PDA

View Full Version : Oil Wars - Concept just for kicks

phix314
06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
So I was reading National Geo the other day, and there was a story about the potential for oil and gas under the north pole. Talking about Russia, the US, other countries and this huge collaborative effort to get it all.

So I was thinkin, that might make a decent base for a really short story, and some accompanying artwork. I have a project now thats taking up all my time, but I wanted to know if there was anyone here who might like to just jot some plot points down on paper with me, and create a little mini story. It'd be an excuse to use the computer, get better with software X, make concept art, etc.

I'm not lookin' for free work from anyone. I'm going to tackle this once I get some time (within 2-3 months if things go well), I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone glares at the 3d grid in _____________ and sighs, wishing they had something to model, texture, and animate.

It's 2047.

In late 2010, Russian subs discovered immense oil fields under the north pole. At first, claims were reasonable. Each country had their own land to drill, and profits were high. Some time in 2024, a war broke out. An unidentified country attacked the fields, destroying refineries and making foes out of governments once friendly to one another.

Drastic actions were taken. Billions of dollars were dropped into military funds. Machines once regarded as fantasy were developed to defend the fields.

So the designs I need to come up with will be arctic based, obviously "futuristic", based on current designs of snowmobiles, plows, drills, mechwarriors, turrets, the whole nine.

No rush. Reply here or shoot me a PM.

Pyke
06-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey man,

I love the idea of a short based in the snow. I'm not sure how to translate your story into a short tho...
Something that you may want to focus on is along the lines of a 'Metal Gear Solid' infiltration by an operative into one of the oil refinery's?

softdistortion
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm with Pyke on going more into suspense.

The arctic setting would be interesting...Conjures images of The Thing.:)

Another thought bubble-
You could combine current event news and have them drill for oil that releases a microbe that wreaks havoc...human pandemic would be obvious, but it could be a twist, perhaps prehistoric, oil eating microbes that decimate oil reserves in the entire earth exacerbating / easing other recent issues?

Or the espionage angle where someone introduces a genetically engineered microbe to sabotage the competitions find and raise the value of their own...an oil version of biological warfare that spirals out of control.

-------
Posted in another thread HERE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5911689&postcount=6) about using open source plot development to get help for this type of project...if you are serious about pursuing this story you have here and interested in trying something like what I described in the link give me a PM or email.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.