PDA

View Full Version : Am trying to avoid photo-real renders...

Magnus3D
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
It would probably be easier for someone to help you if you told us which applications and renderengines you're using. To suggest something based upon nothing is never gonna help you.

Edit: Noticed my reply appeared before your post, this is so weird.

/ Magnus

bala2007
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I've been doing photo-real renders all my 3d life, but this time i need something cartoony unfortunately for me am so stuck with photo-real renders that i can't achieve the cartoon-look i want. Please
i need direction or anything that will help me. I've attached two images, the first is want my current render looks like without any post (forget about the noise in the render. low settings), the second is the kind of look i want to achieve (i know some of it comes from post-production). its a frame from the movie bolt. Thanks.

bala2007
06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
@Magnus3D (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=216022)
i purposely left it open to any software. Anyway, am using 3ds max and vray. thanx

Noticed my reply appeared before your post, this is so weird.
strange.

darinclifton
06-04-2009, 04:09 AM
You should really pay attention to color (I am attaching a quick markup)... If you study Disney/Pixar work, even the more "real" work like Bolt there is always complementary color, light/lights are warm and shadows/indirect's are cool. This really helps push the image around and give you a more cartoon look. Another big item is shadows you really don't want hard shadows of any kind, stick to mapped shadows when possible.
Good Luck,
D
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=143004&stc=1

bala2007
06-05-2009, 11:34 AM
@darinclifton
Thanks for your input, i will do an update and post something soon. appreciate your reply.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2009, 11:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.