PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering on a Mac?

hailtheempire
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey guys,

we're trying to figure out here at work a good piece of software to setup network renders for a mac, so I can just open a file and blast renders off to every computer on the netwrok running maya. Is there such a thing?

thanks!

D

altruizine
06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Where I'm at we've been using Qube - which is nice and cross platform and very open in terms of extending it to other needs...

we've been enjoying it for maya, nuke, compressor and Red footage conversion... give it a look..

-JF

cheebamonkey
06-05-2009, 01:32 AM
qube and deadline.

foggyball
06-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Did you guys install Qube yourself? I'm having a few issues with static mount points under smb. Also cmdline job submissions via the gui not taking the env var with the job so mental ray reports a SPM_HOST error.
If any of these issues sound familiar I'd be interested to hear how you fixed them.

Dave

FluidEdge
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
If you have Apple Shake, It comes with QMaster which is also worth a look and works with Maya.

tharrell
06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
One thing you'll run into if you're mounting a network share, say /Volumes/MayaProjects/ is that sometimes if the server disconnects that you'll end up with the mount point at /Volumes/MayaProjects1/ etc when you reconnect and some trash/temp files might be left in your original /Volumes/MayaProjects/...

So trash files at the correct spot keeping the server from mounting at the correct spot, keeping textures & scripts from linking up properly as well.

Curious how other folks work around that issue? I normally disconnect from all servers when I notice there's a problem on my slave and sudo rm -rf /Volumes/MayaProjects/*

Which is ugly, but more importantly potentially hugely dangerous... there's gotta be a better way, but I haven't been able to come up with one. Wish there was a little better garbage collection on the OS's behalf in this instance.

foggyball
06-09-2009, 09:08 PM
So are you mounting your shares as afp? Also have you found it useful to use static mount points in an fstab file or do you just manually mount share in the traditional OSX fashion?

It may just be our network setup but I'm finding permissions a headache in Qube.

One final point. If you use mental ray, do you do anything special to get the submitting machines environment variables to go with the job. At present I'm getting an spm_host error, even though all the machines are setup correctly.

Sorry for so many questions. I'll figure it out eventually but it's proving slower than I had hoped.

Dave

dmeyer
01-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Generally not a good idea to use AFP with Qube. AFP mounts are user specific. If you're on OSX go for NFS or Samba.

foggyball
01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
It was a long haul but I finally have Qube! running on a Mac only render farm. I have found smb static mounts using fstab seems to work fine(ish). The render nodes don't get logged in (we just boot and leave them on the login screen) which suits Qube and mentalray as they start as daemons. This makes things easier when rebooting all the render nodes using qbadmin worker --reboot render1.local render2.local.......etc..

There were a lot of small niggles to iron out and some do still persist but it's been worth the effort to finally have Qube control all the jobs rather than mess around manually running scripts.

Leander Schock
02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Backburner for OSX is out:
http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya-station/2010/01/backburner-20102-for-macosx.html?cid=6a01156fc44c77970b0120a877aceb970b

cgbeige
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
From what I'm hearing, the 2010.2 means that it works. Backburner 2010.1 was a disk image with some stuff in it that just resembled working software.

TheNeverman
02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
lol... bit of an inside joke...

From what I'm hearing, the 2010.2 means that it works. Backburner 2010.1 was a disk image with some stuff in it that just resembled working software.

cgbeige
02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
ya, well they would have done us a favour by just making the disk image for that first release empty so some of us didn't waste two days banging away at something that never worked in the first place. It still boggles my mind that discreet (this is still the name of the company judging by the file paths) didn't actually try it after compiling and posting online. Who does that?

Bender83
02-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Smedge. I have just changed to it after working with Qube for 16 months, and I'd never go back. I won't nay-say Qube too much, but it my experience, setup and management weren't as 'artist friendly' as I've found smedge to be. I've found Smedge's error management and 'plug and play' installation very helpful, and great for people like me who aren't entirely technically minded.

Backburner = ><

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2010, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.