PDA

View Full Version : Object Replacement?

Adam8tor
07-21-2003, 06:58 PM
I've been trying to get either Object List or Object Sequence to work using Lightwave 7.5. I've followed the manuals instructions, but can't seem to get results using either method. I was wondering if anyone has gotten either of them to work, and if so if there was a step not mentioned in the manual. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

grafikdon
07-22-2003, 03:35 AM
Could you be more explicit. maybe I could help out 'cause I have a feeling I have been through that jam ( if my understanding of your problem is accurate)

Adam8tor
07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
I've tried both methods. Setting up three objects that are slightly different. Naming them box000, box010, and box20. I've set up the text file using the syntax in the manual then tried using object list as the replacement type.

#LW Object Replacement List
c:\Projects_local\Object_Replacement\objects\box000.lwo
c:\Projects_local\Object_Replacement\objects\box010.lwo
c:\Projects_local\Object_Replacement\objects\box020.lwo

I've also used the same naming convention and tried using Object Sequence as the replacement type. In both cases I can't seem to get any change/replacement to take place. Any idea what I'm missing?

aurora
07-23-2003, 02:49 AM
OK I had not tried this since LW6 so I tried it really quick and I managed to get it to work with ObjList with one small problem which I'll mention in a minute.
Heres how I got it to work.
I create 3 seperate objects in modeler a box, cone, and a ball applied a quick surface to them and saved them as Box.lwo, Cone.lwo, and Ball.lwo respectively.
I then went to layout and loaded only the Box.lwo set a key at 0 at its default location.
Next I created a text file using WordPad and saved it as replacList.txt in Dos text format.
Heres my file:

#LW Object Replacement List
L:\MiscTesting\ObjList\Box.lwo
L:\MiscTesting\ObjList\Cone.lwo
L:\MiscTesting\ObjList\Ball.lwo
L:\MiscTesting\ObjList\Cone.lwo

Next I went back into Layout and went into the box's properties.
I set the 'Object Replacement' to 'Object List'.
Then I hit options and selected my replacList.txt file.
Finally I rendered it.
Now heres where I found the strange thing The last frame (60) and last obj file (L:\MiscTesting\ObjList\Cone.lwo) from the replacList.txt does not show up. Since I only wanted the box, cone, sphere to switch I just added those last two lines to make sure my sphere would show up.
If anybody knows why those last 2 lines have no effect I would love to know.
I hope this helps you. If you have anymore problems or questions just let me know and I'll try to help

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.