PDA

View Full Version : Proximity Shading Network?

Medicine Horse
06-04-2009, 02:10 AM
I was wandering if any shader wizards out there can help me getting my head around writing a shading network that would shade a surface based on how close an object is to it. I'm really only looking for a spherical based gradient depending on how close object A gets to object B.

I've seen a shading network on highend 3D which use an expression, samplerInfo and setRange to do this but I cannot get the logic.

Any help or ideas to how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MasonDoran
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
use the Distance Tool to drive a SetDriven key that controls the individual colors of the spherical ramp

Medicine Horse
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Interesting. Thanks for this tip I'll try it out today.

Theodocious
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
use the Distance Tool to drive a SetDriven key that controls the individual colors of the spherical ramp

that's a cool idea for something I was working on too.

If it doesn't have to be interactive/live you could cheat it by animating the texture by hand in aftereffects and then using your image sequence... might have a little more control in the long run and you could do bump maps etc that way.

If you figure it out I'd love to see your script!

Medicine Horse
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah I can actually script what MasonDoran suggested pretty easily. I'm still looking to figure out an advanced method that would use nodes only. Anything I come up with I'm willing to share as I am getting help to make this work.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.