PDA

View Full Version : Terragen to LW export probs

aurora
07-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Has anybody ran into a problem when trying to export a Terragen object as a *.lwo file that only 1/4 of the terrain is being converted? Is there away to get the whole field converted? I don't have TG2LW nor plan on getting it. So are there other options? While on this course does anybody know off hand if the terragen surface file specs are available? Maybe I should write my own expoter allowing export of both object and surface data.

marvinl
07-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Does the final exported Lightwave object contain 65,535 points?

If so, most likely Terragen is exporting to the LW5 object format, and that point count is a limitation of the older object format. Unless Terragen can export to the newer LW6+ object format, you won't be able to export complete landscapes that contain greater than 65,535 points.

need4speed
07-22-2003, 09:04 PM
The original Terragen program does export to the old LW format. There was someone who was working on an export option for the new LW format, but nothing has ever been released.

You are not always just getting 1/4 of the terrain, you are getting from a starting X/Z position and moving across the terrain in a set pattern until it reaches the max points per object in the old LW version per object. No way around it easily (I have some ideas), but even at a 257X257 terrain which is the smallest you use in Terragen, you will only get 256X256 points (one line stripped off the end) with your terrain. I have thought about taking a BMP image of the terrain or something and editing it into multiple parts that are 257X257 and then letting TG export each and then you could stitch them in TG....but it would probably be just about as easy to use the BMP file to displace a mesh in Layout and save the displaced mesh as a Save Transformed Object and then you'd have your terrain for editing in Modeler.

Cheers!
Andrew
http://www.cgfocus.com

aurora
07-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it. Although I figured it out late last night. What I was doing was creating my terrains using WorldMachine and exporting to Terragen so I could then turn around and export to LW7.5c. WorldMachine does not have a LW export feature but I might just get in touch with the author and see if I can't create an export feature for it. In the end all I needed to do was go in and make sure my grid point was set to 257x257 in Terragen. That fixed my problem.

MooseDog
07-22-2003, 11:57 PM
depending on what you are trying to accomplish, there may be an easier technique that avoids entirely the enormous number of points mentioned.

to wit: go get a plug-in called FEO (For Export Only). with this you can export your terragen terrain as a .bmp image. w/in LW there are, of course, a bunch of different routes you could take to displace/shape your terrain, depending on your needs. bonus: far less points and polys.

btw, the very newest version, v.09, no longer supports exporting to .lwo :thumbsdow

aurora
07-23-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm still playing with v0.8 for that very reason (no LW export). Actually I really do want the points/polys exported. So I can do extra modeling on the terrain. But I also create a gray-scale heightmap in WorldMachine and save it as either a .tga or a .bmp. Later I use that for the displacement map for the final terrain and then superimposed the modified portions of the exported, poly, terrain over the displacement map. This provides me with the ability to create integrated objects for the terrain plus all the incredible details I can create in WorldMachine. I'm working on a tut on how I do all of this and should have it up in a week or two.

need4speed
07-23-2003, 04:31 AM
Wowza....I didn't even know there was a .9 version out! I guess that's what I miss not being on the Terragen list right now....

Matt did say in the announcement that I noticed he says the LWO export will be back....most likely with new LWO2 format support since he works at DD and they do use LightWave, I would guess that it's been used!

I haven't had to export a terrain in a while, so I just installed version .9 for now. Actually, I do have a terrain I need coming up, but it has minimal detail (flat snowy tundra), so I'm not too concerned about the detail of my terrain....but the nice texturing that TG does as well as the atmosphere work is quite useful.

Cheers!
Andrew

aurora
07-23-2003, 03:28 PM
So what are the changes in version .9? Is there anything really worth upgrading for since I would loose my needed export feature. Although I could always have both installed.

need4speed
07-23-2003, 04:18 PM
There are some interesting changes in version .9, first and most importantly is the MASSIVELY faster rendering time as it starts from the front and works its way back. I'm seriously impressed with that. Clouds in 3D look much better to me (especially with around a 30 depth to them) but maybe that's just me. Cloud reflections, more advanced surfacing features, shadow fixes, and some other things like foam for your water, bigger sky sizes than 10,000, much better terrain sculpting if you need/want to do that from within TG, but as many of us love World Machine, many of us may not need to use that very much...hehe

Someone I noticed on the TG list mentioned having both versions installed. Install the .9 update over your 8.68 and then install 8.68 again to a different directory, that's using Windows XP and YMMV with other Windows versions...I think XP seems to be better about DLLs than previous Windows versions, so you could try that if you want to have both and be able to export your terrains.

Hopefully Matt gets the LWO2 format working with it in the next few weeks along with some other little bug fixes that were still in .9 that he wanted tweaked out as well.

Cheers!
Andrew

MooseDog
07-24-2003, 06:08 AM
Terragen Announcement (http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/future.shtml)

...from the developer's website giving an idea of the immediate/future development :applause: of this still beta condition program. should prove interesting.

aurora
07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
YUMMY!!! Finally hope for rocks and plants! WorldConstruction Set watch out!

cyphyr
07-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Being just a tad dim at the mo I cant seem to find the 0.9 release on the planetside, theres the 0.868 but no 0.9. Am I missing something?
cyphyr

need4speed
07-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Okay, to finish off this now OT thread :P, here is the link to the .9.08 version....you didn't actually get dim, there is not a link on the TG homepage for it...it is not yet the "recommended" version.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/download.php?item=winup9

Cut and paste or whatever ya need to for getting it into your browser.

Cheers!
Andrew

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.