PDA

View Full Version : Biggest on-line collaborative project ever!!! Are you in?

MathNAres
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7894/web2r1c3.jpg

Hello everybody!!!
My name is Matias and I want to start a new project with great ambitions.
The basic idea is make the greatest collaborative movie ever. A great movie with a complex plot and many lovely characters and memorable scenes.

The main Objectives for the people involve are:
1- Make team work experience.
2- Show the world your talent.
3- Have an important addition to your curriculum.
4- Be proud of be part of a landmark in CG history.
5- Have a lot of fun.

The main objectives for the project are:
1- Make a memorable movie.
2- Document all the making process and make it documentation available under a creative commons license.
3- Compete in Film Festivals.
4- use some common hollywood movie elements to allow comparative from audiences. (obviously trying to exceed hollywood standards)
5- Create an entire and interesting new fictional universe. So others can make it's own movies or comics or other fan art and make more complete the story.
6- Make it expansible. the story must be open enough to allow future sequels, prequels, parallel story lines and alternate story lines. (like LOTR or Star Wars)
7- Make some groundbreaking visual effects. As many unseen before effects or situations as possible.
8- Become famous and have a lot of fans.

Well the main concept is show the world not only huge studios can make a hollywood looking film.

The Roots:
Some time ago I started to develop a promotional video, telling a story. But I started to have a lot of ideas about this story making the plot complexer.
So I finally decided make the video about something else and reserve this story for it's own film.
But when I started I realized is too big to be made by me alone in a reasonable period of time.
:lightbulbLink --> Here is some of my earlier work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4yTz2dV2Zs)

The New beginning:
Well, here we are!
The first step will be complete the script. any help and suggestions are welcome
After This will be needed the help of all concept artist and storyboard artist to continue.
The entire project will include all major disciplines in CGI, All type of Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Texturing, Lighting, Rendering, Composing, etc.
Also will needed many other contributions like acting or (actual camera) filming.
Sound editing, Music composing, Photography and all you want to contribute.

All contributions will be described in the movie credits.

Also you can help to find additional help using all internet resources to promote the project. adding banners to your blog or this kind of thing.
You can ask anything you want about the project.
on next post I will talk about the plot.

This is your chance to be part of something big.

Awaiting Interested CG Artists.
Best regards
Matias.

StSabath
06-03-2009, 02:41 PM
yes yes yes and yes,(pm me for details about me..

softdistortion
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi, sounds impressive and your show reel displays some decent CG and comping work also.

I'm looking for projects to add to collabunlimited.com network BETA. Not to replace forum posts like you have here, but to help collect various projects into one collaboration focused site for people wanting this kind of expereince to network and share ideas, strenghts and other resources.

I think we share some common ground with what we are doing.

MathNAres
06-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Hi softdistortion, Hi StSabath,
Is nice to read your answers so soon.

softdistortion, I have take a look to your site "Collabunlimited"
I must admit it is very cool, a nice platform for empower and make grow this kind of project.

I Agree we share some common ground with what we are doing.
Will be great to get this project on your site too. So I'm Agree, you can add this project to your site.
I want to take advantage of all available internet resources too get as many people involved as it's possible.

It is a very good beginning. We must talk about many things on this project.
I really like to start a site for the project (or Collabunlimited sub site :cool: ).
Start a blog and a web page at first to inform the world our goals.
I believe one of the most important collaborations to this project is to promote it.

Let's continue talking and sharing ideas to make it born.

MathNAres
06-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Well, Let's talk about the plot.

The main title is “The Stolen Blueprints”.

Actually, I'm not completely sure from were should start telling the plot.

As I told before one of the main goals is start an “Open Fiction” or a “Wiki Fiction” way to create stories, based on a GNU similar philosophy.

First I will talk about the background and the environment of this fictitious universe. This will be a realistic approach fiction in the sci-fi, action, thriller, suspense and drama genres. The world in this story is basically similar to the real word, Opposite to Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. The movie scenes will be not chronologically sorted.

Many main events will be seen in flashbacks just when it's needed to explain something.

I will tell the main details in a very explanatory way, but in the movie it will be revealed in a mysterious way while the story is told. So I will Spoiler many times the reason for the events before tell the actual events narrated in the story.

This world is not equal to reality. There are some difference in the history and other stuff.

There are Human and not human characters. There are not aliens (but can be in the future).

My idea is Basically 3 main story lines. this stories meets a common point in the middle of the movie but are not obviously related until this point.

And as many other related story lines as you want to add in the background.

First Story Line:

A secret society is trying to conquer the world. This society was active for last 100 years and it's plan is to become more technically advanced than the rest of the world and defeat all nations in a great war, based on it's technical supremacy. (All of this will be discovered near the end obviously)

In this plot the aliens are a good distraction for the masses. The secret society is testing earth-made UFOs and they prefer people believe in extraterrestrials.

In the World War II this secret society created a group of 5 genetically modified humans with bigger brains, this super smart characters are called the HyperSapiens, and they are the main production force of new inventions in the society secret lab. The lab is a very huge place located underground in the desert. All kind of investigations take place in there. (In some way similar to the “Black Mesa Facility” from Half-Life game series)

It is basically the excuse in the plot to allow us to add anything we want.

Can be cloned dinosaurs or any kind of robots or what ever we want to put there.

The HiperSapiens have no moral, the never think about the use of its inventions as a good or a bad thing. They only want to make science and don't care about the rest of the world.

They Practically live in captivity inside this huge lab but the don't realize about it.

The main bad guy in the story is the leader of the secret society a very enigmatic and complex character, I will talk more about him later.

There are many other characters but before talk about all of them I think will be useful start making lists of characters and scenarios to give e better idea about the amount of the needed work to bring it to life.

Characters:

The HiperSapiens:
They are an experiment to make the human brain bigger. This modification must have some collateral effects, I was thinking in a human with body structure similar to a gorilla.
They need to walk using his hands because the big size of the head.
But Because they are civilized they use some king of golf glove to protect his knuckles.
The are named after numbers One to Five.

The Leader of the secret society:
He's name is Vladimir and he is 120 years old. He live so long because the HiperSapiens health technologies keep him alive. He looks much younger like 45 or 50 years old.

Other characters I don't have talked about yet.(But I will describe in next post)
-The fugitive engineer and his clones.
-The triple agent.
-The crazy ufologist.
-The crazy Ufologist girlfriend.
-The Strange Robot. (I will describe it long and detailed in it's own post.)
-The Detective.
-The informant.
And many others.

The scenarios:
-The Secret Lab.
-The Ufologist House.
-The Fugitive Engineer House.
-The Bar.
-The Secret society meetings room.
-The City. (Where most of this places are located)
And many others.

I will continue talking about this story line and the others in next post to avoid make it extremely long.

Also I will talk about the vehicles and many other stuff will need to be created for this project.

softdistortion
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I like what you have in mind here, give and take a few details.

A suggestion- The wiki idea is something I also want to do to experiment with open sorce styled, organic character and plot development. What that means is that you section off the characters and plot into categories in a "good" wiki...

The wiki is public so anyone can add, remove, edit any part of the info at any time in any amount.

The owners can view all versions of the development from ver1 on. They can also revert any sections that are no good or that someone has been irresponsible with and wrecked.

Users can add their info for credits

The whole thing should be promoted in story writing, book club sites etc to invite and hopefully find some skilled participants.

I'm planning on doing this at collabunlimited.com in the future, and eventually hope to have multiple stories open at the same time so people can jot a few character development pieces or plot ideas whenever they feel bored or have an idea or want a change of pace with a no pressure, few minutes of creative outlet. ...

If this fits your ideas, I could have it set up in a day or 2 and we could possibly gain mutual benefits?

I sent you an email regarding the last comments you made...not sure if you got it or not.

megadeth
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Looks like an excellent idea to me and i like the story :)

ovspianist
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
hey man, the idea is great!
it can get awesome result if goes well, i'll be happy to know when it's out.

good luck.

MathNAres
06-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Well, maybe some people start to wondering why “the stolen blueprints”?

So let's continue.

One of many items in the story are the “Turbowinder” blueprints.

The Turbowinder is basically a personal flying device. But this device is important because its energy source. In its designs it coded the solution to make possible the construction of a perpetual motion machine. (An infinite and free energy source) This achievement is the last piece to complete the absolute supremacy of the secret society.

This particular invention was not made by the Hipersapiens, this one was done by a team working at the secret lab. The main engineer in the team (who better understand the math) discover the plans of the society. So he decide to escape and stole the blueprints. (The Blueprints will have multiple manifestations (I will expand it))

The escape of the fugitive engineer (or His Clones) are the main events of the second storyline.

In the beginning this character is being chased, all the motives will be reveal about the middle of the movie.

In this story line is needed a chaser, this is the role of the Triple Agent.

The denomination Triple Agent is because he is an spy, but also he have 2 clones, so it's name is also a joke. None of the 3 triple agent manifestations claims to be the real one.

They are just a team looking for the way to get the blueprints back to Vladimir.

I have a lot of ideas about this particular storyline one of the most important scenes is a car chase. I have already done some cg tests for this particular scene.

I have attached some images I did for this concepts.

Very simple sketch for the possible hipersapiens dimensions.
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2182/hsssuq.jpg

Storyboard from the car chase scene with 2 triple agents in the scene.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3486/shot27chasescene.jpg

Preliminary prototype of the possible blueprints looking.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5463/twbp.jpg

On next Post, I will tell some of the events of this storyline and introduce the rest of the characters.

MathNAres
06-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Here I am again, Sorry for the delay, I was very busy at job, but let's back to the story.

Ok, so I think I must make a list with the storylines to expalin it better.

As I told before the idea is around 3 stoyrlines meeting a common point.

The first storyline I was talking is basically the story of the second half of the movie, after the others meets in the middle. The second storyline I was talking is one of tree in first half.
Small Diagram.

Story 2 ---+
Story 3 ---+---Story 1
Story 4 ---+

I will Describe briefly the rest of the characters.

The crazy ufologist.

This character is obsessed with UFOs and paranoic conspiracy theories.

Is basically obsessive-compulsive about investigate this kind of things but he don't know why.

He has a room in his house with the walls entirely covered by newspapers articles, photographies and notes of his underground investigation.

The mysterious reason for his obsession is because he is a formerly “Earth-UFO” test pilot and his memory was erased after hi was fired after crash one of those vehicles in a test.

(this, as usual, will be discovered after the middle of the movie.)

The crazy Ufologist girlfriend.

She is a very sweet woman, she is deeply in love with the ufologist, mainly because she is grateful with him to take care of she after she become completely blind after an accident.

In this accident she crash with her car in a highway. Her twin sister was in the passenger front seat

and died in the crash.

The ufology girlfriend feels guilty of her sister dead.

She has a guide dog, this dog is a nice character, is very expressive and care a lot about

(I have a couple ideas to use this in an interesting unseen way in the movie)

She will eventually arrive to the secret lab and will receive (without her approval) a bionic eyes implant. After this point she will have an important role with hers new ability (vision zoom, Infrared, x-ray, etc) to discover many things.

The Detective.

This Character is the antihero type. He is full of defects, drinker, corrupt cop, etc.

But eventually he discover the evil plans of Vladimir and he knows left him continue is not negotiable because its implications. So he has no choice but do the correct thing.

The informant.

This character is basically the link between the ufologist and the detective.

At very beginning of the movie the informant is mysteriously killed. Just before give some important information to the ufologist. And the detective is committed by his superior to solve the homicide.

Additionally returning to the hipersapiens I add this image I found over the web, is a real deform skull but can be user a reference for the character modeling.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8853/skullyf.jpg

http://mmmgroup.altervista.org/skull.jpgWell, I rally want to star to put all this and the rest of the info in a wiki so it will be much easier to access the specific data. Oposite to have al of it scatered in many posts.

A soon as it become to be ready I will post the link.

Regards

softdistortion
06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry for delay...just emailed you re wiki.

Jaxko
07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I wouldnt mind helping in smaller not as important bits, I wouldnt want to ruin it:blush:, preferably CGI.
my email: Jacko861(a)hotmail.co.uk
www.jaxko.deviantart.com/gallery/

email me anytime you want :D

MathNAres
07-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi again,
Sorry one more time for the delay (my job is driving me crazy.)
First, Welcome Jaxko. Anybody can help :wavey:
I saw your portfolio and your gallery, your compositions are very good.

I hope will can continue uploading images an talking about the plot this week.
Best regards

Jaxko
07-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi again,
Sorry one more time for the delay (my job is driving me crazy.)
First, Welcome Jaxko. Anybody can help :wavey:
I saw your portfolio and your gallery, your compositions are very good.

I hope will can continue uploading images an talking about the plot this week.
Best regards

thanks very much =D
I'd be glad to help, cant wait for more updates ;)

MatthewNovak
07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Sure, Ill help out!. Just PM me when the work starts.

Ill keep a eye on this thread.

icekiller
08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
yes yes yes and yes,(pm me for details about me..

Youre still in m8 ?

im in too !

MendelReis
08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
hi! am animator! want to join you.

www.mendelreis.blogspot.com (http://www.mendelreis.blogspot.com)
mendelreis@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mendelreis@gmail.com)

MathNAres
08-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the project, MatthewNovak, icekiller, MendelReis.
I was taking a look you your CG works
Sorry I didn't replay earlier. On next Post I will Post some concept images, so if you want you can start developing the effects needed for those things.
Regards.

icekiller
08-15-2009, 05:20 PM
cool =), thats realy nice of you :)

MathNAres
08-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, I will start talking about some visual aspects of the "Strange robot" character.
This character is not the most relevant in the plot but its visual and cinematic construction will be very challenging.
This Character is Basically an small flying spheric shape, provided with a tractor beam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_beam).
In a similar fashion to star trek tractor beams, in can handle objects in the middle of the air.
But Only metallic objects.
This character can extract a cluster of metallic fragments from anything in the scenario. and use it in basically 3 ways.
1 Shaping it to an anthropomorphic shape, to interact.
2 Puting the fragment in the trajectory of an attack as a shield.
3 Trowing all fragment against one or multiple targets as a weapon.

So the complex part is obtain the particle cloud effect in some way similar to this scene from constantine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWn5SN4FRJc)<---Link

Basic Concept images
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5861/strangerobot2.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6198/extrangerobot.jpg

MathNAres
08-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Here we have another visual element for the movie that can start to be developed right now in this early stage. It is in a few words a futuristic portable computer.
It will show in the first minutes of the movie, to tell the audience the existence of unseen hi tech deices in the plot, but keeping the mystery about the origin of it.
my main idea about this sci-fi gadget is a coin size device. the user trow a few inches in front of him and it device start to spin very fast in the air.
and project holograms around it.

Concept images
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2669/crazycomputer1.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4412/crazycomputer2.jpg

If someone want to star to play with concept for this or other element post your images in a new wip critic Thread, and a link to it in this Thread.

Regards :thumbsup:

softdistortion
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
...a coin size device. the user trow a few inches in front of him and it device start to spin very fast in the air and project holograms around it.

It looks cool, but i was thinking about this and wonder if it is fitting to "real world" concepts?

Everything is being integrated now, so it would seem more plausible that you would have something like this>

* http://science.qj.net/Electronic-contact-lenses-to-integrate-HUD-into-eyesight/pg/49/aid/112036
Ever wished you had HUD integrated into your eyesight? Thanks to technology, it looks like you can have useful data floating in your vision.

Engineers managed to come up with electronic contact lenses, which have the potential to project valuable information such as the measure of speed into pilots' eyes, or surf the Internet using a virtual display beamed directly into the lens wearer's eyes.

Or even a total bypass using biomedical technology and go genetic interocular route where the diplay is just seen inside the optic nerve system when the user wants to see it?

Just my 2 cents.
You're doing some good ideas :thumbsup:

MathNAres
08-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi softdistortion,
The electronic contact lens HUD is a very cool concept and I already was thinking about include this kind of devices in the plot.
But my idea about the in eye HUD is for the ufologist girlfriend, as I told the character is blind but will eventually receive a couple of Electronic eyes, then she will have many new skill, including zoom, thermal view, x-ray, a very powerful HUD with trajectory prediction, etc.(Practically a super power)
So all the info about those real devices will be very useful.:thumbsup:

For the futuristic notebook PC, I think the Flying coin have 4 strong points.
1 at the best of my knowledge is fresh and original.
2 allow the interaction of 2 or more users at the same time. (as plot can require)
3 will be more distinctive from the ufology girlfriend eyes.
4 when the story will become as famous as star wars (If it happen (dream is free of charge, ha ha)) An actual size plastic replica of the device can be a cool merchandising product for the fans.

PD:this weekend I will post some concept art for the characters looking.:arteest:
as usual all alternate versions of the characters concept art and tips are welcome.

Regards.

softdistortion
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Makes sense...really got me that you defend your script decisions with clarity and depth like this..without getting defensive...very Excellent reply!

MathNAres
08-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Makes sense...really got me that you defend your script decisions with clarity and depth like this..without getting defensive...very Excellent reply!

:thumbsup: Thank you softdistortion, I always prefer to debate nicely about all topics.

MathNAres
08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, here I'm posting a draw with the essence of the character.
Including some elements related to his personality.
Basically a shy guy with a revenge plan.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/217/sketchfe.jpg

mdillender
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Ummm..is it just me or does your concept look a bit like you?

Let me know if you have any more concepts (environment also) and I'll submit some options to you for review.

Thanks,

MathNAres
09-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Ummm..is it just me or does your concept look a bit like you?

Let me know if you have any more concepts (environment also) and I'll submit some options to you for review.

Thanks,

Hi mdillender,
Yes, this character is partially based on my self but is not pretended to be very similar.

Also I'm doing some of this draws on my free time I'm just finishing another one, "The detective",But Now is not possible for me to advance as fast as I want.

If you or any one want to propose a concept for any Listed (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5911079&postcount=5) character or Location, obviously is welcome.

Regards.

MathNAres
09-04-2009, 12:56 AM
This is a concept for the detective character.
I just put together some ideas about him in this image.
The Anti hero who will become a Hero.-

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2469/sketcdet.jpg

ShaneHudson
09-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I love this idea. Tell me what you want me to do and I will do it. I can do ideas, create the wiki etc. I am not amazing at cgi or anything so I can just do behind the scenes stuff?

MathNAres
09-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I love this idea. Tell me what you want me to do and I will do it. I can do ideas, create the wiki etc. I am not amazing at cgi or anything so I can just do behind the scenes stuff?

Hi Shane,
I was looking your sketchbook, very nice work. :thumbsup:
Basically this project needs all kind of work, concept art, sound, story writing, and many other not CGI specific talent.

By now we are starting the wiki, http://collaborganic.editme.com/TSB
As soon as I complete the main aspects of the story, it will need be fulled of details and basckstory. Also surely many changes to make it more interesting.

Regards.

MathNAres
09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
This is the concept for the "Triple Agent" Character.
This is one of the most physically active characters.
He knows his mission, nothing else matters.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9215/sketchta.jpg

MathNAres
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi there.
Here I'm posting again a draw as an inspiration for the creations of this character.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4543/scketchufo2.jpg
This time is the ufologist. He is a person obsessed by 2 things. His blind girlfriend wellbeing and his implacable searching for the truth.
He knows something is hidden.

icekiller
11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
any update's ?

MathNAres
11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi, everybody.
Sorry I didn't post for many days, I was very ill.
But I Still alive!!!
by now I'm Almost 99% Ok.
Let's continue developing Ideas.
Next week I will continue uploading new content.
Thank you for you patient.
Best regards.

icekiller
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok, cool. What did you have H1N1? (i hope not).

Ill be waiting till i can make some epic stuff :D

Seijiro
11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
The site: http://collaborganic.editme.com/TSB is unavailable it says.

krugar
11-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Matias im liking your ideas and would love to be involved in this project PM me for details on how i can help :buttrock:

kaminari
11-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, here I'm posting a draw with the essence of the character.
Including some elements related to his personality.
Basically a shy guy with a revenge plan.

This is not going to be a Marty Stu thing aimed at your own self gratification, is it?

softdistortion
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
The site: http://collaborganic.editme.com/TSB is unavailable it says.

It closed while MathNAres was away sick.
It can be started up again when he feels up to it.

MathNAres- let me know what's up and how you are doing!

MathNAres
09-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Hello everybody.
First at all, sorry one more time for my long absence.
I was in the middle of many "tsunamis of troubles". Ha ha ha.
But I'm Alive.
I know I leave this project unattended but if you still interested in reach the goals of this idea, we can continue.

IceKiller, I was ill but i wasn't any really dangerous disease.

Krugar, Take note any idea you have.
Soon will be a new site, with the wiki and many more.
I will PM you soon.

Kaminari, It's just concept, obviously the end result can vary too much.
But Basically is not a Marty Stu thing.

SoftDistortion:
I'm alive and now with a little more time to back to the hobbies.
Let's stay in contact.

Best regards to everybody
And Really soon will be updates.

xyz

softdistortion
09-12-2010, 11:02 AM
sorry for missing a reply.
glad you are feeling better. look forward to seeing your progress again. :thumbsup:

threeDrender
09-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I have read your info etc. It looks like a intresting new project. I would like to get involved.
How do I join the team?

MathNAres
10-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Hello Everybody, I was many days without computer. (I discovered something by the hard way. A 500W power supply is not enough to make OpenCL programing experiments with 3 video cards at the same time ha ha ha)
Anyway, lets go to the interesting part.
For anyone interested in join the project, I just setup an email account for this.
All interested people please just sendme an Email to thestolenblueprintssaga(at)gmail(dot)com
Preferably attaching some artwork to the mail or a link to a portfolio if you have one, or web site or blog, etc, etc...

Best Regards

icekiller
10-30-2010, 07:46 AM
great to hear m8

ill drop ya a e-mail :arteest:

MathNAres
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi There!
Here I am again with a Concept Sketch for a character.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8411/sketchinf.jpg
This time is the informant.
The typical office worker... But just in the outside.
This Guy is only thinking in 2 thing, reveal the conspiracy and survive.

MathNAres
11-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi every one.
Sorry One more time for my continuous delays.
Isn't rally my intention. But my job is really exigent in day time.
If you believe slavery is abolished, you never met my boss. Ha Ha Ha.
Anyway, from now I will try t keep the thread more updated.

Regards

Della
12-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Hey there Math, Martin here, from Buenos Aires too.
Musical composer (and animation fan)

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2010, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.