perfectly within many of the categories that this challenege has, one would be Art Direction. As long as it is orginal, fits in the given brief, giving your best and take pride in your work, its all game, go go go!

i will have to say that your art direction will be few as among the many entries will be more illustration type vs frame and dialog type on the image entry category, its not always the best idea to stray away from the herd, but dont let that stop ya from becoming the black sheep of the family ;).

Hi,
is it ok if an animation studio lets me to use their software/machines for my work?

kivi::i think it is all up to the end result, as long as you are able to produce a work that is orginal, it doesn't how you get the process done as long as you post your WIP on your wip thread; be it working on the project at school, home, or work(not sure if its a good idea to work on other projects while your needed to work on the company's project tho) go go go! :thumbsup:

ahmedadel0077
06-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now available in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

does this apply on all the other models ?! , lets say buildings ?!
or should i create everything from scratch ?!

MonteCristo-3DT
06-13-2009, 11:33 PM
How exactly does a new user go about joining this competition?

I can't seem to post a thread in the correct forum.

Thanks.

Spyndel
06-13-2009, 11:38 PM
How exactly does a new user go about joining this competition?

I can't seem to post a thread in the correct forum.

Thanks.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/enter.php

MonteCristo-3DT
06-13-2009, 11:45 PM
D'oh!

Somehow in registering etc, I kinda missed that it was auto-entering me. Snazzy!
Thanks for the help.

Asafina
06-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Hiiiiiii..

i want to use an actor, and sound designer.
But i'll do all the work including editing, compositing, modeling and texturing.

Can i enter the video individuals category?
Or is it considered as a team?

Another question:
Can i use language other than english (with english subtitle of course)?

Thanks alot in advance. =)

lobachevscki
06-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi pals, thanks for the new challenge.

I want to make a humourus image, based on some ideas I have for a personal work, just adapting then to the theme. The instructions seems to ask for something more "serious" instead of funny, does that interpretation of the instructions is right?, or doesn't matter the mood of the image?.

Thanks in advance.

paperclip
06-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Julian, you can pick anything you want, some people even have humour as a theme riding through pretty much all their challenge works! (Have you seen Michael Dashow's pieces?) Don't worry, you won't be penalized for making the judges chuckle.

lioration
06-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Hello Anton
so glad join this creative journey once again. I'm sure everybody is gaining a lot of just following the wip of so many talented people around.
just wanted to ask, as a lesson of the steam punk challenge- is there a way to put a count- down clock so people will know how much time is left till deadline, with out having the trouble with the time zone issue.
besides, it is much more motivating when you have the send falling trough the sand-glass, in front of your eyes.
also- what about the problems with the final image uploading system? was that taken care of?
Lior

khendar
06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Hello Anton
just wanted to ask, as a lesson of the steam punk challenge- is there a way to put a count- down clock so people will know how much time is left till deadline, with out having the trouble with the time zone issue.
besides, it is much more motivating when you have the send falling trough the sand-glass, in front of your eyes.

Countdown clock is right here: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php

lioration
06-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Countdown clock is right here: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php

sorry, I missed this spot.
thanks

BldRnr
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Can you please clarify what you deem as sculpture from modeling catagories ?

I see sculpture as "live" works using traditional methods eg: chavant clay, sculpty etc.

Where as using ZBrush or Mudbox can be deemed as either digital sculpting or modeling.

AtsEst
06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi, my question would be:

What is the opinion towards the usage of realtime rendering?
I'd like to use Cryengine2.

/Ats

walrus
06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
The site is called CG Society, so you are generally expected to use the CG versions of sculpture, not natural media, for your 3D entry.

Theresa - Darn, you got there before I could make a sarcastic comment. Thanks for the nod, though!

BldRnr
06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
So what is the difference? Digital modeling is just that. Or are we now saying because you use ZBrush or Mudbox it is somehow different than Maya, Max ?

I think the title is redundant. That is why I am asking.

When does modeling stop becoming a model but is now considered a scuplture?

Swizzle
06-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Just FYI, the entry confirmation email repeats the free XSI 6.5 offer from the Uplift challenge, and links to an XSI page that still says "Uplift" challenge. Im not sure if this is erroneous or not, but I cant find any mention of it in the Secret Agent challenge pages.I just noticed that when I went back and read the confirmation email. There isn't a page for the current challenge, so is this offer no longer valid/included in the confirmation email as a mistake?

khendar
06-15-2009, 03:26 AM
I just noticed that when I went back and read the confirmation email. There isn't a page for the current challenge, so is this offer no longer valid/included in the confirmation email as a mistake?

You're right. There's no XSI offer this time around. That's an unfortunate carry over from the old challenges. I'll go fix it.

Asafina
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, i really need someone to answer my questions so i can start.

i want to use an actor, and sound designer.
But i'll do all the work including editing, compositing, modeling and texturing.

Can i enter the video individuals category?
Or is it considered as a team?

Another question:
Can i use language other than english (with english subtitle of course)?

Thanks alot in advance. =)

Sorry for the trouble.

DarwinsMishap
06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Edit-Figured it out, thank you.

Kirt
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, i really need someone to answer my questions so i can start.
Question #1:
team - a number of persons (two or more) associated together in work or activity.
individual - of, relating to, or distinctively associated with one person.

Question #2:
Yes, that would be fine.

Asafina
06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Of course i know that.

i remember i read in the last challenge that "Team" is meant for people who just work in CG elements.
Someone answered that when a person asked if it's ok to ask a friend to make music for him.
That's why i'm a bit cofused.

thnx anyway

Kirt
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
If your "team" is OK with you submitting work for a contest where you would possibly receive prizes and claim everything as an "individual" then I suppose there's not much we could do about that. Your call.

Asafina
06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Nope it's not ok. Just thought i must have two or more people working with CG elements to be called a team in these challenges.
I'll enter as a team anyway as there are more guys will join me.

Thnx Kirt.

andreasolsen
06-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Might be an off-topic question, but might fit in here:

I see everyone have there latest update as a thumbnail, just beside there topic,
how do i get this?

Cheers

khendar
06-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Might be an off-topic question, but might fit in here:

I see everyone have there latest update as a thumbnail, just beside there topic,
how do i get this?

Cheers

You have to submit your updates through the Submit Entry page: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php

khendar
06-16-2009, 01:15 AM
sorry, I missed this spot.
thanks

Just for the record, it was in the same place for the last challenge as well.

arLutiK
06-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Hi

I need a bit of music for one scene of my video (maybe two) I have no musical talent

Can I use part of copyright music if I credit it?

Kirt
06-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Hi

I need a bit of music for one scene of my video (maybe two) I have no musical talent

I don't think CGSociety or specifically the CGChallenge is a recognized venue for the disregard of copyright law. Check the Collab forum for posts by musicians willing to help with your music needs. Or find some music that is usable without having to hire a lawyer.

cpt-elektro
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
hi,

is it my computer or is the "view all entries" -site (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/entries.php) not working? I just get the numbers of challengers and entries, but not any pictures.

thx e

Kirt
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
No it's not just you. The link is incorrect on the challenge page. Use the link that is at the top of this forum (which works properly)

----------------for Admin--------------------------
Good link - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/view_entries.php

Bad link - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/entries.php

cpt-elektro
06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
ahh....thanks!

mcscher
06-16-2009, 04:19 PM
However, failure to correctly credit all inspirations, third party works, team members, actors, etc will result in automatic disqualification.

I have some questions to this statement.

Q1: What is concidered to be a correct credit of inspiration?

Lets say I have found numerous pictures over the internet that have inspired me.

Q2: How should I credit the unknown copyright holders?
Q3: Would a link to the website I found the picture on be enough credit?

I'm greatly inspired by movies and their styles (style of clothing, type of lighting/mood, story)

Q4: Is it enough to name the movie titles or should I name the director, producer, main actors and maybe even post a timecode of the movie scene that inspired me?

would be great to get an answer and with it be on the safe side. thanks

Kirt
06-16-2009, 06:39 PM
For unknown copyright holders, I find the easiest way to credit your inspirations is to upload the reference material to your challenge page. Screen shots labeled as reference images should be adequate to meet the requirement. If the information is known, then put the info in a post (preferably a post that is includes an image submission so it appears on your challenge page). Link to website is good also.

mcscher
06-16-2009, 08:19 PM
thanks for straighten that up Kirt :)

ZacD
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Edit. redundant question.

DarwinsMishap
06-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I am not sure if this is redundant, but I am asking in any event.

I noticed (finally) in the email received when I entered into this challenge that there was an offer of Softimage's XSI Essentials 6.5 for those that entered.

Has anyone noticed the link for the downloaded program takes one back to CGSociety Challenge XXII Uplift Universe - Alien Relations page?

Barrios

khendar
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I am not sure if this is redundant, but I am asking in any event.

I noticed (finally) in the email received when I entered into this challenge that there was an offer of Softimage's XSI Essentials 6.5 for those that entered.

Has anyone noticed the link for the downloaded program takes one back to CGSociety Challenge XXII Uplift Universe - Alien Relations page?

Barrios

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5924540&postcount=26

Please read the thread before posting questions. Chances are its been asked before.

goofara
06-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi, I wanted to ask, am I allowed to work on more than one different ideas, post WIPs for them even possibly finish them both and then decide which to upload as a final image?
Thanx

khendar
06-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi, I wanted to ask, am I allowed to work on more than one different ideas, post WIPs for them even possibly finish them both and then decide which to upload as a final image?
Thanx

If you think you have the time to work on two different ideas and still get them finished then you can do what you want. But you are only allowed to have one entry thread.

robo3687
06-17-2009, 01:59 AM
i have a quick question

i have this idea for my entry to have it as 2 comic book covers, one from the first issue and one from the last issue of a series about my agent. Is it acceptable to have them both in a single image side by side, or is that like having 2 entries?

khendar
06-17-2009, 02:05 AM
i have a quick question

i have this idea for my entry to have it as 2 comic book covers, one from the first issue and one from the last issue of a series about my agent. Is it acceptable to have them both in a single image side by side, or is that like having 2 entries?

That sounds fine to me.

robo3687
06-17-2009, 02:27 AM
cool thanks....now i can start on some compositions/blocking out etc

i'm basically doing this cos I was torn between 2 ideas and the 2 covers concept worked to allow me to have both ideas...lol

yahyaehsan
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Delete it i got the answers

nerveink
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
hi.

i was reading thru the faq and some of the other pages and couldnt seem to find answers to these questions.

are there any specific guidelines i have to follow when im designing this secret agent character? does he/ she have to have some sort of special tuxedo with gadgets or something like that?
how much creative freedom do i have on this??

does it matter if I include other assets to the final image like lets say a motorcycle or some sort of mini helper bot or somethin??

i was thinking of having my character on a detailed base with some objects on it, like maybe a broken pillar or maybe some skulls or something. can i do that??

sorry for my english and sorry if these questions have been answered already!

Kirt
06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
nerveink - You might want to take a look at other entries that are being worked on. All of your questions would be answered by example.

destruct007
06-19-2009, 12:00 AM
individual - of, relating to, or distinctively associated with one person.

I'm unclear on how much has to be done alone. I want to do the individual video but it's nay impossible to shoot something interesting alone. I mean some has to hold the camera and someone has to be in front of it... So to clarify is it all CG work done alone if you want to be in the individual category?

EDIT:
I'll probably just do a small group entry...

Kirt
06-19-2009, 12:11 AM
As the person who is entering the challenge it is up to you to determine if your entry is to be an individual or team effort. If you choose to get assistance from other people during the time you are working on your submission then they should be made aware that you have decided to enter the competition as an individual or team and what amount of prize split you are willing to part with (in the event that you win the challenge).

We can't make that decision for you. Are you a team or an individual? If you don't know, maybe you shouldn't enter until you can figure it out. :shrug:

If it were me and I had a friend helping then I'd enter as a team and make arrangements for a division of prizes if we won. But that's me.

MonteCristo-3DT
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi. I want to update my thread, and actually generate a thumbnail on it so people bother to look at it, but after several days of having 30+ posts I see I am not able to add attachments yet. Am I missing something. I have already contacted cgsociety, but have recieved no reply. I'd really like to get immersed in this comp, but not having attachments is a bit of a back step.

Cheers.

khendar
06-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi. I want to update my thread, and actually generate a thumbnail on it so people bother to look at it, but after several days of having 30+ posts I see I am not able to add attachments yet. Am I missing something. I have already contacted cgsociety, but have recieved no reply. I'd really like to get immersed in this comp, but not having attachments is a bit of a back step.

Cheers.

You're not submitting images through the Submit Entry page:

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php

MonteCristo-3DT
06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Ahhh... Very Cool.

Didn't realise that we could do that for stages too. Thanks for the help.

Spongeali
06-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Im not sure how to go about uploading my WIP images, is this in the submit entry section? I thought this was for my final entry but I also submit final image.

FedericoBoraso
06-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi, i have a dude, in my idea for the 2d art theres a dead body, its ok the blood in the image? or the body of someone??

Kirt
06-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi, i have a dude, in my idea for the 2d art theres a dead body, its ok the blood in the image? or the body of someone??
Yes, that's OK.

(Before someone asks, we will also accept puppies, unicorns, sunflowers, etc.) :D

khendar
06-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Im not sure how to go about uploading my WIP images, is this in the submit entry section? I thought this was for my final entry but I also submit final image.

Submit Entry is for submitting WIP images:

Upload Final Image is for uploading your final image:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/final_image.php

tuovni
06-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Sorry, my doubt is if I have to do a picture of one of the histories, or can I think another one of mine?

Kaelion
06-21-2009, 05:32 PM
"Show us cunning devices, subtle disguises, and really cool cars."

I realize that the story is the most important judging criteria but will my chances of winning hurt if I am missing a cool car? Hopefully I have the first two elements in my image.

Thanks

khendar
06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
"Show us cunning devices, subtle disguises, and really cool cars."

I realize that the story is the most important judging criteria but will my chances of winning hurt if I am missing a cool car? Hopefully I have the first two elements in my image.

Thanks

Not at all. These are just suggestions.

khendar
06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Sorry, my doubt is if I have to do a picture of one of the histories, or can I think another one of mine?

We'd prefer that you come up with something of your own.

Isk-86
06-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Can I follow a visual style (Nihei's mangas) for the characters and environments of my animation??? everything would be original, but following nihei's cyberpunk style

FalyneVarger
06-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi

If you still have a need for some music, I have a friend that might be willing to compose some for you.
http://kitsuneko-xenon.deviantart.com/
You can contact him through that site, although I'm not going to guarantee he'll help.

SahaneNik
06-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I've already posted a pre-viz image but now i'm planning for changing my concept.

Is it valid to start with new concept in the same thread?

my current concept is a lot western and i would like to give it more indian look.

thanks in advance,

Nikhil :)

khendar
06-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I've already posted a pre-viz image but now i'm planning for changing my concept.

Is it valid to start with new concept in the same thread?

my current concept is a lot western and i would like to give it more indian look.

thanks in advance,

Nikhil :)

Of course. You can change your concept as many times as you like.

A3DLover
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
On the matter of pre-fab models, you said it would be okay to use poser/daz content.
Does that include the various figure models available like Victoria4, Aiko/Xin, Micheal4?

Also does crediting the work of other artists working on daz/poser content such as clothes, props,hair,texture,mapping and morph developers should recieve credit to their names for their work?

If the answer is "yes" to all of the above, i'm in.
If the answer is "no" to any of these, i'm in anyway!

Kirt
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I can't help but think that you're so close to answering your own question that I'm surprised it didn't connect when you typed that out. Let me help.

1. Are the various figure models available (like Victoria4, Aiko/Xin, Micheal4) Poser/Daz content?

2. Are the Daz/Poser content such as clothes, props, hair, texture, mapping and morph developers created by you or someone else that should be credited?

:shrug:

A3DLover
06-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I can't help but think that you're so close to answering your own question that I'm surprised it didn't connect when you typed that out. Let me help.

1. Are the various figure models available (like Victoria4, Aiko/Xin, Micheal4) Poser/Daz content?

2. Are the Daz/Poser content such as clothes, props, hair, texture, mapping and morph developers created by you or someone else that should be credited?

:shrug:
Aw man i'm such a noob at a 3d terms. like static mesh- i dont know what that is..
Really i planned on doing my own props, maps and textures if i could use the figure models.
I still cant figure model...yet
Okay i'll go back reread the post then look up the terms.
Thanks

rattlesnake
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Q: hi, i tried to find this question but i think no one asked yet:

can i post my W.I.P images at my zbrush central sketchbook? or do i have to wait until challenge end to post outside cgtalk? :curious:

Kirt
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
rattlesnake - That was asked and answered on the first page. Try harder please so we don't have to keep repeating ourselves. Thanks.

rattlesnake
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
oh i found it!..lol, thanx man sorry about bothering you :thumbsup: :blush:

Meris
06-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I apologize if this question has already been answered and I'm just blind, but is there a minimum and/or maximum image size for WIP jpegs? Along the same lines, if the image is too big, will the forum resize it or will it break the forum layout somehow? Thanks so much in advance!

Kirt
06-23-2009, 07:54 PM
From my own experience with the upload process, it seems to be resizing to 680 width so that the images do not 'break' the forum. On the upload page it does state the following:Normal Milestone images submitted must be in JPG or PNG formats only. You can make it as large as you like (up to around 1280x1024), with a filesize limit of 150kb.

Meris
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
From my own experience with the upload process, it seems to be resizing to 680 width so that the images do not 'break' the forum. On the upload page it does state the following:

Thank you! I am, apparently, somewhat blind. ;)

stevenhughes
06-23-2009, 09:16 PM
I have been working on an animation for some time, where the theme fits into this contest very well. 1 day ago I finished rendering a version (to meet the deadline) for a different short film contest, although its not as polished as I would like and I want to work on improving it - is it still eligable to enter it into this contest?

Cheers
Steve

Kirt
06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
stevenhughes - Please read the rules (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/rules.php). First paragraphs and number 11 will answer your question.

SahaneNik
06-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi,
I've already started a thread for challange, it contained my pre-viz now i want to post WIP image, should i post as reply directly in the same thread or is there any other procedure?
:)
Thanks in advance
Nikhil

STILL-MOTION
06-30-2009, 04:11 AM
" Image:
This can be created with any tools you like - 2D & 3D. ......................................................
..................Entries in this category will also be automatically eligible for the Matte Painting Open Category......................................................................................... "

So, in this category if I submitted the work in 2d, I won,t be eligible for modelling, texturing, lighting etc. Am I right on this?

And what if I submitted the Image as 3d renders, will I still be eligible for modelling, texturing, lighting etc or are these awards reserve for the videos categories?

I will be glad if someone could answer that.
Thank you.

khendar
06-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi,
I've already started a thread for challange, it contained my pre-viz now i want to post WIP image, should i post as reply directly in the same thread or is there any other procedure?
:)
Thanks in advance
Nikhil

Use the Submit Entry (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php) page. Select "WIP" as the Milestone.

khendar
06-30-2009, 04:18 AM
" Image:
This can be created with any tools you like - 2D & 3D. ......................................................
..................Entries in this category will also be automatically eligible for the Matte Painting Open Category......................................................................................... "

So, in this category if I submitted the work in 2d, I won,t be eligible for modelling, texturing, lighting etc. Am I right on this?

And what if I submitted the Image as 3d renders, will I still be eligible for modelling, texturing, lighting etc or are these awards reserve for the videos categories?

I will be glad if someone could answer that.
Thank you.

The entries are eligible for categories that are appropriate for the type of image. Naturally a 2D image will not be eligible for a Modeling prize.

You do not submit your image into 3D or 2D. You submit an Image entry or a Video entry.

Staszek
06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Link to uploading wip animatic videos seems to not work :

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/deliverables.php

there is sentece:"The CGChallenge Uploader is available here."
and comes out after click "Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server."

Dan86uk
06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi was just wandering how i post up my wip images, i've posted up my 1st pic but dont know how to post up my other pics.

Thanks

Kirt
06-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi was just wandering how i post up my wip images, i've posted up my 1st pic but dont know how to post up my other pics.

Thanks
Dude ... read the thread. (3 posts up from yours) :banghead:

animaboy
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey guys and gals,
sorry for the inconvenience but i have some confusion in my mind while reading the instructions of the challenge.

I simply want to ask about in video challenge what we have to make. i mean to ask just only a trailer of the upcoming movie storied by me or some short movie too for my story.

if i make just a trailer then it will be highlighting character, some of his actions, stunts, dialogues as normal action or agent type movie's trailers contains.

is that enough for the challenge or i have to animation my full concept also along with the movie trailer.??

destruct007
07-01-2009, 05:44 AM
is the video challenge uploader link broken?

I can't get it, I wanted to upload my video

edit just saw this:
Link to uploading wip animatic videos seems to not work :

there is sentece:"The CGChallenge Uploader is available here."
and comes out after click "Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server."
so I guess it's in the works to get fixed?

tatu
07-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I worked all the way through the Steampunk challenge only to run into a problem uploading the final image. It seemed (I could be wrong) that there was no way to do it from a mac. If that was/is true i need to know to make plans early.
Anybody help me on this??
G

Staszek
07-01-2009, 07:46 AM
i guess i did it to hasty

I saved this jar on disk and run from it. Challenge uploader window opened.
Istarted to upload (850kb flash video file) nad 80px(jpg 1kb) thumbnail for it.

Uploaded - so sorry for haste before with "seems to not working"

ChrRambow
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Where to upload our wip animations? ... at the moment i've uploaded a screengrap and then the video on my personal webspace (wich is not that much) and on vimeo (i hope its ok)

destruct007
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
it seems to be fixed now, or rather back in place.

Staszek
07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
yes, its working well

hey ChrRambow (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=203)

link to it :

http://features.cgsociety.org/chall...eliverables.php (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/deliverables.php)

and there is sentece:"The CGChallenge Uploader is available here."

gpepper
07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I would like to change my entry from video to image...
How do I do that ?

ChrRambow
07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Great thank you :)

I will remove the vimeo vid asap ... because we are not allowed to post outside cgtalk.

animaboy
07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey guys and gals,
sorry for the inconvenience but i have some confusion in my mind while reading the instructions of the challenge.

I simply want to ask about in video challenge what we have to make. i mean to ask just only a trailer of the upcoming movie storied by me or some short movie too for my story.

if i make just a trailer then it will be highlighting character, some of his actions, stunts, dialogues as normal action or agent type movie's trailers contains.

is that enough for the challenge or i have to animation my full concept also along with the movie trailer.??

Please guys respond me by clearing my doubt.

Isk-86
07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I would like to change my entry from video to image...
How do I do that ?

If I understood the rules, you can participate in both categories, if you want to stop participating on video... just keep submitting that thread....

gpepper
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
If I understood the rules, you can participate in both categories, if you want to stop participating on video... just keep submitting that thread....

You are right, that is what I thought, I just wanted not to "loose" all the comments already in my video thread...
But if I have no other choice, it won't be very serious...

khendar
07-02-2009, 12:51 AM
I worked all the way through the Steampunk challenge only to run into a problem uploading the final image. It seemed (I could be wrong) that there was no way to do it from a mac. If that was/is true i need to know to make plans early.
Anybody help me on this??
G

We made a change to the Uploader so that it will run on most Macs. I recommend that you test the uploader well before the deadline so we can avoid the problems of last time.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/challengeuploader.jar

khendar
07-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey guys and gals,

• 30 second version of trailer for initial judging. Followed by a maximum of 90 sec making of material, followed by full length Video.

So you need the Trailer (30sec) the Making of material (90sec) and the full Video (any length you want, usually 2-3 minutes)

khendar
07-02-2009, 12:56 AM
You are right, that is what I thought, I just wanted not to "loose" all the comments already in my video thread...
But if I have no other choice, it won't be very serious...

You will unfortunately lose the comments in your video thread. However you can always post a link back to it telling people this is where you started. We have no way of merging entries.

khendar
07-02-2009, 12:57 AM
i guess i did it to hasty

I saved this jar on disk and run from it. Challenge uploader window opened.
Istarted to upload (850kb flash video file) nad 80px(jpg 1kb) thumbnail for it.

Uploaded - so sorry for haste before with "seems to not working"

Yeah the link to the Uploader was dead. Its been fixed now. Sorry for the confusion.

animaboy
07-02-2009, 03:30 AM
• 30 second version of trailer for initial judging. Followed by a maximum of 90 sec making of material, followed by full length Video.

So you need the Trailer (30sec) the Making of material (90sec) and the full Video (any length you want, usually 2-3 minutes)

Thank Your sir for desired information. :)

chele
07-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Hello, this is my first time participating in a competition. I was wondering if there is no problem with using a friend's character design (with his permission of course) as inspiration for the concept of my entry. I would be modeling the character and designing the rest of the elements in the scene.

Isk-86
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Is there a way to hold submissions copyrights to the school I'm working in instead of my name... because the team members are working so hard and I don't like to have © to my name if it's not my work.... :hmm:

BUZZFX
07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but if I upload an image and need to change it how do I do that?

Also, I am uploading an image that is (1280 x 720) but when I click to view the uploaded image it is much smaller like (640 x 360) why is that?

Thanks

fuchamecha
07-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I see in an earlier question answered it says we can change concept as we go. My question is:

Is it possible to delete a current thread and start a completely new one? - this if the concept has changed so drastically it needs a fresh slate!?

I hope this specific question has not already been asked/answered and i missed it, if so apologies..

pisnok
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
i want to put thumbnail file to feedback secret gent forum but i could not find where to link file .could any one explain please? thank you

BUZZFX
07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but if I upload an image and need to change it how do I do that?

Also, I am uploading an image that is (1280 x 720) but when I click to view the uploaded image it is much smaller like (640 x 360) why is that?

Thanks

Hi, is anyone still answering questions in here?

figueroa
07-05-2009, 07:45 PM
One quick question, it says in the instructions that a portrait layout seems preferred. Is it ok to do similar image sizes but landscape? Will this hurt our chances any?
Thanks

PuiArt
07-05-2009, 08:32 PM
One quick question, it says in the instructions that a portrait layout seems preferred. Is it ok to do similar image sizes but landscape? Will this hurt our chances any?

yup, you are free to create your image any orientation you like; square, circle, hexagon ,etc, and any size you want; so long as when you submit your milestones, make sure your save for web images meets the submission size. once you are on your final image, send in your original image size/file size via ftp to the contest submission link given here (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/final_image.php), and you should be set =)

there should be a remove button somewhere on the millstone page after you press the upload button on any of your uploaded image stages. if not, just submit another image after that to update to the latest image you want, there is no penalty in uploading the incorrect image that you wish to display; mind you that the final image SHOULD be the image that you want to submit as your final image, other than that, just chillax =)

on your second question, i am not quite sure why your submitted image size was reduce, perhaps it was a tad big on your image display default size? thus your browser automatically reduce the viewing size? is there a magnifying mouse when you hover your mouse over the display image? other than that, i am not quite sure why the image is doing that.

Is it possible to delete a current thread and start a completely new one? - this if the concept has changed so drastically it needs a fresh slate!?

O.o if there is a change in your concept that is so different from your previous concept, just keep posting your new updates on your thread, there is no need to delete the current thread to indetify a new idea; your thread is created with the challenege's name, and your name, so all in all, it is simply a identifier that shows you entering, nothing more.

Is there a way to hold submissions copyrights to the school I'm working in instead of my name... because the team members are working so hard and I don't like to have © to my name if it's not my work.... :hmm:

ohh, its nice your entering a team entry, as regarding the submission name, your thread by default is created with the challenge name and the account name of the person that enter the contest. just as long as you state in your thread that your doing a team project and list the specialist in the credits, i dont see any harms done to the team spirit. your final submission should also let you cleaify that. the instruction page of the contest does state to have a team leader to handle any human relation department when it comes to the press; if anything, feel free to dig through the previous challeneges for entry example. i have yet to enter a team contest so i can't offer you my best opinion. if i remember correctly, when you first create your entry thread, there should be a choice that you can pick when you enter; individual or group.

Hello, this is my first time participating in a competition. I was wondering if there is no problem with using a friend's character design (with his permission of course) as inspiration for the concept of my entry. I would be modeling the character and designing the rest of the elements in the scene.

you are free to use any inspirational and persperational sources, so long as you talk to the person or persons should your inspirational concept be a big impact on your final image/submission; you already mention that you have spoke to the source and has recieve persmission to incorparate the inspirational concept, so go for it =D, make sure you give your friend a cookie since he or she has been so generious ;)

khendar
07-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi, is anyone still answering questions in here?

Yes but contrary to popular belief we are not robots and do actually take a break over the weekends sometimes.

Thanks

You don't change the image you have uploaded. You uploaded a new version of it. Its meant to be a Work in Progress thread. It shows your progress.

The images are resized when uploaded so that people can't steal your hi res works.

khendar
07-05-2009, 10:45 PM

If they are in your team member list then its fine. Just include the individual artists name in the description of the images that you upload.

khendar
07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I see in an earlier question answered it says we can change concept as we go. My question is:

I hope this specific question has not already been asked/answered and i missed it, if so apologies..

We really don't care how much your concept changes. You can go in the complete opposite direction in the same thread if you want. The thread is just to show your progress. Changing the direction of your piece is part of the process.

khendar
07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks

There's no preferred layout. Portrait or Landscape are both fine.

khendar
07-05-2009, 10:48 PM
i want to put thumbnail file to feedback secret gent forum but i could not find where to link file .could any one explain please? thank you

You have to use the Submit Entries page to upload your images:

Isk-86
07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
If they are in your team member list then its fine. Just include the individual artists name in the description of the images that you upload.

Thanks for answering, now I won't get hanged... :beer:

BUZZFX
07-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Yes but contrary to popular belief we are not robots and do actually take a break over the weekends sometimes.

Sorry Timothy, didn't mean any disrespect but just wondering if the thread was closed. Thanks for the reply! :)

You don't change the image you have uploaded. You uploaded a new version of it. Its meant to be a Work in Progress thread. It shows your progress.

The images are resized when uploaded so that people can't steal your hi res works.

That makes sense, but it makes it harder to know what the final viewing size will be. If I want my uploaded image to be 1280 x 720 do I need to double the uploaded size to 2560 x 1440?

khendar
07-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Sorry Timothy, didn't mean any disrespect but just wondering if the thread was closed. Thanks for the reply! :)

The FAQ thread will remain open for the rest of the competition. You'd be surprised how many people we get asking how to submit images in the last week of the competition.

That makes sense, but it makes it harder to know what the final viewing size will be. If I want my uploaded image to be 1280 x 720 do I need to double the uploaded size to 2560 x 1440?

The images will always be resized to roughly the same size when you upload them. The only one that you really need to be concerned about with regards to size is your final image submission.

CGIsrael
07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi, I got a Mac and the cguploader.jar works fine in my computer, challengeuploader.jar doesn't work, it reports me an error everytime I try to open it. Do you have a solution to this? I know there was an earlier version where more people had problems, but now I saw entries with a challenge working adress. I CANNOT UPLOAD VIDEOS!!! HELP!!!

khendar
07-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi, I got a Mac and the cguploader.jar works fine in my computer, challengeuploader.jar doesn't work, it reports me an error everytime I try to open it. Do you have a solution to this? I know there was an earlier version where more people had problems, but now I saw entries with a challenge working adress. I CANNOT UPLOAD VIDEOS!!! HELP!!!

Try and download it again now. I have updated the Mac version.

CGIsrael
07-12-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks Khendar, but I'm still having the problem. The same error, when I go to the console to see the report this is what I get, if it can help you:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

CGIsrael
07-12-2009, 01:47 AM
NOW IS WORKING!!! Thanks man, you are great.

Israel

khendar
07-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Phew. Glad you got it working because I was sure I uploaded the updated version :)

diissar
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM
hi,I'm sorry but i have a small question,to submit the final image,should i do it from the submit final image page or use the challengeuploader.jar?it says the final image must be a TIFF file,should i flatten my image to reduce the size or keep the layers?
thanks

diissar
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
hi,I'm sorry but i have a small question,to submit the final image,should i do it from the submit final image page or use the challengeuploader.jar?it says the final image must be a TIFF file,should i flatten my image to reduce the size or keep the layers?
thanks

gauravsingh
07-14-2009, 02:38 PM
is that fair that i show just a face not the whole body for secret agent?

khendar
07-15-2009, 12:22 AM
thanks

Instructions for uploading your final image are listed on the Final Image (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php) page (once you enter your address details etc). Basically, you will use the ChallengeUploader, your final piece will be a 2657x3636px (roughly, or equivalent landscape size - bigger is ok) jpg, 300 DPI if you can, at 90-100% quality.

FalyneVarger
07-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Instructions for uploading your final image are listed on the Final Image (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php) page (once you enter your address details etc). Basically, you will use the ChallengeUploader, your final piece will be a 2657x3636px (roughly, or equivalent landscape size - bigger is ok) jpg, 300 DPI if you can, at 90-100% quality.

I'm trying to upload my final image now, but the ChallengeUploader is telling me that my file must be limited to at most 1280x1024. Am I not supposed to upload as large as possible?
My image is 2692x3278 at 300 DPI.

diissar
07-18-2009, 06:10 PM
hi,thank you for your reaply, im facing a small problem now,i uploaded a WIP image using the challengeuploader and it gave me an error msg,and when i tried again it uploaded the same image 6 times,i really don't know what went wrong,if you can tell me how to take off the 5images(wich are the same) please.
im waiting your reapley
cheers
Younes

CGIPadawan
07-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi....

I have a slight problem right now with the "Upload Final Image" link, after entering my Address in Step 2 or 3, it cannot proceed... Says the Server may be down.

Please assist.

Thanks. :wavey:

ShogunWarrior
07-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Question: If i don't like my current concept and composition can i change it and do something else. I don't really like my story and I want to change it to something else. Can i still upload my progress with the new scene and composition?? thanks..

CGIPadawan
07-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Hello,

I'm going to try to upload now my final images.

I have a few questions.

On the Deliverables Page it says:
"All online image submissions must be in JPG or PNG format. The final image for the Image category must be in both JPG/PNG (submitted online), and High Quality JPEG formats (submitted by ChallengeUploader, at a print-resolution of no less than 300dpi)."

But in submitting the final Entry it says the format should be TIFF.

And furthermore, in the online Submit Entry page it says:
"Normal Milestone images submitted must be in JPG or PNG formats only. You can make it as large as you like (up to around 1280x1024), with a filesize limit of 150kb."

Now, there is no way my full-sized Final Entry will conform with the milestones page limitations.

So... if I am submitting my final image... which is supposed to be 4,030 x 2,700 at 300 dpi...

I should:

1) Use Challenge Uploader to upload a high-resolution TIFF (31 MB)
2) Submit a down-sized JPEG version of the entry at 1280 x 580 at 50% quality to stay within 150kb.
3) Submit a down-sized PNG version of the entry at 1280 x 580 at 50% quality to stay within 150kb.

But won't Items 2 and 3 clutter up my WIP thread?

Please advise.
Thanks.

khendar
07-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm trying to upload my final image now, but the ChallengeUploader is telling me that my file must be limited to at most 1280x1024. Am I not supposed to upload as large as possible?
My image is 2692x3278 at 300 DPI.

That should be fine. There was a glitch in the upload system. Please try it now and let me know how you go.

khendar
07-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Question: If i don't like my current concept and composition can i change it and do something else. I don't really like my story and I want to change it to something else. Can i still upload my progress with the new scene and composition?? thanks..

Yep no problem.

khendar
07-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Hello,

I'm going to try to upload now my final images.

I have a few questions.

On the Deliverables Page it says:
"All online image submissions must be in JPG or PNG format. The final image for the Image category must be in both JPG/PNG (submitted online), and High Quality JPEG formats (submitted by ChallengeUploader, at a print-resolution of no less than 300dpi)."

But in submitting the final Entry it says the format should be TIFF.

And furthermore, in the online Submit Entry page it says:
"Normal Milestone images submitted must be in JPG or PNG formats only. You can make it as large as you like (up to around 1280x1024), with a filesize limit of 150kb."

Now, there is no way my full-sized Final Entry will conform with the milestones page limitations.

So... if I am submitting my final image... which is supposed to be 4,030 x 2,700 at 300 dpi...

I should:

1) Use Challenge Uploader to upload a high-resolution TIFF (31 MB)
2) Submit a down-sized JPEG version of the entry at 1280 x 580 at 50% quality to stay within 150kb.
3) Submit a down-sized PNG version of the entry at 1280 x 580 at 50% quality to stay within 150kb.

But won't Items 2 and 3 clutter up my WIP thread?

Please advise.
Thanks.

Okay lets try to clear this up.

Your Normal milestones should only be around 1280 pixels and 150kb jpegs. These are your Concept/PreVis images, and Work In Progress images. You will submit these through the Submit Entry (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/submit_entry.php)

Your final image should be submitted through the ChallengeUploader, and should be JPEGS ~3600px in width and/or height, at 90%+ quality and 300DPI if possible (I know the page says they should be TIFFs but this is wrong and in the process of being corrected).

I'm looking into the lag issue on the Final Image page. Hopefully I can stop the page from timing out when you get to step three.

Does this clear things up ?

CGIPadawan
07-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks Khendar.... Really... it was getting a bit confusing about the TIFF's.

So it's all now JPEG.. Okay.. That's clear.

Question though.... Why does the Submit Entry Page drop down box also contain "Final Image". Is this just an optional venue where I can show a low-res version of Final Images for the CG Talk community?

Judges will check the FTP-ed print size one I presume.

khendar
07-20-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks Khendar.... Really... it was getting a bit confusing about the TIFF's.

So it's all now JPEG.. Okay.. That's clear.

Question though.... Why does the Submit Entry Page drop down box also contain "Final Image". Is this just an optional venue where I can show a low-res version of Final Images for the CG Talk community?

Judges will check the FTP-ed print size one I presume.

We changed the final image submission system when we ran the last challenge and we're still working through some of the legacy issues. The "Final Image" in the Submit Entry drop down box is for a low res version if you want to upload one.

CGIPadawan
07-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks Timothy.

FalyneVarger
07-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Ah. This is better. It didn't reject my entry this time.
The only other thing is that, even though it says "upload ok", the thumb appears broken on the final image page and when I click on it there is a page load error. Did my entry still go through safely or was there a problem?

CyrilJEDOR
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry if my english is not perfect but i am not sure of one thing. I have read it's possible to create many concept in one entery but i don't know if we can submit many final images... can we?

walrus
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Each person is only allowed to submit one final entry in the image category. Create all you want, but you'll have to settle on one final something! :)

FalyneVarger
07-22-2009, 02:30 AM
So I'm going to assume it's ok because it showed up in my thread. :)
But new question. Even though I've submitted my final image is there anyway I can make modifications? Not small ones like slipping in extra details, but bigger ones like adding characters.

Louzada
07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Hello moderators,

I have a story that I developed for the contest. Only that that story is applied for the two categories. Image and Video. I would like ribbon one doubt. Exists the main character's problem to appear in my individual entrance and in the video for team. Note: Everything is completely different. Only the character it is the same. It is as if it was two different films (Superman 1, 2, 3...)

Notice that in my entrance the name that I gave is "Celestial Notes: The Angel Detective." Exists a title and a subtitle. That was thought (for me) from the beginning. But, would like to leave clear subject because the video is already in production with mounted team (I am the leader).

I thank in advance.

Hugs,
Louzada

Vampyrangel
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Hallo,

i have search and search but i can´t get in efficent info.

But first i say, this is my first time on cg challenge.

I search how to or where i can upload my high res final image.

Thanks so much forward

Thanx
Björn Schmitz
Vampyr Angel arts&graphics

diissar
07-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Hallo,

i have search and search but i can´t get in efficent info.

But first i say, this is my first time on cg challenge.

I search how to or where i can upload my high res final image.

Thanks so much forward

Thanx
Björn Schmitz
Vampyr Angel arts&graphics

hi,you can post it here

good luck

Vampyrangel
07-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Thank you for the informations.

Greatings
Björn Schmitz

Lappisch
07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi, I uploaded my final image at high resolution via cguploader, and it loaded to 100 percent and gave me the ok, but when I tried to open the image to check it was loaded right, the page said the link was broken. Can someone please tell me I did it right? *paranoid*

Vampyrangel
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Hallo together,

I am a little unsafe in uploading of the Final Image.
Everybody always talks from the Challenge uploader. Nevertheless, please, give me a link.

Then some talk of it problems with Uploading.

In instructions is the speech of the FTP upload.

Please, around a detailed description to upload the high res Final image.

Many thanks
Björn schmitz

khendar
07-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Hallo together,

I am a little unsafe in uploading of the Final Image.
Everybody always talks from the Challenge uploader. Nevertheless, please, give me a link.

Then some talk of it problems with Uploading.

In instructions is the speech of the FTP upload.

Please, around a detailed description to upload the high res Final image.

Many thanks
Björn schmitz

The link to the Uploader is on the Final Image (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/final_image.php) page, as are instructions on how to use it. There is no FTP, some instructions are outdated.

Vampyrangel
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi,

Tank you very much.

And sorry, but if you are the first time in challenge there are so much informations and everybody says different stuff.

Thank you for this....

Greetings from Bonn - Germany
Björn Schmitz

VAMPYR ANGEL arts & graphics

Spongeali
07-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi I am new to using your site and so some of my questions might be a little basic, but i couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

When I save my image from RIF format to JPG I don't notice any difference in the colour, however when I upload it here and view it on my thread the colour seems to have faded and the layers colour has faded. Im assuming this is something I am doing wrong with my image as no one else seems to be having this issue; if you could point me to a solution for this problem I would be very grateful.

This has only become an issue since I applied some basic textures for my background :/

salmonmoose
07-31-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi I am new to using your site and so some of my questions might be a little basic, but i couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

When I save my image from RIF format to JPG I don't notice any difference in the colour, however when I upload it here and view it on my thread the colour seems to have faded and the layers colour has faded. Im assuming this is something I am doing wrong with my image as no one else seems to be having this issue; if you could point me to a solution for this problem I would be very grateful.

This has only become an issue since I applied some basic textures for my background :/

Sounds like a colour profile thing - we don't support colour profiles (and neither do most browsers) - when you save your image out, use something like "save for web" which should apply any profiles to the actual image rather than as a post-effect.

amidrajabi
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
why my images remove from view all entries page ?

please answer me

khendar
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
why my images remove from view all entries page ?

please answer me

They haven't. I can see your spider picture on the first page of the All Entries page.

amidrajabi
07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
i uploaded 5 images that all of them removed from view all entry page !

please help

mcscher
07-31-2009, 02:16 PM
I can see them wothout any problems

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=291&t=788617

bkravi
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
my god I am late...late...late...

I really wish to enter in to this chgallenge,but its my fault I didnt saw any add of this challenge, and didnt knew it was going to be started by june. I missed half of the given time.

I think if I do very hard work then possibly I can finish it, I know its going to be very difficult but I want to do it. I want to enter in to Video Entry. CAN I ENTER NOW..? ...can judges consider my work? or they will ignore because of late entry?

Please tell me...

hockey1237
08-01-2009, 04:06 AM
The base images for many of my textures were found through google image searches. Can I credit these images as such, or do I need the actual source of each image? If the actual sources are required, can I credit them by providing a link to the full list on my website?

saeDubai
08-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi, I have two questions about our video entry:

1) The use of stock footage

We are producing a live action/CG film trailer and some of our shots in the introduction call for aerial views of the city. A local firm has agreed to allow us to incorporate their stock footage of the same as long as we credit them in full.

This stock footage would not exceed about 5% of the overall live action content (we have shot the rest ourselves entirely) and the stock footage would be fully licensed/authorized.

Is this acceptable?

2) Submission of Finished Video:

According to the Deliverables of the challenge, the final submission for judging are:

30 second version of trailer for initial judging. Followed by a maximum of 90 sec making of material, followed by full length Video.
Do these have to be submitted as a single video together, i.e, the three flowing one after another, or should each of the three be submitted separately?

Thanks.

Best regards, Varun

sknne77
08-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi there, the ChallengeUploader isn't working for me, im using Vista 32bit.
I click add Video Source File, and the bar stays on 0% nothing happens. How do i get this thing to work? also is there any other way to upload my progress video's??

Regards

Ian S.

goddamit
08-02-2009, 02:49 AM
could you pl tell me what is the deadline for 30 second version of trailer for initial judging?

khendar
08-03-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi there, the ChallengeUploader isn't working for me, im using Vista 32bit.
I click add Video Source File, and the bar stays on 0% nothing happens. How do i get this thing to work? also is there any other way to upload my progress video's??

Regards

Ian S.

Did you click the Upload File button ? Did you give the uploader an image file to use as a thumb ?

khendar
08-03-2009, 03:59 AM
my god I am late...late...late...

I really wish to enter in to this chgallenge,but its my fault I didnt saw any add of this challenge, and didnt knew it was going to be started by june. I missed half of the given time.

I think if I do very hard work then possibly I can finish it, I know its going to be very difficult but I want to do it. I want to enter in to Video Entry. CAN I ENTER NOW..? ...can judges consider my work? or they will ignore because of late entry?

Please tell me...

You can start whenever you want. By "Late Entries" we mean final submissions made AFTER the deadline. Provided you get your final image in by the deadline, we don't care when you start.

khendar
08-03-2009, 04:00 AM
could you pl tell me what is the deadline for 30 second version of trailer for initial judging?

There is a counter on the submit entry page:

Image time left: 6 days, 0 hours, 57 minutes, 29 seconds.
Video time left: 39 days, 0 hours, 57 minutes, 29 seconds.

The trailer is due at the same time as the complete video.

khendar
08-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Hi, I have two questions about our video entry:

1) The use of stock footage

We are producing a live action/CG film trailer and some of our shots in the introduction call for aerial views of the city. A local firm has agreed to allow us to incorporate their stock footage of the same as long as we credit them in full.

This stock footage would not exceed about 5% of the overall live action content (we have shot the rest ourselves entirely) and the stock footage would be fully licensed/authorized.

Is this acceptable?

That sounds fine.

2) Submission of Finished Video:

According to the Deliverables of the challenge, the final submission for judging are:

Do these have to be submitted as a single video together, i.e, the three flowing one after another, or should each of the three be submitted separately?

We're prefer them to be edited together in one piece for simplicity. However if you are having trouble getting them up on the server then you can submit them as three seperate pieces.

sknne77
08-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Did you click the Upload File button ? Did you give the uploader an image file to use as a thumb ?

I originally didnt think, i was being thick. I didnt add an image, as i thought that that was to upload an image, where as i wanted to upload a video only, doh, the image is to go with the video, once i did this, all was fine. It does work. :)

thanks

Regards

Ian S.

bkravi
08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I am individual and will not be able create my own music, Is it OK if I use music from songs and soundtracks if I Credit them? does it effect judging?

Regards
Ravi

gblanck
08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
i didnt manage to install the cg uploader CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

Randis
08-03-2009, 02:03 PM
What is the final image maximum resolution and file size? the image the judges will get.

Problem is that my image is in a very wide format and it contains a LOT of bright Red and green shades. Red has the worst compression rate, even at a super small size of 680 px wide the image looks like crap at 140 kb. At 1000 px wide the image can not even show a 3th of the original details at 1600 the image with a good jpg compression is already getting fairly big.

wide images have a fairly poor exposure here.

diissar
08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
What is the final image maximum resolution and file size? the image the judges will get.

Problem is that my image is in a very wide format and it contains a LOT of bright Red and green shades. Red has the worst compression rate, even at a super small size of 680 px wide the image looks like crap at 140 kb. At 1000 px wide the image can not even show a 3th of the original details at 1600 the image with a good jpg compression is already getting fairly big.

wide images have a fairly poor exposure here.

hi Randis,you should go to the final image submission page to submit your final image,here is the link

after giving your adress and info,a page with all informations will show up,you will need the challenge uploader to upload your image.you don't need to compress your image since they allow for a 3600px wide or high at 300dpi wich is big enaugh
my image at jpg format is around 10Megabits.

hope it will help you
good luck

Randis
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the Info!

FBiege
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
is there any chance that there will be an extension of the deadline for the image competition ?

i know its lame to ask, but i could only enter late this time and now theres only a couple of days left :blush:
just 2 days or something would be so great... :arteest:

walrus
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Even a day and a half would be great, as those of us on the other side of the planet could then work on and submit our entries on Sunday of next weekend and not have to submit Saturday night. :D

khendar
08-04-2009, 05:45 AM
i didnt manage to install the cg uploader CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

What operating system are you running ? You shouldn't have to install anything, it should just run as downloaded.

Did you follow the instructions on this page: http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Help:CGUploader ?

khendar
08-04-2009, 06:17 AM
At this stage we're not planning on granting an extension for the Image Challenge. Unless something major goes belly up before Sunday, the deadline still stands.

diissar
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi,i have a small question if you don't mind,i already uploaded my final image with the challenge uploader,and after getting feedbacks from other members i did few changes and uploaded it again,everything went perfect,i m just wondering
can i submit another version,i have few things i wanna fix,does the new one replace the uploaded ones before?(i uploaded my final image 2 times now)
please answer me

cheers

khendar
08-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi,i have a small question if you don't mind,i already uploaded my final image with the challenge uploader,and after getting feedbacks from other members i did few changes and uploaded it again,everything went perfect,i m just wondering
can i submit another version,i have few things i wanna fix,does the new one replace the uploaded ones before?(i uploaded my final image 2 times now)
please answer me

cheers

You can "technically" upload your final multiple times. We will just take the latest one for judging.

diissar
08-05-2009, 03:54 AM
Thank you :)

bkravi
08-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Hi, It may be asked before but i am not clear about it, I just want to know as an individual challenger, can I use sound from soundtrack of any film or any album if I credit them? also want to know whatever we are doing for challenge is it considered as a comercial material or just a study.

khendar
08-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Hi, It may be asked before but i am not clear about it, I just want to know as an individual challenger, can I use sound from soundtrack of any film or any album if I credit them? also want to know whatever we are doing for challenge is it considered as a comercial material or just a study.

We'd rather you did not use copyrighted material in your entries.

Madail
08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi there,

I'm trying to enter the challenge, but it seems an error is occurring, after confirming the name and country, just returns a blank page with "Error:" written. Then i noticed my thread was duplicated, because i tried several times to "enter" the challenge, and i noticed it happened to others too...

Is this an error, or cant i join in already?

Randis
08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
oops, nevermind.

ZhugeLiang
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I just wanted to echo the previous poster that several people, including myself, have had the same problem. After step 2 of "Enter Challenge" (name and country), we all receive an blank page with the word "Error". If we try submitting artwork, it tells us we haven't entered the challenge.

spottyspotty
08-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Yes, I have the same problem - there is an error after the 2nd step of joining the challenge process. It would be awful - not to take part in this challenge... Does anyone know what to do with this error?

Vampyrangel
08-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Good afternoon,

I have just seen that some sign up several times in the forum.

Is this serious?

Many greetings
Björn

ZhugeLiang
08-05-2009, 07:45 PM
This is because, new members, myself included, can't get past step 2 to Enter the Challenge. We keep getting an Error. So, when we try submitting again, a new post appears. And yes...we've tried submitting our work and the system just tells us we are not entered in the challenge, despite auto-posts that says we've signed up.

Hopefully, the site administrator will either fix the system or let us know that they've closed off new entries.

Madail
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
"Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized."

Well, as posted in this thread opening, we can enter the challenge until the closing date, even though members can be penalized by doing so, as some may be intentionally withholding they're pictures right up to the end for any given reason. One of the points in the challenges is getting the community to participate and debate in each others work, and as a result, much better results may come from this.

Anyway, I hope this gets corrected soon, as we are entitled to enter the challenge. Some people, myself included, may only had the chance due to time restraints to enter the challenge later, but nonetheless much effort is in place, so it would be very bad to cancel member entries with a forum glitch. I think this should be priority to solve, so the end date doesn't need to be altered. As a cgsociety paying member and i think that i "speak" for all, i really feel sorry about this situation, and would like to see some cgs staff member replying.

Thanks

khendar
08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Lets be absolutely clear here.

NO ONE is going to be penalised for entering the competition late. Provided that you have submitted your final piece before the deadline, you are fine. However we will not be granting any extensions for final submissions beyond the current deadline. If you've left it until the last minute, and can't get your final piece in on time, I'm afraid you miss out.

The reason some of you were having trouble was there was a bug in the submission system which I have now fixed. Some of you have found that you have multiple forum entries. You do not have multiple competition entries, just multiple forum entries. If you have more than one forum thread, you can contact me so that I can remove the extra one.

I hope this clears things up, and sorry for the trouble.

dboydesign
08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi!

I was just wondering, first time I have finnished a project for CGSociety Contest and have uploaded the Image and evertything, but there is something that I cant understand.

I have uploaded with CGUploader and submitting Final Image with Submit Entry. The result was dobbel post in my thread so I guess I didnt have to submit with "Submit Entry" only with CGUploader?

The final image for the Image category must be in both JPG/PNG (submitted online),
I think I misunderstand this.. I thought you were suppose too upload with Submit Entry too, as Final. Also do you have deliver a jpg* and a png* or just jpg or png?

khendar
08-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi!

I was just wondering, first time I have finnished a project for CGSociety Contest and have uploaded the Image and evertything, but there is something that I cant understand.

I have uploaded with CGUploader and submitting Final Image with Submit Entry. The result was dobbel post in my thread so I guess I didnt have to submit with "Submit Entry" only with CGUploader?

I think I misunderstand this.. I thought you were suppose too upload with Submit Entry too, as Final. Also do you have deliver a jpg* and a png* or just jpg or png?

Its a bit unclear you're right.

Your final image only has to be submitted through the ChallengeUploader, in JPEG format.

dboydesign
08-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Thank you for such a fast reply khendar :)
Yeah it was a bit misleading.
But can some moderators delete one of my post? It looks much cleaner then having dobbel post ;)

Madail
08-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for the explanation, i was getting a little bit mad already ;) I apologize for any harsher words or feeling in my previous post.

Thanks again.

hardloader
08-06-2009, 06:33 PM
can I upload my final image directly from my PC and using the submit final image...or it has to be somewhere on a website...

mic
08-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm going to be going away tomorrow and will only be back Monday. I would like to upload my final image now but it doesn't seem to be working. I use the Challenge uploader, and everything is fine until it reaches the 100% mark. After that, I presume I should see a "complete" somewhere but I don't. I refreshed the page on the "submit final" page but I don't see my image. Am I doing something wrong?? I've tried doing the process twice but no luck. I'll try a third time.

Thanks for your time. I hope someone sees this in time.

mcscher
08-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I uploaded my final image today, it worked. Once you reached the 100% you can see a "completed" text at the bottom left corner of the CG Uploader. If you wait a little longer a little window pops up that tells you "upload ok". I guess that "wait a little longer" can vary depending on the internet connection. I waitet for about 10-20 seconds. Hope this helps.

mic
08-06-2009, 09:14 PM
On my 3rd attempt, I let it stay open for a while after the 100% mark. I still don't see the "completed" text and no popups show up. Maybe I'll let it stay open a little longer (it's on for a few minutes now).

mic
08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Nope. No luck. :(

hardloader
08-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I`ve just uploaded my final image but its showing up in the forum pages in low dimentions not with the originals HEEEEELP

diissar
08-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Mic: i faced the same problem,i can upload the image from my home Pc and it gives me an upload ok msg
but when i tried from work i got the same problem,it stays at 100% and the image doesn't show

i don't know why exactly
maybe its because of the java installed on the pc,or maybe its the operating system or maybe a firewall,or maybe something else
try uploading the image from another pc,or download another java version
hope it will help you

mic
08-06-2009, 10:47 PM
diissar: Thanks for the advice. I've tried installing the latest Java version and that didn't help at all. I'll try from work tomorrow (or today). But if that fails then I'm not gonna make it for the deadline since I'm away for the whole weekend. Damn Murphy's law! Things always seems to go wrong in last minute! :(

Oh well... I guess it's just bad luck on my side. Good luck to everyone in the competition!

khendar
08-07-2009, 12:27 AM
can I upload my final image directly from my PC and using the submit final image...or it has to be somewhere on a website...

You have to use the ChallengeUploader to submit your final image.

khendar
08-07-2009, 12:31 AM
I`ve just uploaded my final image but its showing up in the forum pages in low dimentions not with the originals HEEEEELP

In the last challenge we had a lot of people complaining that their full resolution final submission was made available for everyone to see (and download). As a result of this we have made it so the general public do not have access to the full resolution final images.

I have just checked and your final submission looks to be fine. We have the full resolution version.

khendar
08-07-2009, 12:31 AM
diissar: Thanks for the advice. I've tried installing the latest Java version and that didn't help at all. I'll try from work tomorrow (or today). But if that fails then I'm not gonna make it for the deadline since I'm away for the whole weekend. Damn Murphy's law! Things always seems to go wrong in last minute! :(

Oh well... I guess it's just bad luck on my side. Good luck to everyone in the competition!

This is why we recommend that people try the ChallengeUploader before the deadline so that these problems can be resolved.

diissar has given you the right advice:

1. Disable any firewall software
2. Try another computer on another internet connection.
3. If all else fails, contact me and send me your final image and I'll try to upload it for you.

JStevens
08-07-2009, 12:39 AM
I am interested in entering a contest, for the images category. It looks like it is to late the enter the Secret Agent Contest, for the 9th of August due date. What will be the next Contest and when will it start?

JStevens

khendar
08-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I am interested in entering a contest, for the images category. It looks like it is to late the enter the Secret Agent Contest, for the 9th of August due date. What will be the next Contest and when will it start?

JStevens

Yeah you'd really be struggling to finish the Secret Agent challenge if you started now :)

We run these major challenges twice a year, so the next one will probably be in 4 months time or so. We do have a bunch of mini-challenges which are every couple of weeks I believe. There are no prizes for these but they are good warmup exercises.

dogaweb
08-07-2009, 03:38 AM
I can send my final image for the competition, CGUploader.jar not open this file in any way here at my computer, I tried everything, otherwise it would have to send my image?
please is urgent because the deadline for submission is finalized.
Tanks

my entry Contest Secret Agent (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=291&t=779645)
www.dogaweb.com.br

khendar
08-07-2009, 03:51 AM
I can send my final image for the competition, CGUploader.jar not open this file in any way here at my computer, I tried everything, otherwise it would have to send my image?
please is urgent because the deadline for submission is finalized.
Tanks

First of all you need to use the ChallengeUploader (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/challengeuploader.jar)

Secondly there are instructions on how to run it Here (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Help:CGUploader).

dogaweb
08-07-2009, 04:02 AM
First of all you need to use the ChallengeUploader (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/challengeuploader.jar)

Secondly there are instructions on how to run it Here (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Help:CGUploader).

Already downloaded this file and it does not work on my pc, I disable my firewall, anti virus, short of everything I already tried the whole afternoon trying to send my final image for the contest, and am having no success.
Please Khendar, you could me to my final image?
please help me, Thank you very much

khendar
08-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Are you receiving any error messages. What happens when you run the file ?

What operating system are you using ?

dogaweb
08-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Are you receiving any error messages. What happens when you run the file ?

What operating system are you using ?

The bad that neither the error message I get the file, simply does not run, it asks you choose a program you run, but I downloaded Java, I unzip with winrar and saw that inside it has a lot of files " .Class " and no " .exe ".
my system operation is " Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits "
need help, I do not know else to do ....

khendar
08-07-2009, 04:35 AM
The bad that neither the error message I get the file, simply does not run, it asks you choose a program you run, but I downloaded Java, I unzip with winrar and saw that inside it has a lot of files " .Class " and no " .exe ".
my system operation is " Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits "
need help, I do not know else to do ....

You do not unzip the jar file.

You have to use the java -jar command in your command line, as described in the instructions.

Control + Escape to get your Start Menu, type "CMD" to get your command line.

In the command line type "java -jar c:\pathtofile\ChallengeUploader.jar"

This should run the program.

dogaweb
08-07-2009, 04:49 AM
You do not unzip the jar file.

You have to use the java -jar command in your command line, as described in the instructions.

Control + Escape to get your Start Menu, type "CMD" to get your command line.

In the command line type "java -jar c:\pathtofile\ChallengeUploader.jar"

This should run the program.

had tried the procedure as described in the instructions, but when I do this he can not find the program and error, "saying that the path or the program is not installed on the pc." as told you before I tried everything you try to send my final image, but so far not succeeded, it would not have another way to send my picture to this contest CGSociety Secret Agent?
now thank you for your dedication to my problem.

khendar
08-07-2009, 05:06 AM
had tried the procedure as described in the instructions, but when I do this he can not find the program and error, "saying that the path or the program is not installed on the pc." as told you before I tried everything you try to send my final image, but so far not succeeded, it would not have another way to send my picture to this contest CGSociety Secret Agent?
now thank you for your dedication to my problem.

Sounds like Java is not in your Environment Path. Did you reboot your system after installing Java ?

If its too hard you can try zipping your image up and emailing it to me, along with your CGTalk username and password, and your image description etc and I will submit it.

dogaweb
08-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Sounds like Java is not in your Environment Path. Did you reboot your system after installing Java ?

If its too hard you can try zipping your image up and emailing it to me, along with your CGTalk username and password, and your image description etc and I will submit it.

khendar, I sent for you, but to which email?
I pass it now that I got orders right now ok
and thank you for helping me be, I ask that you take DALY my work and give me your assessment, as asked in this forum and no one even gave me a suggestion.

khendar
08-07-2009, 05:53 AM
khendar, I sent for you, but to which email?
I pass it now that I got orders right now ok
and thank you for helping me be, I ask that you take DALY my work and give me your assessment, as asked in this forum and no one even gave me a suggestion.

Send it to t2@ballisticmedia.net. I'm no good at critique because I'm not an artist myself but I'm sure that someone else will offer up some opinions with your final piece.

dogaweb
08-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Send it to t2@ballisticmedia.net (http://forums.cgsociety.org/t2@ballisticmedia.net). I'm no good at critique because I'm not an artist myself but I'm sure that someone else will offer up some opinions with your final piece.

Email and has already had sent him a private message with my details and a link for downloading the images and descriptions, I am sending you this very file to this email now ok.

You will now post my image? I'm waiting
Khendar once again thank you for everything you did for me so far. so I have to thank you all for your attention.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=291&t=779645
softwares to development the my art
software used:
3ds Max2010
Photoshop CS3

diissar
08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
i have a favor to ask you,just if you can check if you correctly received my final image or not ,its around 10Mega jpeg file,i know you are busy.sorry

thanks in advance.

khendar
08-07-2009, 08:33 AM
i have a favor to ask you,just if you can check if you correctly received my final image or not ,its around 10Mega jpeg file,i know you are busy.sorry

thanks in advance.

Yep. It looks fine.

mcscher
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Is there a way to check oneself if everything is uploaded correctly instead of asking anyone else to check?
I've uploaded all WIPs and the final image as a max. 150k jpg online plus the HQ jpg of the final image via the challenge uploader. both final images are in my wip thread. does that mean everything went fine?

second question: can I attach images in a reply to my own wip thread that won't show as the most recent work on the image? What I would like to do is show some additional images like wireframes and so on without changing the thumbnail that already shows my final image in the Forum (Image) section.

diissar
08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Yep. It looks fine.

thank you :thumbsup:

one last thing,in my entry page

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/view_entries.php?challenger=18430

i have duplicates,i had a problem and the same image got posted 5 times,is it a problem?the duplicates are from the post on 'Saturday, 18 July 2009' if you can remove the duplicates and leave only the original.
same thing with my final image(i posted it 3 times)
if you can remove the Sunday, 02 August 2009 and Monday, 03 August 2009 posts and leave the last one
05 august is the good one.
im really sorry to bother,if you can help me with that it will be great,if you are busy then its ok
thanks

Randis
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
sorry if it has been asked already but i didn't find any answer so let me ask again.

Someone from this board please tell me the correct deadline for the final submission.
On the banners and in the info its clearly written:

11 June 2009 - 10 September 2009

But the unloader tells me:
Image time left: 1 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes, 1 seconds.

Today is Fr 07. Sept, so whats the last day i can submit?

sknne77
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I am individual and will not be able create my own music, Is it OK if I use music from songs and soundtracks if I Credit them? does it effect judging?

Regards
Ravi

as above also please? be a shame not to have any music if i dont have time to put it together.

diissar
08-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Randis,the deadline for the video challenge is 10 september(video take more time to be made) the image challenge deadline is the 9th august

Louzada
08-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi moderators,

I made a wrong post that, it should be for the category video, in the category image. The title was the one of the video category, but it is not. And it can be confused...

Would like that wrong entrance in the category image was removed, it is possible?

For explanation. The name of the image that I am doing for the category Image is "Celestial Notes - Detective Angel". For the video category is "Celestial video to Notice - In The Darkness".

WRONG POST: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6030794#post6030794

Sorry my bad english,
Hugs

monsitj
08-07-2009, 07:13 PM
hi, I finished upload image both submit entry page and via challenge upload java ,
but when i check back in upload final image , image display correct ,but when i click it , it's display broken link , is it ok ?
can u check my upload please ,don't sure if you recieve my final image or not , it's jpeg aroun 6 mb file , thanks in advance

dvgart
08-08-2009, 12:03 AM
The image challanges end the 9th, but at what time?

walrus
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Just under "1 days, 4 hours, 36 minutes, 35 seconds " from now.When you click on Submit Image, it gives you a down-to-the-second readout of exactly how much time is left. The short version: Not much!

khendar
08-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Is there a way to check oneself if everything is uploaded correctly instead of asking anyone else to check?
I've uploaded all WIPs and the final image as a max. 150k jpg online plus the HQ jpg of the final image via the challenge uploader. both final images are in my wip thread. does that mean everything went fine?

second question: can I attach images in a reply to my own wip thread that won't show as the most recent work on the image? What I would like to do is show some additional images like wireframes and so on without changing the thumbnail that already shows my final image in the Forum (Image) section.

Your final image looks fine.

If you want to attach WIP images that you have hosted in Photobucket or some other site then that's fine.

monsitj
08-08-2009, 05:42 AM
hi, I finished upload image both submit entry page and via challenge upload java ,
but when i check back in upload final image , image display correct ,but when i click it , it's display broken link , is it ok ?
can u check my upload please ,don't sure if you recieve my final image or not , it's jpeg aroun 6 mb file , thanks in advance

sorry to quote , but It still display broken link

Neubius
08-08-2009, 02:39 PM
hello.

In the uploader in 'description' is that where you write the back story, or you write about technique and stuff?

( sorry if this has been asked already but rushing around abit )

Randis
08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
ok, i just installed this funny unloader... i uploaded a 5 mb jpg and the upload bar shows 100% but other than that this app is not telling me anything, is that done or is there supposed to come some message like Upload was "successful" or something?
Is there a way to check if the upload was correct?
Can i just close it now?

YES i did read the help site about the uploader, its written:

13 Status Text : gives feedback of progress

Upload bar shows 100 % since 20 min and this Status Text sais
Uploading File C: bla bla bla
it does not tell me upload is done..

I tried 2 times now, it shows 100% and after half n hour waiting still no message that that image was successfully uploaded.

i am using XP64 if that is of any importance to know.

-------------------------
also in instructions it is written:
FTP
http://features.cgsociety.org/images/spacer.gif
Final submission of print-resolution artwork is to be done using FTP. If you are not familiar with FTP and how to use it, you should seek help on its use well before the close of the challenge - late submissions due to inexperience with FTP will not be accepted.

Does that mean i can use some other FTP client to access the server and upload my image? Where do i find the host name and login info?

diissar
08-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Randis,when the upload is finished you should have an 'upload ok' msg window,i tried uploading from a 64bit windows xp and i couldn't,with my home 32bits xp its working perfectly
try from another pc,and if doesn't work then maybe its because of the java installed on the pc
hope it will help you
good luck!!!

Randis
08-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info, i will try my other machines, tho one of them is also a 64 bit,,,, hope the vista one works oh thats 64 bit vista too... hummm laptop maybe

Randis
08-08-2009, 07:23 PM
A friend did the upload for me... where can i see if the upload was OK?
a new post was created in my Thread with all the text i had in the image unloader but no image or thumbnail... confusing!

MartinNielsen
08-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I have the exact same problem :sad: It worked in the last challenge with the same system :shrug: It says "Upload ok".

diissar
08-08-2009, 07:31 PM
i can see your final image post,normaly it should be ok,when it works a new post with a small resolution version apears,i asked Khendar to check if my image was correctly submited,i think we can't check by ourselvs if its ok or not,if the uploader said 'upload ok' and in the forum you can see the new image with details,then you should be ok i think

Randis
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
nope there is no image loading for me at all, also my post has no preview now.
The final image you see is the lowres file i uploaded with the website but after i uploaded the final highres image with the uploader i can not see any image in my post. please check the last post in my thread, there is text and header final image, but no image

MartinNielsen
08-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I just checked your last post Randis, and I can see the image now.

Randis
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
ok thanks, i guess it just takes a bit time.
i can see the image on my other computer now.

Does someone know what images the judges get to see?
the high res files or the "challenge entry page"?
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/secret_agent/view_entries.php

coz all i see there are this lil compressed 680 px pics...

i don't see any links to higher res images anywhere.
i didn't participate in the previous challenges so i would like to know how it works.
Not asking about judges and rules, just want to know what format of images they will get to see.

diissar
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
i can see your final image too,with the infos(best viewed with 70's agent music)lol

i asked the same question,and Khendar was kind enaugh to explain to us,that they will judge the big rez one,and they post a smaller version because some artists complained in the previous challenges,that other ppl could download their hirez work,so only smaller resolutions are available to the public.
you can read his answer in one or 2 previous pagesback

MartinNielsen
08-08-2009, 08:48 PM
For your information: I just tried loading the forum in Explorer, and everything look fine. In Firefox I still can't see my image though.

Stormf
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Got the exact same problem.

Randis
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
oh damn, i just noticed that i saved the previews and the final image from a wrong progress file.... thats not the final image
what can i do? Just use the image unloader and upload again? Will the old image be replaced?

Thanks

diissar
08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
i asked the same question before,and i was told that it was possible just upload it the same way and then click on the refresh button,a new post will be posted,and the newest file will be judged,i don't know if they will keep the previous version or not

khendar
08-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Randis: Your final entry is fine. The judges get to see the full size image.

You can just upload your final piece again if you have made a mistake.

khendar
08-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Got the exact same problem.

Is this your final Entry ?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6033807&postcount=77

It looks fine to me.